Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my FP tune installed a little over a week ago on my 2020 eco premium and am having issues with not being able to communicate with the PCM in the configure tab. it does not show the correct 3.15 axle ratio or the tire size revs per mile number that it should and I cannot change those values because when in the configure tab screen it shows the message "
"Error reading PCM data"
"Verifying"
"Error reading vehicle data"

It never lets the axle ratio and tire rev gauge light up like they should if there is communication between the PCM and laptop and populate with correct numbers. The axle ratio is fixed at 2.70 versus the 3.15 it should be, and the tire rev is at 732.00 versus the 760 it should be according to the method the instructions say to use by marking the tire and ground and rolling one full revolution and measure the distance it travels which on my car is 83.375 inches. Car is running fine and seems to be better performance wise with correct speedo reading compared to my GPS speed app. Stock 1/4 mile time was 14.48/100mph and time after FP tune was 13.98/104mph so good improvement.

Also, if I go to the program tab and select the "PCM.recorder.PC3" file which should be the saved stock calibration and open the file there is no program or restore buttons illuminated so am unable to reflash back to stock calibration.

I have a buddy with the FP program in a 17 eco and he can flash back and forth from the performance cal to stock with no issues and has the restore button come up when he opens the 'PCM.recorder.PC3" file. Also with his program when he goes to configure tab it automatically shows "Verifying" and populates the correct 3.15 axle ratio and 764 for tire rev number.

I have contacted FP tech and they had me send screen shots of the pages where the issues are occurring but have not heard back yet from them.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and what you did to correct them or if you were even able to get corrected.

Same issue as in this old thread.
Ford performance procal 3 | Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum

BD

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I am screwed and a word of warning to anyone with an 18+ eco and likely even other fords.
I missed the note at the very bottom of the FP tuner info page that states

Note: Due to limitations in the PCM, if stock calibration re-installation is required, you must go to a Ford dealer for 'as-built' calibration installation. Any questions, please contact the Ford Performance Tech-line.

So, the only way I can go back to stock is have my dealer reflash the PCM with the "as built' calibration in my PCM. 馃槧馃槧馃槧馃槧馃槧馃槧

BD

Registered
Well, I am screwed and a word of warning to anyone with an 18+ eco and likely even other fords.

Note: Due to limitations in the PCM, if stock calibration re-installation is required, you must go to a Ford dealer for 'as-built' calibration installation. Any questions, please contact the Ford Performance Tech-line.

So, the only way I can go back to stock is have my dealer reflash the PCM with the "as built' calibration in my PCM. 馃槧馃槧馃槧馃槧馃槧馃槧

BD
Man, I'm sorry you are going through this. Sadly, it sounds like some typical manufacturer / dealer nonsense!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manufacturer yes, dealer not really other than if they as a whole pushed ford to remove the customers' ability to flash from the FP tune back to stock tune freely. My buddy with a 17 eco can flash from FP to stock as well.

I should have read the product page info more closely about the disclaimer statement I quoted above. I did not fully understand just what it meant so that's on me, but the issue with the configuration pertaining to the axle ratio and tire revolutions adjustment should work. The FP tech rep has forwarded that to engineers to figure out why it will not allow changes to be made.

Honestly had I understood that I could not return to the stock tune when I choose to do so I would have never bought the FP tuner. If they cannot fix the configure issue, then I may have a chance to get the stock tune reflashed at the expense of FP and get the cost of the tuner refunded but I am not holding out much hope on that.

This is more to inform other with 18+ mustangs that once you flash the FP tune you cannot go back freely at your choosing.

Thanks for your concern.

BD

Registered
"but the issue with the configuration pertaining to the axle ratio and tire revolutions adjustment should work"

Being able to adjust for gearing and tire sizing is my concern! When I purchased my E85 kit, the complete aftermarket tuning package was included. So, I don't know if the standard (non transmission) package, has the gearing/tire sizing feature... But it seems important, especially, since our ECUs seem to communicate with every inch of our modern automobiles!
If I see the Ford Performance guys this weekend (at the Ford Performance Nationals, they should be there!!), I'll ask them!

Registered
I have a buddy with the FP program in a 17 eco and he can flash back and forth from the performance cal to stock with no issues and has the restore button come up when he opens the 'PCM.recorder.PC3" file. Also with his program when he goes to configure tab it automatically shows "Verifying" and populates the correct 3.15 axle ratio and 764 for tire rev number.
Same for me, as of the last time I opened it up and connected (at least a year or so now).

