Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There will be a video at the end of this post!

PTP Turbo blanket

Downpipe just to get the car started. It'll eventually be wrapped in PTP lava wrap. This will lead to a full 3" exhaust.

Finished up all of the front end wiring...

Good quality and bright LEDs for the headlights

I made this plate to hold the relays for the headlights and driving lights and front power distribution.

It hangs off the 2 bolts that hold the Miata wiper fluid reservoir.

Thiccboi radiator from Speedway

Made a bracket for the coolant tank w/ a fluid sight and a cover/upper bracket for the rad

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
There will be a video at the end of this post!

PTP Turbo blanket

Downpipe just to get the car started. It'll eventually be wrapped in PTP lava wrap. This will lead to a full 3" exhaust.
Did you wrap it with the turbo off? I found mine a COMPLETE pain in the @$$ to get wrapped properly since its such a custom fit. But it also seems like you have more space in the engine bay to work with. It works so much better than the stock heat shield. Nice work!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did it with the turbo on, but you're right, I had a ton of space. It was still a bit of a pain. lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My main focus was to add safety, but be as unobtrusive as possible as I'm 6'5" 300lbs and this isn't a "full race" build.

Plates added for front posts and main hoop

Rear section

The dash structure still fits!

Up next is the seat mounting and making the harness and door bars to finish the cage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Cage is finished! (minus painting)

The seat mounting was moved back and lowered so I could fit the taller seats and my tall body comfortably.

The seat are actually the same height when fully installed.

Door bars are a little over the bolsters to protect the seats from wear, but still fit under the arm rests

I can still get the extinguisher out with one hand

Pause for a fashion shoot...

·
Registered
86 Posts
simply fantastic swap here. im jealous of the quality of your work and attention to detail. mad props this is an exceptional project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is very inspirational, thanks for posting this.

How do you like the electronic pedal feel of the engine? Considering doing a swap with a 2.3 Ecoboost into an older car as well, but haven't been satisfied with DBW pedals of other cars that I have owned (even ones tuned).

How did you like the shifting feel of the transmission?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is very inspirational, thanks for posting this.

How do you like the electronic pedal feel of the engine? Considering doing a swap with a 2.3 Ecoboost into an older car as well, but haven't been satisfied with DBW pedals of other cars that I have owned (even ones tuned).

How did you like the shifting feel of the transmission?
Those are all good questions lol. I haven't taken it out on the road yet. I'm getting rust fixed and a new windshield in two weeks. I have a 2012 Volvo S60 with an electric throttle with no issues. Stepping on this pedal is responsive without a starting dead spot. . Getting used to the fact that the accelerator pedal has like an inch of travel will probably be the biggest challenge. The MGW shift is rock solid, but I haven't had it on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those are all good questions lol. I haven't taken it out on the road yet. I'm getting rust fixed and a new windshield in two weeks. I have a 2012 Volvo S60 with an electric throttle with no issues. Stepping on this pedal is responsive without a starting dead spot. . Getting used to the fact that the accelerator pedal has like an inch of travel will probably be the biggest challenge. The MGW shift is rock solid, but I haven't had it on the road.
I see, thanks for the data point on your S60 not having any issue. Keep up the great work and content!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What made you choose the 2.3 Ecoboost overall? Other than a smoking deal for the donor car?

Just looking at numbers some big shops out there claim for builds (i.e. Mountune) for their engine builds just doesn't seem to match up with something like a Honda K20/24.

Maybe it's just because the Ecoboost hasn't been out as long as the Honda K-series and thus hasn't had as much development in the aftermarket?

I'm personally debating on a YB engine or 2.3 Ecoboost for my Merkur XR4Ti.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
What made you choose the 2.3 Ecoboost overall? Other than a smoking deal for the donor car?
Just looking at numbers some big shops out there claim for builds (i.e. Mountune) for their engine builds just doesn't seem to match up with something like a Honda K20/24.
Inexpensive, manual, RWD, upgradeable. Plus it's an entirely unique swap from my chasis. It's not some "break the dyno" power build, but it should be quite streetable and fun between shedding weight on the vehicle and more than doubling the original power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Inexpensive, manual, RWD, upgradeable. Plus it's an entirely unique swap from my chasis. It's not some "break the dyno" power build, but it should be quite streetable and fun between shedding weight on the vehicle and more than doubling the original power.
Makes sense, thank you! Looking forward to seeing the continued progress!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So a quick update...

Got the car back to my house and out of my friend's shop.

Keeping it real festive...

A ground clearance shot of the exhaust and the trans x-member. I think I'll be raising the front up .5-1".

UP NEXT:
  • fix the clutch (That will be my next post)
  • finish the interior wiring
  • get the windows in
  • install the interior panels

21 - 38 of 38 Posts