Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

2.3 ecoboost engine

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Coyote Chaser 
#1 ·
Hey y’all I was just wondering if anyone knows the horsepower of the 2.3 without the turbo tks hope everyone is staying safe

#3 ·
I just blew the wastegate and had a charge pipe blow.off the new turbo and there is no way the engine makes 250 hp. My old 143 hp 944 would blow the doors off a Mustang Ecoboost without a turbo.

#4 · (Edited)
It's hard to know the exact answer because it depends on so many other factors besides the turbo itself.
The easier question to ask is, "How much horsepower does the stock turbo add?"

To answer this question, let's assume that the stock boost of the turbo is around 20 PSI.
Atmospheric air pressure at sea level is around 14.7 PSI, and this is what a naturally aspirated engine without forced induction works on.

So at a boost pressure of 20 PSI, we are effectively pumping in another 1.36 "atmospheres" (20 PSI divided by 14.7PSI = 1.36), 1.36 bar or 136% more air into the engine cylinders.
To work out increase in horsepower, as a general rule of thumb, you can take roughly the 50% of the percentage increase in atmospheres at the inlet manifold the turbo provides.

This is because you lose efficiency mainly in the increased heat generated by compressing the air and reducing the effective charge going into the cylinders.

So our stock turbo at 20 PSI has increased the base non-turbo engine power by 68%

Now we know that our standard Ecoboost Mustangs provides approximately 310HP at the crank.

Therefore, all we need to do is calculate what base horsepower + 68% increase gives us 310HP.

In this case, that would be 185HP for our 2.3L without a turbo.

As a rough comparison, the Mazda L engine of the same 2.3L capacity (non-turbo), which our Ecoboost engine was originally based on, puts out around 164HP at 6000 rpm and 144 lb⋅ft between 4000 – 4500 rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.