Registered

BD
Correct. It's been brought to the forums a couple times that people weren't able to flash back without going to the dealer.

It's actually the ONLY reason I've kept an OLD windows 7 laptop that is running like proCal 3 or some outdated version, because I don't even wanna RISK updating that software, or trying to upgrade the OS and breaking the program. the laptop serves one purpose, and that's to flash me back to my stock config if I ever need to.

Registered
FWIW, I've throroughly enjoyed the FP tune. Especially having the 6 speed auto with the big 3.55 diff....I feel the performance tuning is more than adequate for a great acceleration experience and of course the accompanying tweaks on the transmission make it even better. I also appreciate the safety measures left in place by the engineers, where maybe, with some custom tunes, there might be t's that don't get crossed or i's that don't get dotted. I've been running the FP tune just about the entire 70K on the car, and while I'd like to go Cobb and custom at some point (better performance, better fuel effiency)...I feel I won't do that until I can clearly say that this car is NOT my daily driver. And I'm not ready to do that yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"but the issue with the configuration pertaining to the axle ratio and tire revolutions adjustment should work"

Being able to adjust for gearing and tire sizing is my concern! When I purchased my E85 kit, the complete aftermarket tuning package was included. So, I don't know if the standard (non transmission) package, has the gearing/tire sizing feature... But it seems important, especially, since our ECUs seem to communicate with every inch of our modern automobiles!
If I see the Ford Performance guys this weekend (at the Ford Performance Nationals, they should be there!!), I'll ask them!
Yes, please ask the ford guys about the inability to return to stock cal on 18+ vehicle and the reasoning as to why they chose to remove that option. Also, about the inability to change the setting in the configure tab, I.E. axle ratio. tire size rev/mile, octane adjust and profile learning. From what the FP rep I spoke with yesterday i should be able to use those features.

BD

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct. It's been brought to the forums a couple times that people weren't able to flash back without going to the dealer.

It's actually the ONLY reason I've kept an OLD windows 7 laptop that is running like proCal 3 or some outdated version, because I don't even wanna RISK updating that software, or trying to upgrade the OS and breaking the program. the laptop serves one purpose, and that's to flash me back to my stock config if I ever need to.
I don't believe it will be an issue on 15-17 vehicles being able to flash back and forth from stock to FP rather only on 18+. You own the calibration for your car as it is tied to your VIN and should be able to load it into any computer to flash your car with but like you, I am not 100% sure so would keep old laptop for sure. If you transfer the calibration file from old laptop to a thumb drive and load into to new computer without downloading from Procel program and use the transferred file to flash from you should be good.

BD

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW, I've throroughly enjoyed the FP tune. Especially having the 6 speed auto with the big 3.55 diff....I feel the performance tuning is more than adequate for a great acceleration experience and of course the accompanying tweaks on the transmission make it even better. I also appreciate the safety measures left in place by the engineers, where maybe, with some custom tunes, there might be t's that don't get crossed or i's that don't get dotted. I've been running the FP tune just about the entire 70K on the car, and while I'd like to go Cobb and custom at some point (better performance, better fuel effiency)...I feel I won't do that until I can clearly say that this car is NOT my daily driver. And I'm not ready to do that yet.
It's not that I don't like the FP tune and it has improved my cars performance very noticeably so that is all good. Its just that with gas continuing to rise in prices I was under the impression I could flash back to stock cal to use 87 if the need arises. I live on a fixed income and so that day may come for me that I have to make a choice. Its just now I will have to pay my dealer to reflash back versus being able to do myself.

Its on me for not reading and fully understanding the the facts of not being able to flash back myself. I just think that FP should have highlighted the "note" about having to have dealer reflash back to stock better in the product page description.

live and learn.

BD

Registered

When I did my FP tune I went to the mom and pop computer store and bought a used laptop for the same reason. I wanted a dedicated laptop only for the FP tune. When I installed FP tune it gave me the option to transfer info to thumb drive (which I did) So is that the stock tune that was put on the thumb drive ? I boot up the laptop every now and again to make sure its ok, but never tried to go back to stock tune since I installed the FP tune or even bothered with the tune for that matter, it was installed I'm happy with it (didn't have a need to mess with it) I thought that was the purpose of the thumb drive. I have a 2019 and did the FP tune some time in 2019 so would I have to go to dealer for stock reflash not that I want to just curious.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I did my FP tune I went to the mom and pop computer store and bought a used laptop for the same reason. I wanted a dedicated laptop only for the FP tune. When I installed FP tune it gave me the option to transfer info to thumb drive (which I did) So is that the stock tune that was put on the thumb drive ? I boot up the laptop every now and again to make sure its ok, but never tried to go back to stock tune since I installed the FP tune or even bothered with the tune for that matter, it was installed I'm happy with it (didn't have a need to mess with it) I thought that was the purpose of the thumb drive. I have a 2019 and did the FP tune some time in 2019 so would I have to go to dealer for stock reflash not that I want to just curious.
Yep, doesn't matter if you put the tune calibration on a thumb drive or allowed it to install on the laptop, it is not the stock calibration file. You should show two files when you open the FP program in the laptop, One will be specific to your vehicles VIN number and the other will say "PCM.recorder.PC3" which on a 2105-2017 vehicle will be the stock calibration file. It is not the stock calibration file on a 18+ vehicle.

You will have to have dealer reflash the stock "as built" calibration file into the PCM if you choose to go back to stock.

See post #4 link for the product info on the M-9603-M4C tuner at bottom of info under "note" paragraph.

BD

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boosted23
Do you by chance remember if when you installed your FP tune did you go to the configure tab and check to see if the axle ratio and tire revolutions per mile auto populated with the correct axle ratio for your car and the correct tire rev number or sis it just show a greyed out gauges with a 2.70 axle ratio and 732.00 for tire rev number.

Or if you don't remember, would you be willing to connect your laptop to your car and just open the FP calibration file so that the configure tab is highlighted and see if it auto populates the correct info in both the lower gauges or they remain greyed out with the 2.70 and 732.00 showing like the image below.

BD

Product Computer Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment

Registered
Boosted23
Do you by chance remember if when you installed your FP tune did you go to the configure tab and check to see if the axle ratio and tire revolutions per mile auto populated with the correct axle ratio for your car and the correct tire rev number or sis it just show a greyed out gauges with a 2.70 axle ratio and 732.00 for tire rev number.

Or if you don't remember, would you be willing to connect your laptop to your car and just open the FP calibration file so that the configure tab is highlighted and see if it auto populates the correct info in both the lower gauges or they remain greyed out with the 2.70 and 732.00 showing like the image below.

BD

View attachment 42598
I will check for you tomorrow, I should have the info for you between 4:00-5:00pm eastern time. I don鈥檛 remember all the details when I did the install it was a few years ago.

Registered
2017 PP MT DD
The EMS on the 2018 onwards is different from the 2015 to 2017/18 and again for the HPP

There are some incompatible issues with the AP tuning as well. One of them being map slots. 2015 to 2017 can have up to five map slots activated 2018 there are none. One tune one map slot. There was a post somewhere that I read that explained this further

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will check for you tomorrow, I should have the info for you between 4:00-5:00pm eastern time. I don鈥檛 remember all the details when I did the install it was a few years ago.
That sounds great and I really appreciate it. That is all mine will show and I would like confirmation that it should actually auto populate with the correct axle ratio and tire revolutions per mile number.

I have a ticket with FP tech dept about this issue so knowing I truly have an issue will help me get results to solve it.

Again thanks

BD

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The EMS on the 2018 onwards is different from the 2015 to 2017/18 and again for the HPP

There are some incompatible issues with the AP tuning as well. One of them being map slots. 2015 to 2017 can have up to five map slots activated 2018 there are none. One tune one map slot. There was a post somewhere that I read that explained this further
Not so much concerned with having more than one MAP slot but rather being able to go from stock MAP to performance MAP as I choose to do so.

BD

Registered

I remember talking to a Cobb Rep about being able to enhance the new 10R80 transmission with my recently purchased tuning device. And at the time, I was told "this feature is not available". To my knowledge the transmission was the only major change. And I've since seen other electronic devices that are only compatible with the 2015 to 2017 Mustang. Wonder if the 10R80 takes up any and/or all the spare room of our ECU, or did Ford, reduce the the potential of our ECU!?
PS; My Pro Tuner did find a way around it... But, I'm running with zero warranty, zero insurance, every time I go through the gates at the track. Of course not everyone is plagued with insanity, as I am...!?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I have read that there is as enhancement available for the 10R80 from some tuners on a cobb now, but it is an extra fee to have it added. I may be wrong though.

Interesting point about all the room on the 18+ PCM being used up with the new trans software.

BD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts