Mishmoto or JLT catch can system

Discussion in 'Mustang EcoBoost Maintenance' started by richter111, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jun 14, 2017 #1
    richter111

richter111 Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Which is recommended. Im going to pull the trigger just need input from users. Thanks--RIc

2. Jun 15, 2017 #2
    Moxman

Moxman Ecoboost Senior Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0
    I've seen the Mishimoto can installed and can tell you that it fits perfectly and comes with molded, silicone hoses. That's a huge plus, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #3
    dgc333

dgc333 Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0
    I would go UPR. The hoses come with quick connects on both ends that work much better than the factory ones.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jun 15, 2017 #4
    Squid

Squid Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,182 / 2
    I have heard more talk about the UPR -- I have a Mishimoto and it grabs oil, but people say that the UPR is better.
    Sorry I can't be of more help -- I like mine and think it does a good job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jun 16, 2017 #5
    Punchy

Punchy Ecoboost Master

Ratings:
    +207 / 1
    I have the mishimoto oil can and am happy with mines. I too heard that UPR is better but don't know. Guess it comes down to price and preference. But I know that if you plan on keeping your stang for the long term that the oil can is a must.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jun 16, 2017 #6
    SoCal 2.3

SoCal 2.3 Ecoboost Master

Ratings:
    +297 / 5
    Adam at Tune+ basically insisted I get the UPR dual valve. The Mishi and JLT only work the dirty side. The UPR does both and includes check valves.
    15-16 Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost Dual Valve Oil Catch Can Separator
    And that polished can looks darn good in my engine bay...
    FullSizeRender-78.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jun 16, 2017 #7
    richter111

richter111 Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    How hard was that to install? I looked at the instructions they were pretty basic, not really showing me a whole lot.

8. Jun 16, 2017 #8
    Squid

Squid Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,182 / 2
    Mine was pretty easy --- it went on the PCV hose connections. Hardest thing was to get the fingers up at the connections.

9. Jun 18, 2017 at 10:40 PM #9
    zhent

zhent Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I was watching this thread looking for recommendations too. While it does look like the UPR might be better, the idea of drilling holes into my intake tract before the turbo was a little offputting in their installation instructions. I ordered the Mishimoto, so I'll install it before July...

10. Jun 19, 2017 at 2:08 AM #10
    SoCal 2.3

Ratings:
    +297 / 5
    Your watching OLD info!!! The UPR comes with the silicon intake to turbo connection that T's off to the can...no drilling.....As I'm writing this, I checked out UPR's site. The install info is OLD. Cancel the Mishi....Call UPR...561.588.6630

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jun 19, 2017 at 2:16 AM #11
    SoCal 2.3

Ratings:
    +297 / 5
    This post I copied has been here for over 2 years...with 0 responses????? That says to me, that this company has been on track with our motors before we knew what was going on. This is the can that Adam Tune+ swears by...with the no drill coupler version

What is the most important reason to go with a UPR Dual Valve Catch Can System over a Single Valve ?

The reason is simple to explain and makes perfect sense.

A Single Valve Catch Can will do a good job. But because the PCV will still be able to push air/oil backwards out the unprotected side through your intake stream it will not be able to function properly. Reducing Performance and MPG at WOT.

The UPR Dual Valve Catch Can System will do the best job because it will not only protect your system while cruising. It has the second valve to rely on during WOT. When your engine goes into boost it will be able to provide a very strong vacuum for crankcase evacuation improving MPG and Overall Performance.

This is something that a Single Valve or Twin Catch Can System will never be able to do. When they are under WOT they both just pressurize the crankcase and allow pressure to be on top and on bottom of the piston. The key is protect your engine and make it more efficient not less. This is why vacuum pumps are so effective because they are under constant one direction suction controlling the direction the oil flows.

This is the same thing as a Dual Valve Catch Can System accomplishes by having the UPR WOT Dual Valve Setup. So when the engine goes into boost the intake tube gets pressurized and closes the check valve and stops you from boosting your catch can and crankcase, resulting in higher boost and more power. Now the WOT line becomes active utilizing the vacuum from the inlet side of the turbo creating a stronger vacuum to compensate for the extra scavenging and oil control needed.

This is the only way to provide the proper evacuation throughout the RPM range with turbo's and supercharger's. These systems are the only choice on the Ecoboost platform for optimum results and performance.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 2:38 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jun 19, 2017 at 2:44 AM #12
    zhent

zhent Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    So if I order from them, can I get your kickback? UPR hasn't posted here in nearly 2 years, so we don't have a discount code from them. I like supporting vendors that support the community. If the vendor I bought the Mishimoto from started carrying the UPR today and I could use my discounts for it I'd consider cancelling and re-ordering.

While I understand the technical reason, I also understand that any company who makes a change to their product but doesn't change their installation instructions to reflect that change is doing only half the job.