Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Ecoboost Enthusiests,

I am not sure if anyone here can help me, but its worth a shot. I am asking for any experiences with Ford Dealerships and Ford Corporate.

My 2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack, bought new in 2015, has had issues since day one. There has been a bunch of major repairs in the life of the vehicle. In the span of 71K miles, the repairs are as follows: Oil Sending Unit loose from factory, bled out 90% of oil (3K miles); (Not engine related, but warrantied) Right rear wheel bearing (16K miles, Service AdvanceTrac Light/ Wrench Light/Locked brakes on freeway at highway speeds); White Smoke (16K miles, never fixed, never found by dealer); Left Rear Wheel Bearing (23K miles); Engine Check Light/Computer Reflash (16K miles to 38K miles, multiple "reflashes" dealer found nothing on inspection/diagnosis); Catalytic Converter Weld Crack in the hanging bracket (28K miles); Back Up Camera (31K miles); Right Wheel Speed System (37K miles); Purge Valve Stuck Open/Turbo Replacment (49K miles); Catalytic converter same crack as before (Found at 51K miles, same as at 28K miles, but not found at 28K miles); Cylinder Head Crack and complete replacement (54K miles; bled oil and coolant into cylinder #2, lost 3 quarts of oil, and 2 quarts of coolant); Second Catalytic Converter (68K miles); Second Cylinder Head Crack (71K miles bled 3 quarts of oil, 2.5 quarts of coolant in less than 1K miles).

Not taken to the dealership: Cold Side Intercooler piping became loose (13K miles).

Dealership A has performed all warranty work up through Catalytic Converter at 68K miles. I took pictures of the vehicle before brought in, after I brought it in there was damage to the cat mesh that was not there 5 minutes before bringing it in. I will not go back to this dealership.

Dealership B is telling me that I need to authorize 13 hours of work for engine tear down to see if warranty is applicable or take it back to Dealership A for previous repair, not fixed correctly. Ford gave me a 100K mile warranty after the first cracked head for engine and drivetrain. At 54K miles, Dealership A told me that there was no unusual wear, nothing that looked out of the ordinary. Dealership B has also not been honest, and tried to force me to buy a new battery (old battery in perfect health).

My 2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack, has had issues since day one. There has been a bunch of major repairs in the life of the vehicle. In the span of 71K miles, the repairs are as follows: Oil Sending Unit loose from factory, bled out 90% of oil (3K miles); (Not engine related, but warrantied) Right rear bought new in wheel bearing (16K miles, Service AdvanceTrac Light/ Wrench Light/Locked brakes on freeway at highway speeds); White Smoke (16K miles, never fixed, never found by dealer); Left Rear Wheel Bearing (23K miles); Engine Check Light/Computer Reflash (16K miles to 38K miles, multiple "reflashes" dealer found nothing on inspection/diagnosis); Catalytic Converter Weld Crack in the hanging bracket (28K miles); Back Up Camera (31K miles); Right Wheel Speed System (37K miles); Purge Valve Stuck Open/Turbo Replacment (49K miles); Catalytic converter same crack as before (Found at 51K miles, same as at 28K miles, but not found at 28K miles); Cylinder Head Crack and complete replacement (54K miles; bled oil and coolant into cylinder #2, lost 3 quarts of oil, and 2 quarts of coolant); Second Catalytic Converter (68K miles); Second Cylinder Head Crack (71K miles bled 3 quarts of oil, 2.5 quarts of coolant in less than 1K miles).

I have multiple cases opened with Ford Corporate regarding Catalytic Converter/Cylinder Head failures with no response back yet.

Everything is recorded and documented. Oil is changed every 3K miles. All fluids changed regularly to spec/prior to spec. Vehicle has not been raced or abused, she is a frequent freeway flyer commuter car solely. No upgrades, bone stock.

Has anyone dealt with similar issues? Is Dealership B correct in their work authorization, even with the report history? Is there a course of action that might be better? Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not sure why the system copied the list of issues, I apologize.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
2015 - 2018. You got 3 bad years out of the vehicle. Drive to local (fill in the blank of what you’d like your next car to be... BMW, Lexus, etc...) and trade it in.

Otherwise contact a lawyer, you obviously have damages, just need to see if they can translate into a winnable case in court or better yet, settlement.

At this time, your dealing with the dealership sounds like it’s over.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
There has been many tweaks and revisions to the mustang since its 2015 release, it sounds like you got a very early production model, mix that with a sloppy service department and you have a recipe for a lemon.
Use the warranty to get it running good enough and trade it in as soon as possible, let it rot on a dealer lot as a Certified Pre owned.
Look for something made after spring of 2017 after they had pretty much everything sorted out.
The 2018s have extra port injectors that fire under certain conditions to take care of the carbon on the valves issue so catch cans are completely unnecessary (both the v8 and the ecoboost).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
You will have to look at the lemon laws in the state where you live but most lemon laws are specific to repeat failures of the exact same component which is not the case with your car. Unfortunately first year models & refreshes tend to have most of the issues and realistically all a manufacturer can do (large scale) is honor and/or extend the warranty, which Ford has already done.

You can always try another dealership or trade the car in... either decision is not fun when you no doubt bought the car to enjoy.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I agree with most of the above. I would have traded it in by now.

I have a 2015 that is heavily modified and sees frequent track time. The only thing that i have experienced that you listed was the rear camera (which had a loose connector, fixed myself). I keep hearing all this about “the early cars”. I dont know, I guess i got lucky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have opened a Lemon Law case with Ford. California has the best lemon laws, there is no minimum repair number, all attourney fees paid by manufacturer, and the vehicle history shows a strong case for lemon law. I do have lawyers waiting for Fords response.

I have to go pick up my car from Dealership B today, or they will charge me with vehicle storage in waiting for Ford Corporates response. The car is not driveable with as much coolant and oil is burning. Should be an interesting afternoon.

Thanks for the responses guys! I should have traded it in way earlier. Hard lesson on this one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
You're right, in that California has a very strong Lemon Law. I know, because I used to do lemon Law arbitration work. I actually worked on Ford's Dispute Settlement Board for three years. Your case is substantial and appears to have merit. You're doing the right thing by getting an attorney involved and waiting for Ford's response. Please keep us posted. This is a rare case for a Mustang. Historically, the build quality of the Mustang has been good; but there's always ONE! Best of luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
I agree with most of the above. I would have traded it in by now.

I have a 2015 that is heavily modified and sees frequent track time. The only thing that i have experienced that you listed was the rear camera (which had a loose connector, fixed myself). I keep hearing all this about “the early cars”. I dont know, I guess i got lucky.
Me too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"The 2018s have extra port injectors that fire under certain conditions to take care of the carbon on the valves issue so catch cans are completely unnecessary (both the v8 and the ecoboost)."
This is the very FIRST time I have ever read a post (by anyone) that states that the 2018 EcoBoost does NOT require (or need) a catch can; but I know I have one of the first '18s around and, maybe, no one has put one on an '18. I'm not technical enough to know about 'extra port injectors' so I'm asking - "is this a reality and are they effective"?
By the way, how does one use the (+ Quote) function - exactly? (I used Cut/Paste - which worked ok).

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
"The 2018s have extra port injectors that fire under certain conditions to take care of the carbon on the valves issue so catch cans are completely unnecessary (both the v8 and the ecoboost)."
This is the very FIRST time I have ever read a post (by anyone) that states that the 2018 EcoBoost does NOT require (or need) a catch can; but I know I have one of the first '18s around and, maybe, no one has put one on an '18. I'm not technical enough to know about 'extra port injectors' so I'm asking - "is this a reality and are they effective"?
By the way, how does one use the (+ Quote) function - exactly? (I used Cut/Paste - which worked ok).
Just look for the quote button it should do it all automatically

The whole idea of the catch can is to stop the buildup of carbon on the back side of the valves. In older cars the fuel air mixture traveling past the valves would wash away most carbon buildup, with direct injection the mixture is just air, no fuel in the mixture to wash away the PCV deposits.

For 2018 Ford has added the secondary fuel rail in the intake to correct the problem of carbon buildup on the valves, thousands apon thousands of warranty complaints about loss of power, rough engine operation and loss of fuel economy have prompted Ford to finally correct the issue.

As for 2017 and older direct injection motors It is said that induction cleaning services kill the turbos on ecoboost motors but Seafoam has stated that their induction cleaner is safe so long as it is sprayed in after the compressor at the throttle body and the proper "soak and run" procedure is followed.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Read about Amsoil products and how they are formulated to eliminate “blow by” which is what causes carbon buildup above the piston rings. My car is a ‘15 with 10k on it and never had a catch can. We just had the intake off clear down to the manifold and there was zero buildup. I mean clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just look for the quote button it should do it all automatically

For 2018 Ford has added the secondary fuel rail in the intake to correct the problem of carbon buildup on the valves, thousands apon thousands of warranty complaints about loss of power, rough engine operation and loss of fuel economy have prompted Ford to finally correct the issue.

I was under the impression that this was only for the 5.0, not the Ecoboost. I've pulled the engine cover from my 2018, but didn't notice any port injectors (I also wasn't looking for them though). I'll take a look again today after work and post up some pictures either way.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I was under the impression that this was only for the 5.0, not the Ecoboost. I've pulled the engine cover from my 2018, but didn't notice any port injectors (I also wasn't looking for them though). I'll take a look again today after work and post up some pictures either way.
According to the various sources I have read, Ford was to add dual injection on all ecoboost engines for 2018, though I cant find anything stating specifically that the 2018 2.3l got the upgrade so it is possible that I am mistaken.

·
Registered
151 Posts
20180523_191134.jpg
I don't see any port injectors on top or under the intake, so it looks like the 2.3 was excluded from receiving them.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
View attachment 22289
I don't see any port injectors on top or under the intake, so it looks like the 2.3 was excluded from receiving them.
That's disappointing, I was under the impression that the reason for the Roush and Ford racing tune not being available for the 2018's was because of a fuel system redesign complicating the new tune development.
There is a silver lining though, if a different factory tune and a new transmission are the only changes then a new Ford racing and Roush tune should be available for 2018 owners fairly soon..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Found this over at ecoboostmustang.org, looks like the new tune will be available this summer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was definitely disappointing to not see any port injectors. Coming from a 2009 VW GLI which has a 2.0 that is notoriously terrible for carbon buildup, I was looking forward to an engine with no buildup issues. The good thing is that the Ecoboost intake manifold is MUCH easier to pull than the VW intake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts