Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a new 2020 EcoBoost with the performance package and the 10R80 and I've noticed a whirring noise when the transmission shifts. I mostly hear it through the first few gears when taking off from a stop with the windows down. I've also realized that it does it when I shift back-and-forth between 1st and 2nd gear with the paddles while stationary. I'm hoping this is normal, but I've been unable to find any mention of this through my searches.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
57 Posts
I can't help you with this, but I would suggest noting that it's possibly transmission related, your transmission type, modal year, and adding that to the thread title for better help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's fair, thank you. I made some edits. I'm hoping fellow 10R80 owners can confirm if their vehicles also make this sound or not when switching gears. I have an appointment at my dealership Friday to have a scratch repaired and I want to know if I need to bring this up or not while I'm there. Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a new 2020 EcoBoost with the performance package and the 10R80 and I've noticed a whirring noise when the transmission shifts. I mostly hear it through the first few gears when taking off from a stop with the windows down. I've also realized that it does it when I shift back-and-forth between 1st and 2nd gear with the paddles while stationary. I'm hoping this is normal, but I've been unable to find any mention of this through my searches.
I just started hearing this exact same thing in my 2019 GT. Did you ever learn what the sound was, is it a problem, did you have it fixed? You wrote an excellent description, and like you, I can't find anything online about this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just started hearing this exact same thing in my 2019 GT. Did you ever learn what the sound was, is it a problem, did you have it fixed? You wrote an excellent description, and like you, I can't find anything online about this.
I never figured it out, no. I test drove another 10-speed EcoBoost while I was at the dealership shortly after my original post and it made the same noise during shifts, it just wasn't as audible as mine. My 10-speed hasn't failed, but it has developed more issues since. One in particular being after going WOT the transmission will occasionally get stuck in this loop of jerking and shifting back and forth. I have to mess with the shift lever to get it to stop. It's also extremely clunky, jerky and feels as if it's slipping a lot of the time. I saw a video on YouTube of a GT owner having the same shifting back and forth issue and he solved it by having his dealership apply an update to his transmission software. He said it remedied his other clunky and jerky issues as well. I tried to have an update done a couple of weeks ago, but my dealership just reset the transmission learning and sent me on my way, which solved nothing. I will be taking it back in again once I have a chance. I know this transmission is known to be quirky in general, and I can live with quirky, but this stuff just isn't normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! I spoke with my service manager, and he advised me to wait until I had 5-6K Miles, or call back if it got worse or had other problems. I'm just at 2500 miles now. So for now, it's just wait and see.

Good luck with yours. Hopefully a software update will fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the same issue with my 2018 F-150... I got a vid on youtube. I’ve never been able to get a definitive answer on it (although I really haven’t followed up on it for the past year). My best guess is pressure pulsation or cavitation happening with the vanes in the variable vane pump..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have the same issue with my 2018 F-150... I got a vid on youtube. I’ve never been able to get a definitive answer on it (although I really haven’t followed up on it for the past year). My best guess is pressure pulsation or cavitation happening with the vanes in the variable vane pump..
What's the link of your video?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I never figured it out, no. I test drove another 10-speed EcoBoost while I was at the dealership shortly after my original post and it made the same noise during shifts, it just wasn't as audible as mine. My 10-speed hasn't failed, but it has developed more issues since. One in particular being after going WOT the transmission will occasionally get stuck in this loop of jerking and shifting back and forth. I have to mess with the shift lever to get it to stop. It's also extremely clunky, jerky and feels as if it's slipping a lot of the time. I saw a video on YouTube of a GT owner having the same shifting back and forth issue and he solved it by having his dealership apply an update to his transmission software. He said it remedied his other clunky and jerky issues as well. I tried to have an update done a couple of weeks ago, but my dealership just reset the transmission learning and sent me on my way, which solved nothing. I will be taking it back in again once I have a chance. I know this transmission is known to be quirky in general, and I can live with quirky, but this stuff just isn't normal.
Did you find the solution for your transmission, I noticed the same noise on my transmission yesterday. I have a 2019 Ecoboost 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any luck?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have almost exactly the same noise. Have them check your transmission level? I am taking my car to the dealer next week.
I just saw a video on youtube saying that a lot of brand new cars are coming with low transmission fluid from factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have almost exactly the same noise. Have them check your transmission level? I am taking my car to the dealer next week.
Yeah, it sounds worse/louder than it comes across in the vid... I haven’t had fluid level checked, since trans shifts fine, but I prob should. Give an update once u go to the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, it sounds worse/louder than it comes across in the vid... I haven’t had fluid level checked, since trans shifts fine, but I prob should. Give an update once u go to the dealer.
My trans shift fine it's just the annoying noise when windows are down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any luck?
No, it hasn't gone away, maybe slightly worse. No codes in the system, and the dealer said these throw so many codes that if anything is off, it will give a code (check engine light, etc, and read code through the OBDII).

My theory is the pump gears make this noise during shifts because the load increases due to higher trans fluid pressure when shifting, as the solenoids operate the clutch bands. But that's just my guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
watdap bros. I have a 2019 mustang gt 10r80 and I get this rattle/grinding noise during shifts, mainly sports mode. I've had the rattle since 5k and I brought it to a local ford dealer (not where I purchased it) for them to check up on it but they said they couldn't hear it.... Now at almost 16k, I am taking this **** back on Monday to the Ford dealership I bought the car at. I told them specifically I will drive the damn car and make sure they hear it this time lol. I'll keep you guys posted. Also, does anyone else have a whistling noise on the 4th and 5th notch on the heater? I think it mainly does it on the defroster. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
watdap bros. I have a 2019 mustang gt 10r80 and I get this rattle/grinding noise during shifts, mainly sports mode. I've had the rattle since 5k and I brought it to a local ford dealer (not where I purchased it) for them to check up on it but they said they couldn't hear it.... Now at almost 16k, I am taking this **** back on Monday to the Ford dealership I bought the car at. I told them specifically I will drive the damn car and make sure they hear it this time lol. I'll keep you guys posted. Also, does anyone else have a whistling noise on the 4th and 5th notch on the heater? I think it mainly does it on the defroster. Thanks.
Same Issue here, Mustang Ecoboost 2019 18,000 miles, I had an appointment at the dealer for March 31st but I couldn't make it, new appointment is for April 16th. I think I know already the answer (normal noise on this 10r80 transmissions)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts