Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

New here and looking for an Ecoboost Mustang. Time to give up the boring Accord 2.0. Last Mustangs were a couple of 600 HP 2003 and 2004 Cobras. And even older than that but won't date myself. Obviously it's been a long time since Mustang ownership ha! Anyway, I've been eyeing up two Mustangs. Like the title says, one is a 2019 Ecoboost Premium with the handling package and no other options. The other is a base Ecoboost 2020 with just the 2.3 performance package and that's it. I haven't driven either yet. Probably won't as both dealers are long distance and this will be done via email if I purchase either. I'm familiar with both dealers and have purchased from both in the past. Both cars manual trans.

I drive about 20k-25k a year mostly highway. Which leans me towards the Premium and the added items that come with that package. However I've heard that suspension package is more firm than a stock Mustang and may not be good during my long trips of 600 plus miles. On the other hand, I like the idea of the extra HP and it seems the 2020 would be noticeably quicker than a stock Ecoboost. Plus I doubt there will be many that come with just the extra HP package. Seems like an odd match. But I'm fine with it. Only thing I would upgrade is to install the Tesla type screen and some audio upgrades. Don't really care about much else.

Oh, both are priced near the same so money isn't a factor. Any thoughts? I know very diverse cars. I can't find any info about the 2.3 performance package as a daily driver. Just see videos on the Ford test drives in San Francisco. Very positive by everyone of course. But would love an owner's opinion. Anyone on here have this package? I read back quite a bit and was surprised it wasn't talked about more. Though probably because not many out there yet.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
185 Posts
So a 2019 with PP1 has suspension mods, and the 3.55 rear end instead of the 3.15’s. They dropped this package in 2020 after introducing the HPP. It’s a pricey option, adding 4995 to the price. For that 4995, you can easily tune via ford calibration without voiding your warranty, add the street handling pack, larger intercooler, and be at the HP level of the HPP version with way more torque, plus the amenities that come with the premium package. The HPP does have a higher top end, they all have electronic speed limiters. Non PP are limited to 121, PP are 134, and I think the HPP is 140 or 145. There are several news articles here on the site that will link you to more HPP info. It also has a slightly bigger turbo, and is essentially the engine from the old focus rs. I’d probably opt for the 2019, and make a few mods to get the extras like cooled and heated seats, extra drive modes, etc...

·
Registered
234 Posts
So a 2019 with PP1 has suspension mods, and the 3.55 rear end instead of the 3.15’s. They dropped this package in 2020 after introducing the HPP. It’s a pricey option, adding 4995 to the price. For that 4995, you can easily tune via ford calibration without voiding your warranty, add the street handling pack, larger intercooler, and be at the HP level of the HPP version with way more torque, plus the amenities that come with the premium package. The HPP does have a higher top end, they all have electronic speed limiters. Non PP are limited to 121, PP are 134, and I think the HPP is 140 or 145. There are several news articles here on the site that will link you to more HPP info. It also has a slightly bigger turbo, and is essentially the engine from the old focus rs. I’d probably opt for the 2019, and make a few mods to get the extras like cooled and heated seats, extra drive modes, etc...
Not sure what you're referring to at $4,995... the performance package upgrade on the 2018-19 was $2,495. Also, top speed on the 18-19 PP models is 145, while the new 2020 HPP model is 155.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New here and looking for an Ecoboost Mustang. Time to give up the boring Accord 2.0. Last Mustangs were a couple of 600 HP 2003 and 2004 Cobras. And even older than that but won't date myself. Obviously it's been a long time since Mustang ownership ha! Anyway, I've been eyeing up two Mustangs. Like the title says, one is a 2019 Ecoboost Premium with the handling package and no other options. The other is a base Ecoboost 2020 with just the 2.3 performance package and that's it. I haven't driven either yet. Probably won't as both dealers are long distance and this will be done via email if I purchase either. I'm familiar with both dealers and have purchased from both in the past. Both cars manual trans.

I drive about 20k-25k a year mostly highway. Which leans me towards the Premium and the added items that come with that package. However I've heard that suspension package is more firm than a stock Mustang and may not be good during my long trips of 600 plus miles. On the other hand, I like the idea of the extra HP and it seems the 2020 would be noticeably quicker than a stock Ecoboost. Plus I doubt there will be many that come with just the extra HP package. Seems like an odd match. But I'm fine with it. Only thing I would upgrade is to install the Tesla type screen and some audio upgrades. Don't really care about much else.

Oh, both are priced near the same so money isn't a factor. Any thoughts? I know very diverse cars. I can't find any info about the 2.3 performance package as a daily driver. Just see videos on the Ford test drives in San Francisco. Very positive by everyone of course. But would love an owner's opinion. Anyone on here have this package? I read back quite a bit and was surprised it wasn't talked about more. Though probably because not many out there yet.

Thanks in advance for any input!

My history is much like yours and in Dec. I went through the same choice options. I drove both the cars you are looking at... I owned a 17 GT PP w/M82 manual so was already familiar with the pros and cons of fords PP and the M82. Fords audio systems, even their premium ones are not up to standard for me, so I always upgrade myself. The A10 is a better transmission, and comes with several driving mods and paddles shifters, so is in many ways the best of both worlds. But that’s a choice you’ll have to make.
Anyway after test driving the cars and having them on a lift to take a look, I knew I could get more performance for less money by doing my own wrenching. So I got a new Base 19 with the A10 for $19,000, just something to think about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look for new left overs on autotrader. I grabbed a 2018 Orange with performance pac. for 27000. My dad who is 89 got a left over 2017 premium in ingot silver with performance pac for 23000. Mine has the magnetic ride that's adjustable don't know if it is exactly the same but even in race mode the stiffest setting it seems fine. For normal driving just leave it on the softest setting should be similar to the standard suspension without magnetic ride. I don't really notice a difference between my mustang with the suspension left in normal mode and my dad's in ride quality

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to at $4,995... the performance package upgrade on the 2018-19 was $2,495. Also, top speed on the 18-19 PP models is 145, while the new 2020 HPP model is 155.
The HPP option is $4995.00. And yes, top speeds are higher on it.

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just to clarify, it doesn't get the RS motor nor is th RS motor any different from ours. Bore, stroke, the open deck block, the lack of material around the outside of the block are the same on any 2.3

The only difference between the RS and eco from the factory, are compressor wheel size in the turbo 50mm vs 53mm, the RS had a slightly better intercooler, slightly different cam profile and tune of course. But again the RS motor isn't any different or stronger than a eco mustang, please help put this rumor to rest.

ALL 2.3'S Valencia or cleveland's have the same motor, blocks are all paper thin and open deck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just to clarify, it doesn't get the RS motor nor is th RS motor any different from ours. Bore, stroke, the open deck block, the lack of material around the outside of the block are the same on any 2.3

The only difference between the RS and eco from the factory, are compressor wheel size in the turbo 50mm vs 53mm, the RS had a slightly better intercooler, slightly different cam profile and tune of course. But again the RS motor isn't any different or stronger than a eco mustang, please help put this rumor to rest.

ALL 2.3'S Valencia or cleveland's have the same motor, blocks are all paper thin and open deck.
I guess you and I define the word “different”, differently. A larger turbo, different intercooler and different cam profile by definition make a different engine. The blocks may be the same, but the engines are different. That’s why one produces 330hp, and the other produces 310hp. I guess all the automotive press is wrong, as that’s how they describe it as well. “A version of the Focus RS engine”. I view the engine as an entire system, rather than just the block. FPP sells the larger turbo and cam on the ford racing website now.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The Fusion TS 2.0 with 2.3 internals is the basis for a solid short block upgrade for our cars. The semi-closed deck design will allow more than the 400hp safe limit imposed by the 2.3 open deck design. Some aftermarket vendors will install a cylinder support system in the 2.3 block, but most builders don't see that as the optimal solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. It appears most people aren't a fan of the HPP $4995 price tag and the mere 20HP increase. It does come with some suspension mods, which would satisfy my needs. It will be interesting to see what a tune brings to that package. Seems like a better base to start modding. Still not much info about ownership and life as a daily driver out there. I guess they are few and far between even after being out for several months. Which I kind of like. IF this car had the 101A package, I'd be all over it.

The handling package on the Premium I'm looking at is probably too firm for 20k plus highway miles a year. I'm reading a lot of complaints about it in that department. Though I like everything else the Premium comes with. Those little niceties are a big plus the more you spend time in your car.

Either car I'd have to change tires asap. Summer only tires in the West Virginia mountains in the winter doesn't sound appealing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
“The handling package on the Premium I'm looking at is probably too firm for 20k plus highway miles a year. I'm reading a lot of complaints about it in that department. Though I like everything else the Premium comes with. Those little niceties are a big plus the more you spend time in your car.”

I have a Premium Convertible, no PP option, but wheel and stripe package so it does have the 19” wheels. I added the street handling pack from Ford Performance. It made a drastic difference. It basically adds the handling components of the PP. It’s not terrible though, and the better handling is worth the comfort exchange. I have heard the “track handling package” on the other hand is much less comfortable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ecoboost premium will have a nice soft suspension, performance pack will make it stiffer.

an even better option is steeda non adjustable pro action shocks struts, and progressive springs and sway bars. Can be had around 1k for everything and camber plates

far superior than what you’ll get from ford, and Itl be 1.125 inches lower front and 1 inch rear

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The handling package on the Premium I'm looking at is probably too firm for 20k plus highway miles a year. I'm reading a lot of complaints about it in that department. Though I like everything else the Premium comes with. Those little niceties are a big plus the more you spend time in your car.

Either car I'd have to change tires asap. Summer only tires in the West Virginia mountains in the winter doesn't sound appealing.
FWIW, i have owned a 15 Premium with the Performance Package and now have a 17 Premium with the Performance Package.

I drive approximately 20k miles per year mostly on suburban roads that can be pretty bad. I find the PP suspension to be remarkably smooth for the level of handling it provides. Certainly stiffer than the stock suspension but a lot smoother than other cars i have had with stock suspension.

If you drive mostly highway i would not be concerned about the ride at all. I do one or two road trips per year in the 500 mile range and have never found it an issue. To the contrary the car is very composed, not impacted cross winds and smooth as glass on the hiway. I do keep the steering set to the comfort setting as normal and sport tend to cause my forearms to get tired on a long drive.

No experience with the 2020 HPP so can't comment there.

Dave

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a '17 with performance pack and use it as a daily driver. It's a little stiffer than most cars, but I don't mind that. I'm willing to feel the road so that it will handle better. It's comfortable enough for me, but it's no 70's era Cadillac ride.

Reactions: KewlWinter

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
39 Posts
I have a 19 PP and daily it and do not find it harsh at all. At times I wish the ride was a bit firmer, as you can feel it wallow a bit when driving spirited. I bought i as a daily and have no regrets.

And not to date myself too much either. I remember points and distributors. They were in my first pony car. A 1967 Cougar

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. As the 2019's really start to dwindle, I'm leaning towards a 2020 w/HPP and the handling package. Koons has 2 (Here's one: New 2020 Ford Mustang For Sale | Sterling VA) but with such low 2020 Ford incentives right now, I'll wait a bit or even till fall. When I wasn't even looking for a Mustang (But always look at car pricing), I noticed the incentive increases in or around October/November. What a great time to buy then. I have noticed prices have crept up on the 19's since then and incentives dropped. Hard to leave a few grand on the table knowing what prices were. The 2020's will get there or close eventually.

Anyway, I've searched and searched and haven't found any first hand experience about the HPP package except for the reviews when first released and one owner doing a POV drive. Does anyone on here own one? Are they hiding in shame as other owners think they paid too much haha? Real world cost is less that $4k with discounts and incentives. Would love to hear some first hand ownership experience on the HPP package. I can't believe a magazine hasn't tested one against a GT yet. Just to see. Too much work I guess.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hope those prices dip for you oct/nov! Being as the HHP is a special package you may see that pricing doesn’t dip or doesn’t dip as much as the regular mustangs.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I noticed the incentive increases in or around October/November. What a great time to buy then.
Just keep in mind that the reason they incentives go up is they are trying to move left overs and your choices will be limited. Cars with popular options and colors are likely not to be available.

For me it is much more important to get exactly what i want and most of my new cars are factory orders.

My 17 was a factory order with all the options i wanted and non i didn't. It stickered for just over $35k and i purchased it for just under $30k about the same deal as the Koons link you posted. I ordered it April 10th and took delivery June 15th.

Dave

1 - 20 of 47 Posts