Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just bought a 2016 Ecoboost mustang that was used and has around 66k miles. I haven’t dont anything and i just bought it yesterday but when i went to put gas in it the car started stalling and wouldnt start, the check engine light was on. I took it back to where i bought it and they said they fixed it. The check engine light is off ever since they “fixed it” but I just went to put gas in it today again and it wouldn’t start again. After trying again i gave it some gas, wouldn’t start but sounded like it wanted to. Then I tried starting it again and it finally started. Does anyone know where/why this is happening? My dad has a code reader and we are going to read the codes tomorrow morning. I’m just worried so much and I don’t want to be driving and out of no where it die on me or there be something else wrong that is worse than we think. It seems to be something that has to do with gas.
Any ideas?
- i also have a video of it happening

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey I just bought a 2016 Ecoboost mustang that was used and has around 66k miles. I haven’t dont anything and i just bought it yesterday but when i went to put gas in it the car started stalling and wouldnt start, the check engine light was on. I took it back to where i bought it and they said they fixed it. The check engine light is off ever since they “fixed it” but I just went to put gas in it today again and it wouldn’t start again. After trying again i gave it some gas, wouldn’t start but sounded like it wanted to. Then I tried starting it again and it finally started. Does anyone know where/why this is happening? My dad has a code reader and we are going to read the codes tomorrow morning. I’m just worried so much and I don’t want to be driving and out of no where it die on me or there be something else wrong that is worse than we think. It seems to be something that has to do with gas.
Any ideas?
- i also have a video of it happening
DOES IT START AND RUN OK WHEN TANK NOT AT FULL?
SOUNDS LIKE EVAP SOLENOID ASSEMBLY.ISSUE. I HAD SIMILAR ISSUE WITH MY 18 EB. AFTER FILLING UP AT THE GAS STATION HAD HARD TIME TO RESTART. UNTIL I GOT THE PART REPLACED I DID NOT ADD GAS BEYOND THE 3/4 MARK. DEALER REPLACED THE PART, NO ISSUES SINCE THEN..

EMISSION SYSTEM ISSUE.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
801 Posts
So the place you bought it said they fixed it. What did they say was the problem? What exactly did they fix? I'd be taking it back ASAP and telling them the problem is still there and the fix has not resolved the issue you originally bought it in for. My bet is they cleared the code and reset the ECU and "fixed it" that way. They haven't actually fixed the root course.

Reactions: Anthony V.

·
Registered
449 Posts
So the place you bought it said they fixed it. What did they say was the problem? What exactly did they fix? I'd be taking it back ASAP and telling them the problem is still there and the fix has not resolved the issue you originally bought it in for. My bet is they cleared the code and reset the ECU and "fixed it" that way. They haven't actually fixed the root course.
I had a similar response to the "they fixed it" .

·
Registered
2020 ecoboost base coupe,auto
95 Posts
Emmision system as stated above.........!
Can't count how many times my brother fixed a car from a used car lot after they so-said fixed it also! Don't trust that car lot! Find a good trust worthy shop to fix it!

·
Registered
449 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE EVAP SOLENOID ASSEMBLY.ISSUE. I HAD SIMILAR ISSUE WITH MY 18 EB. AFTER FILLING UP AT THE GAS STATION HAD HARD TIME TO RESTART. UNTIL I GOT THE PART REPLACED I DID NOT ADD GAS BEYOND THE 3/4 MARK. DEALER REPLACED THE PART, NO ISSUES SINCE THEN..

EMISSION SYSTEM ISSUE.
THE PART IS RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE, LESS THAN 50 DOLLARS FROM FORD DEALERSHIP PARTS DEPARTMENT. LABOR REQUIRED IS TO REMOVE ENGINE COVER, LOCATE SOLENOID ASSEMBLY, DISCONNECT WIRING CONNECTOR, REPLACE PART, RECONNECT WIRING CONNECTOR, START EB TO CHECK ALL OK, PUT ENGINE COVER BACK AND SECURE HARDWARE. ALL THIS FROM A LOT OF "HOW TO" INTERNET VIDEOS ON THIS SUBJECT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They said they fixed the purge sensor and the evap selinoid. But, they are taking it back today and i’m going to show them everything everyone has said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

EMISSION SYSTEM ISSUE.
yes it drives perfect but just when i put gas in it stalls and won’t start. i will definitely show them this. thank you

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
They said they fixed the purge sensor and the evap selinoid. But, they are taking it back today and i’m going to show them everything everyone has said.
You or your father can EASILY check whether the purge valve is still broken (stuck open) yourselves. Just follow this video here. He gets to the nitty gritty of it at the 3-5 minute mark.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This is almost always a evap system issue, usually associated with the evap solenoid, but also could be a ruined charcoal canister due to trying to overfill the fuel tank past that first pump nozzle click off on a continuous basis.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yes it drives perfect but just when i put gas in it stalls and won’t start. i will definitely show them this. thank you
FIRST THING i DID AFTER DEALER SERVICE REPLACED EVAP SOLENOID ASSY. WAS TO FILL TANK TO THE MAX TO SEE THAT THE ISSUE WAS RESOLVED. IT WAS!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts