Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my IAC valve failed so I did what anyone would do... Swap in a 33 yr newer drivetrain without having a walk-through or template. I have the kinda of friends that won't talk you down from a silly idea so here we are.

The donor: 2017 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost/MT-82 6Spd with 13k miles on the vehicle. Purchased for $2500 from Copart.com

The destination: 1984 Volvo 242 TIC

A lot more pictures to come!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.5 days of work and we get the motor, trans, and any potentially needed or sellable parts out of the car. The wrecker came and picked it up and paid me $95 :cool:

Teardown was super fast when you dgaf. I assume this is how a chop shop feels lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the motor on the stand and the trans on the table, it's a perfect time to do some upgrades.

Go Fast Bits DV+

MGW MT-82 Short shifter conversion (short length model - Call or email for the special version)

So short, I sits in the stock shifter position.

Radium Engineering baffle with port for catch can

Tune+ upgraded wastegate actuator & NGK 1-step colder plugs (not pictured)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine is narrow enough, but it's pretty tall so some work went into getting it under the stock hood.

I ended up taking off the sound deadening foam off the vacuum pump and high pressure fuel pump for more room. (Hope I don't regret that)

Happily there were no cuts to the fire wall but the cross member was ultra hacked. May make a new one some day.

It ended up pretty well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the connected package. It looks way longer than the B21ft/m46 w/ OD setup, but it worked out great.

Initially thought I could get away without any cuts, but that turned out to be false.

These mounting brackets/braces contacted the tunnel. Also it's easier to remove the trans with access to the top of the shifter.

Made a simple access panel. Once it's in place, there is no flex in the end of the tunnel.

For the trans crossmember, it was important to be able to use the OEM mount for simplicity.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a tight fit between the rails with no flex and it made to I can tuck the exhaust high on the passenger side with a bit of heat shielding for the body.

The shifter was too short in height so I put on a 4" extension and im so happy the OEM rubber boot fits nicely.

Oem shift knob with some modification should make all this have a stock look.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ELECTRICS Part 1 - I want it to be known that I initially want to use all the parts I got off of the donor for maximum savings, but after 3 weeks of living in my basement de-pinning and tracing and dealing with 3 different communication networks, I decided it was worth my time to get the FPP controls kit. M-6017-23T

This also came with a bunch of Mustang specific piping that I wish they would have left out and lowered the cost but oh well.

Nice newer battery from the donor is getting setup in the back.

A mounting bracket for the passenger rear

You can also see this fuse in the last pic

This is run up to the pass kick panel for distribution

Underhood fuse box

Remote terminals for jumping in the front fender

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

A friend offered to come through and paint the engine bay. I should have said no to the extra work I'd have to do, but the price was unbeatable. 馃ぃ

Also, big shout out to my lovely wife for cleaning up 35 years of grime in this engine bay.

Registered
Great looking build! You're spunky!! The only comment I would have is I'd consider putting some gussets on that transmission crossmember where the flat planes meet at angles. It looked fantastic but all the bends & welds were in the same direction. No gussets or shapes in the metal that would help prevent the metal from sagging like stock crossmembers have. I would think that could get pressed down a bit over time but perhaps not. Very cool. I'll be following along.

Registered
Always liked those Volvo鈥檚, especially in original form 142. Will be following the build!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great looking build! You're spunky!! The only comment I would have is I'd consider putting some gussets on that transmission crossmember where the flat planes meet at angles. It looked fantastic but all the bends & welds were in the same direction. No gussets or shapes in the metal that would help prevent the metal from sagging like stock crossmembers have. I would think that could get pressed down a bit over time but perhaps not. Very cool. I'll be following along.
I've heard that from a few people. I have to take the trans off again (didn't realize I'd have to bench bleed the slave cylinder :/ ) so I may make adjustments then.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Mustang intake is a complicated one, but I helped to make it further so. I'm using dual LED "bulbs" in a projector housing so I didn't need all four housings.

So now I have a Demon-esque air tunnel that feeds my airbox

This is the most complicated short piece of pipe I've worked on. IAT sensor, Bypass Valve dump, catch can dump, and PCV.

The MT-82 calls for a hydro clutch and the motor has a electric pedal

1 - 20 of 63 Posts