·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evenin' Sir's and Madams'

To cut to the chase with my pickle between 1st and 2nd:

Originally I was going to with:
Cobb 3 in. Down Pipe - Catted
Cobb Mustang 3 in. Down Pipe - Catted 5M2202 (15-19 EcoBoost w/ Cobb Cat-Back)

But after lurking these forums extensively, I've come across this instead:
Down Pipe:CVF 3

Now, here's where I stand with the Down Pipe (Catted vs Non-Catted) and whether to get it mod it, buy it. I am all about power. In the merit of importance:

1. Power (HP/Torque)
2. Passing Inspection (or finding a way to, I live in UT, Salt Lake County)
3. Smell/Popping (Not a fan of smelling and popping. I have a newborn kid so this is an ever-increasing factor for me actually and it may be a bigger factor for me than I realize the more I read about catless. Yes I have a car seat adapter in my backseat of my modded Mustang for the occasional drive. lol

I am going into the shop for a Dyno and a pretty big list of other upgrades on June 7th (getting my spark plugs changed to some NGK's (yes, yes I could gap them myself and change them, but meh, I'll wait for my Dyno and not chance ruining $40 plugs), Eibach lowering springs, spacers, Dual Port Blow Off Valve, 14 PSI - Wastegate.

I included the above paragraph as my shop said if I am going to do my Down Pipe, now is the time to do it, before I do my Dyno (obviously).

I welcome your advice greatly appreciate and welcome any other suggestions/pain or experience you have as this is my first rodeo.

Again, greatly, greatly appreciated.

-Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
You’re comparing apples to oranges. Catted to catless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but did you read what I wrote? I gave my reasoning for my consideration for both. Obviously, if I didn't have a child, didn't care for the smelling, popping, etc. I'd go with catless in a heartbeat. Additionally, I'd like a "chance" at passing inspection and having done what these forum boards have suggested, read pretty extensively in multiple threads, scrubbed and gleaned what I can from feedback, I've come here.

However, I came across the CVF downpipe makers in these very threads, which gave me hope (as I was pretty much set on going with a catted downpipe) as it seems they have resolved a lot of the aforementioned issues. I read the entire feedback thread from people that have bought the CVF catless and no one really speaks to the problems most catless downpipe buyers have.

So while it is may seem I am comparing "apples to oranges" and yes I am, both the catless and catted are upgrades to my stock and I am going in for a dyno and I am to make a decision before I go in. I was hoping for an insightful "here's my take" advice from a buyer. Maybe the CVF catless doesn't have the problems most catless downpipes have with the popping and smell/exhaust issues?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you don't mind a smelly exhaust and your locality does not do emissions testing or only does a plugin test, then check out MAP cattless downpipes. They come with a builtin o2 sensor extender. This will keep the car from throwing codes for cat efficiency. A cattless downpipe will give more power and increased noise. With most of the catted downpipes you will need an o2 sensor extender to keep from throwing codes. I bought a $15 one from amazon that works well with my setup.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My CVF catted down pipe went on Friday. Love the sound - haven't run any more 0-60s (too hot), but the butt-dyno says it's a bit better. Still on stage 1, 93. The CVF intercooler won't be here until mid-late June, so stage 2 will wait for that.

The folks at CVF are very project oriented. Their customer service crew is very responsive to questions. Give them a try. Good prices and solid product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts