Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2016 Ecoboost and after driving it for a month I noticed a misfire on cold start up (sometimes a rough idle) and no engine light on. I took it to a couple different shops for diagnosis (no warranty) and they all said they same: cylinder 4 misfire. fuel injector was leaking, and needed to be replaced, as well as replacing the plugs.

that was done. After a day or so I noticed the same misfire and now I noticed a loss of coolant.

has anyone experienced the same issue? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not a mechanic or an expert of any kind but if you are losing coolant and having misfires you probably have a bad headgasket or a cracked or warped head or both. That's a non expert guess. There are others on here who know WAY WAY more than I do.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had the same problem with my turbocharged diesel with a 100k miles on it.
I packed the cooling system full of engine block sealant and drove it for another 17k miles (or 2 yrs) and then it let lose again. I took a $3500 hit, and traded it in on another turbo diesel.
It really depends on the condition and mileage of your Mustang. If my diesel was in better shape with low mileage, I would of fixed the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same problem with my turbocharged diesel with a 100k miles on it.
I packed the cooling system full of engine block sealant and drove it for another 17k miles (or 2 yrs) and then it let lose again. I took a $3500 hit, and traded it in on another turbo diesel.
It really depends on the condition and mileage of your Mustang. If my diesel was in better shape with low mileage, I would of fixed the problem.
I can’t trade it right now… I recently bought it and it has 63k mileage. I’m trying to get a quote for a head gasket replacement. Someone recommended a head gasket sealant that costs about $70 and it technically fixes the issue. Sounds too good to be true.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is... There is a right way and a wrong way to fix things, and dumping gunk in your coolant system to fix a head gasket leak comes under "wrong". It is a band-aid, and I would only recommend it if meant to carry you through long enough to get it in a shop, and even then... On these cars, a blown head gasket can escalate rather quickly to more major repairs than just replacing the head gasket depending on driving habits and current modifications. If you do it the right way and have the head gasket replaced with a better performance gasket and put in some better head studs, you will have much better peace of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the comments. I took it to a shop and they ran a few tests to see if it was an issue with the head gasket… they said no. No issues with the engine. They think it might be the ecm but they want to charge me an arm and leg for further diagnosis. The plug is wet but no spark…

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Automotive Electrical troubleshooting and repair has always been priced higher. You may want to locate the source of coolant loss first. And then the electrical. But both will need to be corrected in the future. The best way to reduce costs is to continue to do what your doing, ask questions, research and search for the cause yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2016 Ecoboost and after driving it for a month I noticed a misfire on cold start up (sometimes a rough idle) and no engine light on. I took it to a couple different shops for diagnosis (no warranty) and they all said they same: cylinder 4 misfire. fuel injector was leaking, and needed to be replaced, as well as replacing the plugs.

that was done. After a day or so I noticed the same misfire and now I noticed a loss of coolant.

has anyone experienced the same issue? Any thoughts?
It was probably a blown head gasket. Am I right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts