MrScharfenberger's 2015 Ecoboost Build

Discussion in 'Mustang EcoBoost Builds' started by MrScharfenberger, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    MrScharfenberger

MrScharfenberger Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    Well I couldn't take it any longer. I love my little Ecoboost Mustang but it is just TOO DANG SLOW to be a good daily driver. Just about a year ago I got the Cobb Access Port and bumped it up to the 93 octane tune and that was cute but it still needed more.

My Goal: I want to duplicate the MAP 501whp 2.3 Ecoboost build using MAP parts. They have some proven combinations so I see no reason to mix and match parts on my own.

Phase 1: Cold air intake system, Intercooler, BOV, upgraded charge piping, cat-less down pipe, non resonated cat back exhaust

Phase 2: MAP big Turbo Kit

As of right now all of the phase 1 upgrade equipment has been ordered from MAP and is on the way. That was about $2500 bucks worth of stuff. I'll post pictures of all of the parts after it arrives. I'll also post pictures/details/observations about the installation process. Phase 1 will be to get all of the supporting equipment installed for the bigger Turbo kit later that will be Phase 2.

I plan on installing all of the Phase 1 parts during the 4 day weekend Thanksgiving break.

If you have question or comments please feel free to leave them here. All thoughts & experience are welcome.

Here is my car. It is a 2015 and is an absolute base model. No fancy stuff on this one so she is about as light as they come. I got it on the Ford Z plan for $22,280. To me that was a deal considering a Mustang GT can easily go for over $40,000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nov 15, 2016 #2
    Squid

Squid Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,182 / 2
    It's about time ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #3
    16EcomustangDIB

16EcomustangDIB Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Very cool, subscribed!

4. Nov 16, 2016 #4
    PewterCam

PewterCam Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    What are you doing for fueling?Pump gas will only get you to 380 or so whp with a stock fuel system. I believe MAP hit their 500whp number using ms109 Race gas on the stock fuel system.

5. Nov 16, 2016 #5
    MrScharfenberger

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    I sent a list of technical questions to MAP but have not received a response yet. One of the things that I asked for was a parts list for that 501whp number. If I have to put in an additional fuel management/delivery system to get to that 501whp mark then I'll do it. There are a couple of options on the market right now to get that done and they are bolt in parts as far as I can tell. Programming an auxiliary fuel management system would be the bigger task but there are probably folks out there that can help with that too. I'll get it figured out.

EDIT: Right now I'm having a bit of an issue chasing down the right tune for the Cobb Access Port for this parts combination. Still waiting on what MAP has to say. I may give up on eMail communication with them and just have to give them a call. They must be busy. Getting replies from them is tough. ....but they do ship parts fast!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. Nov 17, 2016 #6
    PewterCam

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Give them a call. They may be able to hook you up with one of the soon to be released HPFP's which will give enough headroom in the fuel system to max out the stock injectors.

7. Nov 17, 2016 #7
    MrScharfenberger

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    Sorry... This whole 4 Cylinder/Turbo/Fuel Injected world is new to me. What is a(n) "HPFP's"?

8. Nov 17, 2016 #8
    Vanetti

Vanetti Ecoboost Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    High Pressure Fuel Pump. The biggest restriction after going with a turbo upgrade is the fuel system. Stock fuel pump can't flow enough gas to keep up with a big turbo so it limits the gains. Several hpfp are being released soon. Looks like they will be around $1500 unfortunately.

9. Nov 17, 2016 #9
    Squid

Squid Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,182 / 2
    Just drop a big block in it. :D

10. Nov 17, 2016 #10
    MrScharfenberger

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    That is pretty high for a fuel pump. Any idea what brands will be releasing them?

11. Nov 17, 2016 #11
    MrScharfenberger

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    ...ironically enough I do have a spare big block lying around.

12. Nov 17, 2016 #12
    PewterCam

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Livernois and RTR will have them out in the coming month or two and I heard Vargas Turbo Tech has one in the works as well. Yes its expensive but the HPFP pump upgrades are literally a 5 min install and a tune required to get 550 hp capable fuel system. Compare this to an AUX system which is a little cheaper but you have to install the injector hard parts, run wiring for the controller, Fuel lines, then tune not only the ECU but also the Controller. Really the cost savings from an Aux fuel system even out when you compare the two.