Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I looked at my oil cap and it says 5w-50. Does ecoboost engine really need that oil? I know that ford gt and shelby use 5w-50 for track.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Look in your owners / service manuals, it will specify what is required.
There have been some reported cases of the wrong info printed on the oil caps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is in the manual as 5w-50. Oil pressure hits the 90s when cold but drops after it reaches operating temp.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
43 Posts
Yes the Ford tech specs sheet actually has a few errors on it. One of them is the incorrect oil spec for the HPP. Others are coolant capacity for regular EB and sway bar diameters for HP/HPP (not there).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did any of you guys have oil change by dealer? If so any trouble? I’m worried about tech using 5w-30 by mistake since there are not alot of HPP out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally put 5w50 for the first oil change at 3k miles and the cars running strong. That was about 2500 miles and a few quarter mile days ago

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
This came up before and the owner's manual says 5w-50 for track days and 5w-30 the rest of the time.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
Online manual has this for HPP:
NameSpecification
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
XO-5W50-QGT
WSS-M2C931-C
Note: Oil must meet specification WSS-M2C931-C or use SAE 5W-50 oil that meet API SN requirements.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well I stand corrected, missed in the manual that the HPP was on another page. They also recommend 0w-40 for cold climates and this oil is also rated to the same high temp as the 5w-50. Since 0w-40 is more readily available and less expensive I would be inclined to use it all the time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unless you are going to autocross or track your car then use the 5W-50 all the time. I still believe if you use a high quality full synthetic ( Amsoil Signature 5W-50) you do not necessarily need to change your oil every time you track your car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I stand corrected, missed in the manual that the HPP was on another page. They also recommend 0w-40 for cold climates and this oil is also rated to the same high temp as the 5w-50. Since 0w-40 is more readily available and less expensive I would be inclined to use it all the time.

Would running the 0/40 over the 5/50 make any discernible difference? Or could it in any way harm my engine? I assume it should work more or less the same at operating temp

·
Registered
43 Posts
My belief is that oil film strength is more important than viscosity. It is film strength that keeps your parts from rubbing together. The better synthetic oils will maintain film strength over a larger temperature range than weaker oil of higher viscosity. So the 0W-40 will probably get you a little more mileage and not be a problem as long as you are not tracking your car.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Would running the 0/40 over the 5/50 make any discernible difference? Or could it in any way harm my engine? I assume it should work more or less the same at operating temp
There are no differences between the standard 2.3 Ecoboost engine and the HPP version that would require a change from 5w-30 to 5w-50 oil for normal driving. The only reason for the change that makes any sense is Ford expects the HPP to be driven harder and focused on high speed protection over mileage and cold start protection. The 5w-50 is not suitable for cold climates so they recommend 0w-40 for cold start protection . Since they don't limit the upper temp for the 0w-40 you are fine using it and in the long run it will likely be better for the engine because the oil will flow better at start up where 80% of all engine wear occurs.

As I mentioned before the 0w-40 is more readily available and costs less. Did a quick check of the Walmart site and 5w-50 Mobil 1 is $11.18 per quart and Mobil 1 0w-40 is $6.97 per quart. Both of these are standard Mobil 1.

I find it interesting that the the Ford Performance tune for the Ecoboost makes more HP and torque over the rpm range and they do not recommend a change from the recommended 5w-30.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are no differences between the standard 2.3 Ecoboost engine and the HPP version that would require a change from 5w-30 to 5w-50 oil for normal driving. The only reason for the change that makes any sense is Ford expects the HPP to be driven harder and focused on high speed protection over mileage and cold start protection. The 5w-50 is not suitable for cold climates so they recommend 0w-40 for cold start protection . Since they don't limit the upper temp for the 0w-40 you are fine using it and in the long run it will likely be better for the engine because the oil will flow better at start up where 80% of all engine wear occurs.

As I mentioned before the 0w-40 is more readily available and costs less. Did a quick check of the Walmart site and 5w-50 Mobil 1 is $11.18 per quart and Mobil 1 0w-40 is $6.97 per quart. Both of these are standard Mobil 1.

I find it interesting that the the Ford Performance tune for the Ecoboost makes more HP and torque over the rpm range and they do not recommend a change from the recommended 5w-30.

Thank you for the insight. Probably going to go with the 0w-40 for the cold protection. Not a track car or anything

They don't even have 5w50 at my local walmart, only place i can find it is amazon for twice the price of 0w-40

1 - 16 of 16 Posts