Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
So what the heck are you going to do with this thing when you are done with it? Will it be a track terror..daily driver..weekend warrior or what? Damn fine build!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So what the heck are you going to do with this thing when you are done with it? Will it be a track terror..daily driver..weekend warrior or what? Damn fine build!
AutoX, road course, HPDE, flashlight drags, and having fun during the summer commute.

You've got me excited now. My car weighs 900lb less, it should be a death trap!
The throttle response is crazy. This thing will be around 2600-2700 lbs and I already know it's going to be a problem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
AutoX, road course, HPDE, flashlight drags, and having fun during the summer commute.

The throttle response is crazy. This thing will be around 2600-2700 lbs and I already know it's going to be a problem.
The thing is going to be a blast. But be honest... Did you consider putting a LS in it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
But be honest... Did you consider putting a LS in it?
As a former s10 minitrucker, the 350/LS are always an option, but so so boring of a swap idea. I love the idea of respectable power from small I4's and Ford made a RWD one for cheap. I don't think anyone else has got one up and running on this chasis so it was/is quite the creative engineering process.

·
Registered
670 Posts
As a former s10 minitrucker, the 350/LS are always an option, but so so boring of a swap idea. I love the idea of respectable power from small I4's and Ford made a RWD one for cheap. I don't think anyone else has got one up and running on this chasis so it was/is quite the creative engineering process.
The LS swaps are a dime a dozen. However....if absolute power to lowest dollar spent is the goal they are hard to beat. ...but I get what you are trying to do. And the 2.3 can and does make great power. That Volvo is going to be a hoot on the road coarse being as light as it is. This is a totally cool build and I've been following along. Keep going! I'm watching. I had to ask since I'm in the middle of a turbo LS build myself for "no apparent reason".

Reactions: jstblz98

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So I don't know how many of you are interested in 3D printing, but I lucked up on a Creality Ender 3 Pro. I've wanted to learn more about the process so I decided to include it in my build.

With the way the cage is, I didn't have room to mount the OEM mirror and I didn't like seeing all the bars behind me that also blocked my view. I picked up a digital rear view mirror that also has a front facing dashcam. The rear camera will be mounted in the rear window.

The Dashcam

This is supposed to strap onto the original mirror, but since I wouldn't have one, I had to engineer around that. Starting in Fusion 360, I went with this design 1st. (*I'm a 3D modeling amateur. Please be nice or helpful.)

Which turned into this quick and dirty model printed in PLA.

This and future pieces were printed ASA as to better withstand the interior temperatures that a summer car can reach. A notch was added to tuck the mirror a little closer to the bar.

Then came the destructive testing. This was also to see how the orientation of the print affected the strength in the direction of possible forces.

I then had to make the cage clamps out of ASA too. As you can see, I decided to go with a GoPro style mount. It's simple and it works.

And we're left with this...

IT WIGGLES SLIGHTLY WHEN BUMPED OR JOSTLED. I HATE IT.
Let's try again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you thought about sending the drawing file to somebody and have them mill it from aluminum? at least the clamp? Also, they make a weld on Go-Pro mount that may be do the trick... just weld it to your rollbar and mount the printed holder? It's just a thought. and we 3D print all of our prototypes, it literally saves $$$ in time, tooling, and materials.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Have you thought about sending the drawing file to somebody and have them mill it from aluminum? at least the clamp? Also, they make a weld on Go-Pro mount that may be do the trick... just weld it to your rollbar and mount the printed holder? It's just a thought. and we 3D print all of our prototypes, it literally saves $$$ in time, tooling, and materials.
That's a really good idea. The clamps ended up being rock solid. It was ultimately the flex in the mirror side tabs that cause the oscillation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The very cool thing about Fusion 360 is it's timeline feature that allows you to go back and make changes to old designed pieces and the change reflect to the current iteration of the part. I went back a few versions and made a new branch.

*FYI putting holes in a print saves material only and not time! Holes create new faces and walls/faces are printed slower than infill.

The new design:

Very proud that I saved 6 grams of material with this design!

Solidly mounted now!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Time for a quick update...

Added 3M paint protection film (shiny part) to certain sections of the cage to to save the paint from entry and exit wear.

Washed junkyard carpet and sprayed and brushed in between coats of SEM color coat in Landau Black. It's even darker in person.

Wrapped the downpipe in PTP's Lava wrap

DRUMROLLS Final wiring started!!

Mounting plate for new fuse panel

Great accessibility here

Decided to get a grounding block to organize the grounds and not stack them all under 2 screws. The bottom lug was connected with 8GA to ground. This will be the ground for most things on the dash. Using a separate ground for the stereo and instrument cluster. Any issue with that??

Even re-taped the accessory connectors

Using this bluetooth, marine Kenwood unit for the stereo system. Mounting the amp under the passenger seat

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So work/non-car life has been kicking my butt lately, but progress has been made.

I'm putting some things back together

Doubled up some black speaker felt to cover where the old reels went.

Looks like it'll do

Made some thumb nuts for my VDO external temp gauge.

GPS antenna for the RaceCapture/digital dash integration. It comes with one, but it sits on your dash or magnetized to the top of the car. Seeing as though this will be an important system, I decided for something permanent and nice.

The wire from which will run down the roof and to the dash behind the filler panel to the RaceCapture module.

Getting dangerously close to the final design of the touchscreen panel. That'll be the next big update. Looking like I may be good for inspection and tuning by mid May.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It's all based arounnd this Raspberry Pi 3 in an aluminum case with built-in fans.

This board from Mausberry that safely power on and shutdown when the car is turned on and off.

I also mounted the entire case to the screen.

I made a quick and dirty surround for some earlier testing, but I ended up scrapping that

So I designed something better...

This will eventually get printed in the black heat resistant filament.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Instrument cluster is done!

Dropped of the wheels to get refinished. Sticking with the stock color.

These just arrived too...

Where we are:

-Wiring is done!
-Dash reassembly up next
-Carpet, seats, and harnesses this weekend
Hope to be getting my windshield next week and the inspection soon after.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts