Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
285/30/20
According the calculator I use, his tires are about 2.2% smaller in circumference than stock 235/55-17. Overall height is less, at 26.7" vs. 27.3", for what it's worth. The extra width, all things being equal, would generate more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
FWIW, Having a diameter that is smaller that what the speedo was calibrated for would register more miles traveled than the car actually went resulting in artificially higher mileage.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
I average 23-25 mpg in normal driving. Put it on the track at Hallett, and my mpg is around 8.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,010 Posts
Well

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a bit baffled, i live in London, so traffic and constant pulls to be fair.
I was doing this stock and was still getting 18 MPG, 23-26 easy when driving it in cruising mode on motorway.

But the stage 2 + Lund Tune got me down at 12-14 MPG city (MPG was down even before the tune to be honest just with the parts) cruising it on motorway does not get it past the 17.
I shift manually now and try keep it on highest gear unless i want to slam it.

Makes me wonder what would of happened had I just gone for the GT.

Would I have been averaging 6 MPG or would it of just been the same consumption as the EB with all the added upgrades?

Tempted to go for a test drive one the v8 and check mpg but I think the guy would freak out if he saw me driving the car like that.

What are you aggressive urban drivers getting?
Hey

Did you solve you problem anyhow?
I still struggling with 14 mpg avarage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey

Did you solve you problem anyhow?
I still struggling with 14 mpg avarage.
I just came to the realisation that its to do with driving habit. I always run it in Sport + and drive in a highly congested city full of speedbumps so its a constant mashing of the accelerator to then brake.

When run with cruise control in normal on the motorway its a game changer, but where is the fun?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Driving style is everything. I recall many, many years ago, perhaps in Road & Track, reading a little blurb about an experiment someone ran in Europe. I don't recall the exact figures for each item but they are something like the following. They took two identical cars and had the drivers leave for a trip that would take about 8 hours of driving. One driver drove as fast as they could, presumably bobbing and weaving and then having to slow as they caught traffic. The other driver drove as quickly as they could but with the flow of traffic, passing as required but otherwise with the flow. The first driver shaved something like 20-30 minutes off the total time but they used something like 30% more fuel and used the brakes something like 50% more. So you can imagine what you end up with if you drive like this all the time over 10s of thousands of miles/kilometres.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am a bit baffled, i live in London, so traffic and constant pulls to be fair.
I was doing this stock and was still getting 18 MPG, 23-26 easy when driving it in cruising mode on motorway.

But the stage 2 + Lund Tune got me down at 12-14 MPG city (MPG was down even before the tune to be honest just with the parts) cruising it on motorway does not get it past the 17.
I shift manually now and try keep it on highest gear unless i want to slam it.

Makes me wonder what would of happened had I just gone for the GT.

Would I have been averaging 6 MPG or would it of just been the same consumption as the EB with all the added upgrades?

Tempted to go for a test drive one the v8 and check mpg but I think the guy would freak out if he saw me driving the car like that.

What are you aggressive urban drivers getting?
I did a lot of urban (Bristol, UK) driving in my ecoboost and now do the same trips in my GT. I have experienced no difference in MPG between the two cars, people will dispute that, but after 4 years of ownership (combined), I know that to be the case. In short, the ecoboost didn't live up to it's 'eco' claim, whereas the GT has exceeded my MPG expectations. The one logical explanation is that I was always trying to 'prove a point' in the 2.3T and that I am being more 'mature' in the GT. All that said, however hard I drove the ecoboost (6-speed auto), I never got down to your kind of figures. I am currently averaging 20 mpg in the GT 2020 manual (poor because of being stuck in traffic), on motorway runs it comfortably cruises at 35+ mpg. In short your MPG sound terrible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did a lot of urban (Bristol, UK) driving in my ecoboost and now do the same trips in my GT. I have experienced no difference in MPG between the two cars, people will dispute that, but after 4 years of ownership (combined), I know that to be the case. In short, the ecoboost didn't live up to it's 'eco' claim, whereas the GT has exceeded my MPG expectations. The one logical explanation is that I was always trying to 'prove a point' in the 2.3T and that I am being more 'mature' in the GT. All that said, however hard I drove the ecoboost (6-speed auto), I never got down to your kind of figures. I am currently averaging 20 mpg in the GT 2020 manual (poor because of being stuck in traffic), on motorway runs it comfortably cruises at 35+ mpg. In short your MPG sound terrible.
I understand what you mean perfectly, the GT just roars nicely at any rev count. The EB I tend to have to floor it so it sounds rasp and aggressive and not drony.

Well I have done quite a few mods and running a tune file so all the extra power must come from somewhere, which could explain the lower figures than yours.

If i wouldn’t have stand-still traffic everyday and needed the benefit of a torquey nimble handling to make very quick overtakes and sharp cornering I would of personally definitely gone for the GT.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts