When my dad was 32, he took me to an old barn in Clinton, SC and there under all the chicken s**t was a 1929 coupe, I was 5 and I remember cleaning it out, dad putting on some tires, installed a battery and we drove it home...I’m now 67. 15 or so years ago my brother took the car, restored it and drove it to a few parades. One night after a case of beer my brother mentioned to build it once again but this time as a drivable rod with modern stuff. About another 6 pack later we had ordered the 2.3l ecoboost package from Ford performance via Summit racing, a chassis package from Brookville roadster, radiator from griffin and a wiring kit from American auto wire. ( most of these are well known in the classic car culture). After flip-flopping on the trans we finally decided on an MT82 ( hey, we’re amateurs) which we believe is enough for the 2.3L.
Since it’s not in a mustang, it became apparent that the driveshaft just wouldn’t work since our rear end is a live axle whereas the mustang uses the solid mounted hog head with the slip joint . Another real sore point was the MT82 output flange, ours is the 3 bolt and we’re not using the rubber doughnut interface between the MT82 flange and the driveshaft. What we finally found was a flanged yoke that we put into a precision CNC marching to drill the three holes to match that 3 bolt output flange. Next we simply went to Carolina driveshafts in Spartanburg, SC and they build a really nice slip joint for the model A.
We’ve also purchased a mishimoto intercooler that gives us better cooling capacity with less pressure drop through the intercooler plus it fits where we had the space. It’s tight under that 1929 hood.
A few photos now....