Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and I am sure the topic has been discussed a lot so forgive me but I am asking the question.
Are any of the after market cold air intakes worth the trouble and money? Any problems with the car after installation? Noticeable improvements in HP?
Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went the air raid inlet tube and a drop in air filter with a stress throttle body spacer... Definete improvements in throttle response and turbo noise. Im sure there is a slight hp gain but I haven’t tuned the car yet still under bumper 2 warranty..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went the air raid inlet tube and a drop in air filter with a stress throttle body spacer... Definete improvements in throttle response and turbo noise. Im sure there is a slight hp gain but I haven’t tuned the car yet still under bumper 2 warranty..
Steeda throttle body

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
According to Dyno testing, the stock intake with a drop in high flow filter makes more power than the aftermarket cold air intakes. The only improvement is to swap in the Air Raid intake tube.

If you like the looks and the sound then get the intake you like, just know you may be giving up a few HP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Dyno testing, the stock intake with a drop in high flow filter makes more power than the aftermarket cold air intakes. The only improvement is to swap in the Air Raid intake tube.

If you like the looks and the sound then get the intake you like, just know you may be giving up a few HP.[/QUO
Any known issues with just installing a new filter or the AIRAID tube?

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
No issues that I've heard.

Reactions: kboyer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a JLT CAI, biggest difference is sound...about as close as you can get to a BOV , I enjoy it though. Also have a Steeda Throttle Body Spacer in the toolbox I haven’t thrown in yet (not CARB) but apparently that’s supposed to help the throttle response a bit.

Other than that, like mentioned above a tune is what you need to get the parts you put in really going. I can’t for sure say if there’s any difference up or down with the CAI swap, but it sounds a helluva lot nicer.

Also, self install only took about 40 minutes, absolutely no issues from install day 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to Steeda and their dyno testing their CAI will give you more power on a stock tune but more so at the top end of the RPMS but I havent seen anyone else thats tested this.
Thats one problem ive found is not many people that have dynoed individual parts and especially even more so on the 2018's, American Muscle and one or two others used to dyno everything but I havent found much of anything dyno tested for the 2018's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New to the forum and I am sure the topic has been discussed a lot so forgive me but I am asking the question.
Are any of the after market cold air intakes worth the trouble and money? Any problems with the car after installation? Noticeable improvements in HP?
Thank you all for your help.
K&N gave me code problems

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
According to this video the Steeda CAI saw an increase of 28hp over the stock airbox, without a tune.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
According to this video the Steeda CAI saw an increase of 28hp over the stock airbox, without a tune.
Since the video was produced by Steeda themselves... It wouldn't be baised in anyway... Would it now? :)

I like how all these videos and claims are always made by the manufacturers or those who have a vested interest in selling them.

No way would any CAI without a tune make an extra 26.7 rwhp on a stock Ecoboost Mustang as claimed in the video.

Reactions: ImAnthony

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Since the video was produced by Steeda themselves... It wouldn't be baised in anyway... Would it now? :)
I like how all these videos and claims are always made by the manufacturers or those who have a vested interest in selling them.
No way would any CAI without a tune make an extra 26.7 rwhp on a stock Ecoboost Mustang as claimed in the video.
I completely agree that it's biased, and that a CAI alone would not be capable of producing an extra 26HP without a tune... however, I do believe that a CAI does, or at least should give a little extra something somewhere over the stock airbox, whether that's HP or Torque or maybe even both.

Reactions: ImAnthony

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just installed the JLT CAI and it was a fairly easy install 1hour .. beer breaks included. I did get a check engine light but it was due to forgetting to plug in a sensor.. no biggy.. the sound and look was worth it . But I have noticed better throttle response..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Isn't 300 hp sufficient?
300hp is plenty... But there is that dark niggling fact hidden deep in the subconsciousness of men, that surfaces every now and then that reminds us it would be nicer if the horsepower was a little closer to a GT. :)

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I completely agree that it's biased, and that a CAI alone would not be capable of producing an extra 26HP without a tune... however, I do believe that a CAI does, or at least should give a little extra something somewhere over the stock airbox, whether that's HP or Torque or maybe even both.
Since the engine's requirement for air is at the greatest, when at high boost and high RPM, only then, and only if the stock airbox is starving for air, will a different designed CAI or freer flowing filter make a difference IMO.
I don't believe any of the aftermarket CAI's provide any 'colder' air (which is better of course), over the stock air box.
If anything, the open top aftermarket boxes would have to be worse than the closed stock box with sealed lid, as the open box design, uses the hood as the 'lid', which has the heat of the sun beating down on the metal hood, transferring that heat by radiation into the box when the car is idling and stationary.

Also, the size or volume of the box itself is still limited by the size of the inlet mouth leading to the box from behind the grille and the size of the turbo mouth opening, which must remain the same if it is to fit.

The louder sucking sound made by these aftermarket CAI's is more to do with the cone pod filter design over a flat filter.
I guarantee, if you could somehow, fit a small pod filter into the existing stock airbox... You would also get an increased sucking sound. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Since the engine's requirement for air is at the greatest, when at high boost and high RPM, only then, and only if the stock airbox is starving for air, will a different designed CAI or freer flowing filter make a difference IMO.
I don't believe any of the aftermarket CAI's provide any 'colder' air (which is better of course), over the stock air box.
If anything, the open top aftermarket boxes would have to be worse than the closed stock box with sealed lid, as the open box design, uses the hood as the 'lid', which has the heat of the sun beating down on the metal hood, transferring that heat by radiation into the box when the car is idling and stationary.

Also, the size or volume of the box itself is still limited by the size of the inlet mouth leading to the box from behind the grille and the size of the turbo mouth opening, which must remain the same if it is to fit.

The louder sucking sound made by these aftermarket CAI's is more to do with the cone pod filter design over a flat filter.
I guarantee, if you could somehow, fit a small pod filter into the existing stock airbox... You would also get an increased sucking sound. :)
But those after market CAIs are so much better looking..lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not unexpectedly, the Steeda video shows virtually no change until around 4500 over the stock air box without a tune, then dying out after 5600. That tells me that the stock box works well for "normal" street driving. Assuming the Steeda numbers are legit, that's not really going to do me a lot of good, since I'm all about torque gain in the 2-4k range, and that only looks to be accomplished through a tune.

One thing I'd be curious to have them dyno would be the difference between the stock paper filter, and a drop-in aftermarket in the stock air box. As a few have posted here, the stock air box actually flows pretty well. It's very possible the added HP/TQ Steeda got was from the filter element itself.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Did anyone also notice in the Steeda video, that the 'stock' Ecoboost Mustang did not have a stock exhaust?

How much extra hp did that add? ... It's a well known fact, that if you increase air in... You have to also decrease pressure out to increase performance.

So the Steeda video is a lie.... Caught red-handed. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
300hp is plenty... But there is that dark niggling fact hidden deep in the subconsciousness of men, that surfaces every now and then that reminds us it would be nicer if the horsepower was a little closer to a GT. :)
Go Further, you write so well it is almost believable. And here I went and gave up my 13 GT for the 18 EB never experiencing that "niggling fact" deep in my subconscious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts