Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to gain the most horsepower out of the engine, is there an option for an Electric water pump for the Ecoboost? I've been scouring the web but am unable to find something that specifically is designed for the 2.3L mustang.

Does anyone run an electric water pump? Can anyone recommend a pump, or share a link?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
In an effort to gain the most horsepower out of the engine, is there an option for an Electric water pump for the Ecoboost? I've been scouring the web but am unable to find something that specifically is designed for the 2.3L mustang.

Does anyone run an electric water pump? Can anyone recommend a pump, or share a link?
You would have to redesign the water pump housing to fit an electric water pump. Also... You would have to reprogram the ECU to somehow be able to run the water pump and regulate the flow rate. It's more work then it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You would have to redesign the water pump housing to fit an electric water pump. Also... You would have to reprogram the ECU to somehow be able to run the water pump and regulate the flow rate. It's more work then it's worth it.
It would certainly take a significant amount of custom fabrication and machining to adapt one to the Ecoboost engine. It would not require any ECU reprogramming though. The existing belt driven pump is not controlled by the ECU and there is no reason that the ECU would need to control and electric one. May require some extra wiring to limit the flow of the pump if it is significantly higher than the stock mechanical pump but that has nothing to do with the ECU.

Dave

·
Registered
616 Posts
There are remote mount electric water pumps. This is where the remote water pump has two lines that run to it and then go to the motor. They tap into the inlet & outlet water passages of the head and or block depending on what kind of motor it is. Then a block-off plate covers where the old mechanical pump was. Sometimes the inlet & outlet fittings go through the block-off plate but again that depends on application.

With that said.......unless you are drag racing and need the last .001 of a second in the 1/4 mile there is absolutely no reason to do this on a street car unless you just hate money. Like me.
Electrical pumps are more prone to failure also. Your stock mechanical pump will get the job done just fine. It will also let you know before it fails by dripping water. An Electric pump just quits and that can kill a motor if you don't notice or aren't watching the gauges close. That's hard to do on a road trip. If an electric pump is used on the street an idiot warning light should be wired in to go on just in case the electric water pump stops pulling current. This can/will save the motor if the electric pump fails.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought there might be a solution out there, but it sounds expensive, and at higher risk than stock setup.

The idea was to add as much horsepower from any and all components that might be robbing it of power going to the wheels.

Lol, I don't hate money, but I do like spending it on equipment/jobs that I can do myself. It's like a large Lego set I get to put together.

Anyway, it sounds like it'll be much to much of a hassle and cost to save 10hp, But my thought process was; every little bit counts and adds up.

Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The idea was to add as much horsepower from any and all components that might be robbing it of power going to the wheels.

Lol, I don't hate money, but I do like spending it
Yep... The idea is the embodiment of the Hot Rod spirit. I like the way you think.

I hate money. I try to keep that sh!t as far away from me as possible. I have 2 race cars now & working on a third. I must be retarded or something.....idk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts