Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Did these 2 upgrades within 1K miles of delivery. An early Father's Day present to myself.

Honestly speaking, the alcantara wheel is really nice, but I would actually prefer the wheel be completely covered in the leather used for the flat bottom section. It would also be nice to carry the thickness of the flat bottom section throughout the entire wheel. It, along with the OEM wheel, feels maybe a bit thin.

The OEM wheel leather was . . . well . . . let's all just admit that's where Ford cut some costs. The leather on my GT350R wheel is world's nicer and much more similar (if not the same) as that used on the OEM shifter ball. And the alcantara shift boot with the red stitching ties in nicely with the wheel's red accents.

I actually had the red-stitched console cover and the shift brake boot ready to install, but felt like it was alcantara / red stitch overkill. Also, the console cover was a bit more than I wanted to take on. If it was a pre-covered replacement lid, not prob. But it needed cutting/gluing/stretching. Returned to CJPP with no issues.
View attachment 2134 View attachment 2135
Well, after about 13K miles of use, I think the wheel is holding up nicely. There's just a tiny bit of shininess under my left thumb rest. The leather looks the same as day 1. The shift boot still looks right out of the box.
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

·
Registered
427 Posts
Did these 2 upgrades within 1K miles of delivery. An early Father's Day present to myself.

Honestly speaking, the alcantara wheel is really nice, but I would actually prefer the wheel be completely covered in the leather used for the flat bottom section. It would also be nice to carry the thickness of the flat bottom section throughout the entire wheel. It, along with the OEM wheel, feels maybe a bit thin.

The OEM wheel leather was . . . well . . . let's all just admit that's where Ford cut some costs. The leather on my GT350R wheel is world's nicer and much more similar (if not the same) as that used on the OEM shifter ball. And the alcantara shift boot with the red stitching ties in nicely with the wheel's red accents.

I actually had the red-stitched console cover and the shift brake boot ready to install, but felt like it was alcantara / red stitch overkill. Also, the console cover was a bit more than I wanted to take on. If it was a pre-covered replacement lid, not prob. But it needed cutting/gluing/stretching. Returned to CJPP with no issues.
View attachment 2134 View attachment 2135
After ~20K miles on my GT350R wheel, and 'no sale' (i.e. craigslist, etc) of my OE wheel, I'm having the garbage Ford pleather replaced on my OE wheel and redone with smooth grain black nappa leather w/red x-stitch. I'm going for a fatter grip too. Should be here in a few weeks. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got some pretty awful wear on the left side where my thumbs/fingers rest on long drives, of course considered wear/tear so I'm looking at picking up a GT350R wheel to replace it with at this point...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've got some pretty awful wear on the left side where my thumbs/fingers rest on long drives, of course considered wear/tear so I'm looking at picking up a GT350R wheel to replace it with at this point...
I don't mind some of the cheaper, leather-like materials in my car, like the door trim inserts, etc. I get the cost-cutting to bring us an affordable sports car. But for such a focal point like the steering wheel, Ford really needs to take a lesson from Chrysler. My wife's new Pacifica minivan has a great steering wheel - with respect to leather and 'fatness'.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't mind some of the cheaper, leather-like materials in my car, like the door trim inserts, etc. I get the cost-cutting to bring us an affordable sports car. But for such a focal point like the steering wheel, Ford really needs to take a lesson from Chrysler. My wife's new Pacifica minivan has a great steering wheel - with respect to leather and 'fatness'.
I agree. It doesn't all have to be super high end, but the seats and steering wheels, complete wear areas, should've gotten more love. My seats are fine, but this wheel has been pretty disappointing...

·
Registered
244 Posts
May I offer an alternative? I have had two GT350 wheels ....... one in my ecoboost and now this car. The Alcantara gets dirty mega fast and required a monthly cleaning for me. I wash my hands a lot during work and it still was a constant struggle to keep it completely clean. I got this wheel from CJ's during a 4th of July sale and it was the same price as a GT350 one. The carbon fiber and leather grips are a snap to clean and the moderate accent red stitching was just what I was looking for. I thought that maybe hand grip would be lacking but driving with it is awesome ............ just food for thought ........... ;)

20170721_155818.jpg
20170721_155739.jpg

·
Registered
427 Posts
I DO like this wheel. Very, very nice. I didn't know it even existed after all my google searches. Thanks for the option!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Google it and be amazed .............. ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks, Doskiller. I picked up some foamy fabric cleaner and a bristle paint brush from auto parts store - and got some great results.

First clean @21,800 miles on wheel . . .

1. Spray foam in hand
2. Schmear on wheel
3. Work in with bristle brush
4. Blot excess (it'll still be wet)
5. Let dry overnight

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
QUOTE="mamizana, post: 70225, member: 1085"]After ~20K miles on my GT350R wheel, and 'no sale' (i.e. craigslist, etc) of my OE wheel, I'm having the garbage Ford pleather replaced on my OE wheel and redone with smooth grain black nappa leather w/red x-stitch. I'm going for a fatter grip too. Should be here in a few weeks. I'll post pics.[/QUOTE]

Arrived last week. Just installed today. Taking a break from my (clean!!) GT350R wheel. It feels nice to have the matte leather feel. And the grip is maybe about 10-15% fatter than my GT350R.

IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2313.JPG IMG_2314.JPG IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2323.JPG

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
That looks amazing! Care to share where/how much that ran you? I love the look.
Base price quoted @ $275, including black baseball stitching + $25 FedEx. Then I opted for red thread, cross-stitch, extra padding and black nappa smooth grain leather. It ended up @ $375 + $25 delivered. So $400 was pretty steep, but . . . . ya know.

http://www.craftcustoms.com/
Carter Craft - [email protected]

·
Registered
171 Posts
ill probably upgrade to this wheel eventually, i do a lot of driving, sometimes quiet spirited at times - and the stock ecoboost wheel just doesn't have the grip or feel i like. I ordered a $20 leather steering wheel cover for now, if that disappoints me ill opt for the gt350 wheel!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Very nice

21 - 35 of 35 Posts