Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local Ford dealership service advisor just called me and said I have a blown head gasket. My car was there to have a transmission leak fixed on my 18 Ecoboost. They said coolant was low due to head gasket leak. They also said it was throwing codes related to head gasket leak. The car was running fine when I brought it in and only has 65000 miles. No white smoke in exhaust. Is there a valid test I can do to verify head gasket is blown? The error codes I saw when recently scanned were PO496, PO456, PO450, and P2196. I looked these up none seem to point to head gasket imo, but point to evap issue that started after my car overfilled with gasoline a few months back. TBH I don't trust my Ford dealership, so any tips to truly rule out a blown head gasket are appreciated. Still not sure why coolant would be low. Could that be normal on a 2018 with 65000 miles? I never checked the coolant level myself. Trying to find out from the Ford dealership how much coolant they added to it.
Thanks!
DJ

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
My local Ford dealership service advisor just called me and said I have a blown head gasket. My car was there to have a transmission leak fixed on my 18 Ecoboost. They said coolant was low due to head gasket leak. They also said it was throwing codes related to head gasket leak. The car was running fine when I brought it in and only has 65000 miles. No white smoke in exhaust. Is there a valid test I can do to verify head gasket is blown? The error codes I saw when recently scanned were PO496, PO456, PO450, and P2196. I looked these up none seem to point to head gasket imo, but point to evap issue that started after my car overfilled with gasoline a few months back. TBH I don't trust my Ford dealership, so any tips to truly rule out a blown head gasket are appreciated. Still not sure why coolant would be low. Could that be normal on a 2018 with 65000 miles? I never checked the coolant level myself. Trying to find out from the Ford dealership how much coolant they added to it.
Thanks!
DJ
Low coolant level is a warning sign, that will often lead to head gasket failure.
We have some very helpful threads archived, try typing "low coolant" or "head gasket" into search community.

Reactions: zhent and Buldawg76

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
If you had a head gasket fissure, and you were leaking coolant into the cylinders, then your car would be registering knock left and right. You would need a scanning device to plug into your car (I use an app on my iPhone and the OBD MX adapter) and then you can see if the cylinders are registering knock. High knock counts are USUALLY the result of a head gasket issue on this forum.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Definitely do not ignore a diagnosis of potential head gasket failure. Good path to engine replacement if true. Do the due diligence and validate/invalidate the diagnosis. Lot cheaper than the failure route. Speaking to the gas overfill issue; yes it can cause problems with the evap system and depending on the severity, require replacement of the charcoal cannister. If I remember correctly, that assembly is mounted under the spare tire well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely do not ignore a diagnosis of potential head gasket failure. Good path to engine replacement if true. Do the due diligence and validate/invalidate the diagnosis. Lot cheaper than the failure route. Speaking to the gas overfill issue; yes it can cause problems with the evap system and depending on the severity, require replacement of the charcoal cannister. If I remember correctly, that assembly is mounted under the spare tire well.
thanks for the reply.

is there a way to tell if it is the evap purge valve or the charcoal canister is the issue?

thanks!
DJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts