Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I thought I have read that there is as enhancement available for the 10R80 from some tuners on a cobb now, but it is an extra fee to have it added. I may be wrong though.

Interesting point about all the room on the 18+ PCM being used up with the new trans software.

BD
Yes, my tuner does charge an additional fee for transmission tuning. Not sure how much, mine was included as part of a package.

Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Registered
324 Posts
I remember talking to a Cobb Rep about being able to enhance the new 10R80 transmission with my recently purchased tuning device. And at the time, I was told "this feature is not available". To my knowledge the transmission was the only major change. And I've since seen other electronic devices that are only compatible with the 2015 to 2017 Mustang. Wonder if the 10R80 takes up any and/or all the spare room of our ECU, or did Ford, reduce the the potential of our ECU!?
PS; My Pro Tuner did find a way around it... But, I'm running with zero warranty, zero insurance, every time I go through the gates at the track. Of course not everyone is plagued with insanity, as I am...!?
That's not insanity. You're just livin right!

·
Administrator
6,644 Posts
But, I'm running with zero warranty, zero insurance, every time I go through the gates at the track. Of course not everyone is plagued with insanity, as I am...!?
I feel your pain. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought I have read that there is as enhancement available for the 10R80 from some tuners on a cobb now, but it is an extra fee to have it added. I may be wrong though.

Interesting point about all the room on the 18+ PCM being used up with the new trans software.

BD
Hello
I didn’t forget about you yesterday, the laptop I had the pro cal tune on crapped out the computer store said it was toast. That’s what I get for buying a used laptop. Anyway I talked to Ford performance and the tech said the only purpose for putting the file on thumb drive is for you to be able to make changes like gear ratio, tire size etc. It’s not your factory tune. Once the tune is in the car you can’t remove it unless you go to dealer and have the car reflashed AS BUILT from factory.

After I get my pro cal downloaded on new computer. I will upload the thumb drive file to see if I can make changes to tire/axel ratio. The tech said if you didn’t save that file you can’t make any changes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello
I didn’t forget about you yesterday, the laptop I had the pro cal tune on crapped out the computer store said it was toast. That’s what I get for buying a used laptop. Anyway I talked to Ford performance and the tech said the only purpose for putting the file on thumb drive is for you to be able to make changes like gear ratio, tire size etc. It’s not your factory tune. Once the tune is in the car you can’t remove it unless you go to dealer and have the car reflashed AS BUILT from factory.

After I get my pro cal downloaded on new computer. I will upload the thumb drive file to see if I can make changes to tire/axel ratio. The tech said if you didn’t save that file you can’t make any changes.
Bummer on your old laptop dying.

I had the FP program save the file to my laptop but still cannot access the configure function so interested in finding out if you are able to when you get it loaded back in a new laptop.

Yea I am aware about the dealer being the only way to go back to stock calibration and nit happy about that at all.

Let me know what you find out .

BD

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yes, please ask the ford guys about the inability to return to stock cal on 18+ vehicle and the reasoning as to why they chose to remove that option. Also, about the inability to change the setting in the configure tab, I.E. axle ratio. tire size rev/mile, octane adjust and profile learning. From what the FP rep I spoke with yesterday i should be able to use those features.

BD
Sorry Buldawg, but the Ford Performance guys didn't show up!?? They did send a sponsored driver, but he doesn't use thier tunning or run an Ecoboost...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Bummer, but thanks for remembering about talking to them. Still waiting for the FP tech rep to get back to me on the configure issue. I sure hope they did not do away with that function as well.

BD

·
Registered
2021 Ecoboost
7 Posts
I just had my FP tune installed a little over a week ago on my 2020 eco premium and am having issues with not being able to communicate with the PCM in the configure tab. it does not show the correct 3.15 axle ratio or the tire size revs per mile number that it should and I cannot change those values because when in the configure tab screen it shows the message "
"Error reading PCM data"
"Verifying"
"Error reading vehicle data"

It never lets the axle ratio and tire rev gauge light up like they should if there is communication between the PCM and laptop and populate with correct numbers. The axle ratio is fixed at 2.70 versus the 3.15 it should be, and the tire rev is at 732.00 versus the 760 it should be according to the method the instructions say to use by marking the tire and ground and rolling one full revolution and measure the distance it travels which on my car is 83.375 inches. Car is running fine and seems to be better performance wise with correct speedo reading compared to my GPS speed app. Stock 1/4 mile time was 14.48/100mph and time after FP tune was 13.98/104mph so good improvement.

Also, if I go to the program tab and select the "PCM.recorder.PC3" file which should be the saved stock calibration and open the file there is no program or restore buttons illuminated so am unable to reflash back to stock calibration.

I have a buddy with the FP program in a 17 eco and he can flash back and forth from the performance cal to stock with no issues and has the restore button come up when he opens the 'PCM.recorder.PC3" file. Also with his program when he goes to configure tab it automatically shows "Verifying" and populates the correct 3.15 axle ratio and 764 for tire rev number.

I have contacted FP tech and they had me send screen shots of the pages where the issues are occurring but have not heard back yet from them.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and what you did to correct them or if you were even able to get corrected.

Same issue as in this old thread.
Ford performance procal 3 | Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum

BD

·
Registered
2021 Ecoboost
7 Posts
I just had my FP tune installed a little over a week ago on my 2020 eco premium and am having issues with not being able to communicate with the PCM in the configure tab. it does not show the correct 3.15 axle ratio or the tire size revs per mile number that it should and I cannot change those values because when in the configure tab screen it shows the message "
"Error reading PCM data"
"Verifying"
"Error reading vehicle data"

It never lets the axle ratio and tire rev gauge light up like they should if there is communication between the PCM and laptop and populate with correct numbers. The axle ratio is fixed at 2.70 versus the 3.15 it should be, and the tire rev is at 732.00 versus the 760 it should be according to the method the instructions say to use by marking the tire and ground and rolling one full revolution and measure the distance it travels which on my car is 83.375 inches. Car is running fine and seems to be better performance wise with correct speedo reading compared to my GPS speed app. Stock 1/4 mile time was 14.48/100mph and time after FP tune was 13.98/104mph so good improvement.

Also, if I go to the program tab and select the "PCM.recorder.PC3" file which should be the saved stock calibration and open the file there is no program or restore buttons illuminated so am unable to reflash back to stock calibration.

I have a buddy with the FP program in a 17 eco and he can flash back and forth from the performance cal to stock with no issues and has the restore button come up when he opens the 'PCM.recorder.PC3" file. Also with his program when he goes to configure tab it automatically shows "Verifying" and populates the correct 3.15 axle ratio and 764 for tire rev number.

I have contacted FP tech and they had me send screen shots of the pages where the issues are occurring but have not heard back yet from them.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and what you did to correct them or if you were even able to get corrected.

Same issue as in this old thread.
Ford performance procal 3 | Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum

BD
I have the install on my 2021 Ecoboost. No problems. Call Ford Performance Tech line. They will probably tell you to go back to the dealer who installed it and have them reinstall. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I have the install on my 2021 Ecoboost. No problems. Call Ford Performance Tech line. They will probably tell you to go back to the dealer who installed it and have them reinstall. Worked great for me.
PCG
I did the install myself and had a friend that is an ASE certified tech write me a RO for the install to cover the warranty. I have been on the phone with FP tech and was told that that to reflash to the stock cal it would have to be done by a dealer using the "As Built" calibration. They are working on the configure issue as of a week ago. I have been out of town so have not talked to FP tech as of yet. I have the program on my laptop.

So are you saying you can flash back to the stock calibration and when you open the configure tab it auto populates with the correct axle ratio and tire revolution number for the size tires that are on your car? If you can flash back to stock cal and the configure tab works for you please let me know.

I am a retired ASE master tech and have reflashed the cal three times and downloaded the program from ford 3 times as well with no luck.

Read the section at bottom of page that starts with "Note".

BD

·
Registered
2021 Ecoboost
7 Posts
PCG
I did the install myself and had a friend that is an ASE certified tech write me a RO for the install to cover the warranty. I have been on the phone with FP tech and was told that that to reflash to the stock cal it would have to be done by a dealer using the "As Built" calibration. They are working on the configure issue as of a week ago. I have been out of town so have not talked to FP tech as of yet. I have the program on my laptop.

So are you saying you can flash back to the stock calibration and when you open the configure tab it auto populates with the correct axle ratio and tire revolution number for the size tires that are on your car? If you can flash back to stock cal and the configure tab works for you please let me know.

I am a retired ASE master tech and have reflashed the cal three times and downloaded the program from ford 3 times as well with no luck.

Read the section at bottom of page that starts with "Note".

BD
Sorry I don't know the answer. I had a new car and did it through Ford dealer to keep it all under warranty. I did have a small problem with adaptive cruise control which Ford performance said I might take it back to the dealer and re due the calibration. Which they claimed would add any modifications or adjustments that Ford might have made. But truthfully, I didn't do that because I don't think Ford is very active in managing the tunes once they design them. But I might.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sorry I don't know the answer. I had a new car and did it through Ford dealer to keep it all under warranty. I did have a small problem with adaptive cruise control which Ford performance said I might take it back to the dealer and re due the calibration. Which they claimed would add any modifications or adjustments that Ford might have made. But truthfully, I didn't do that because I don't think Ford is very active in managing the tunes once they design them. But I might.
So did the dealer use your laptop to download the tune on and flash the tune to the car or did they use their computer system to download and flash the tune, did they give you a thumb drive with the PC3 file from your car on it. If not, then you have no access to the configure function or ability to record/analyze data or read/clear trouble codes.

I still have not heard back from FP about my configure function issue. The car runs better on the FP tune than stock tune but if they cannot fix the issues I am having with the other functions I should be able to perform in the program I will not be a happy camper with FP. Right now I am very disappointed in the after sale customer support from FP and likely will be contacting ford customer service to file a formal complaint against FP for failure to correct the issues I am experiencing.

Very disappointed and unhappy with the product at this point in time. I wish I had gone with a Cobb AP tuner instead, just blew 500 bucks on a worthless product IMO.

BD

21 - 32 of 32 Posts