Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY daughter just bought a nice ecoboost premium convertible used. I want to order a oil filter but getting conflicting results. One site says it fits and when I go to order amazon says it doesn't fit..
Just want to make sure before I order it and climb under the car

Its still under warranty so planning on using Ford at least for now..Its if the FL-910S?

Its a cool car, stopped and turned off traction control and put in sport mode and at a medium launch it started to spin the tires hard. I was expecting maybe a chirp. The pony have some power !

On air filters, she is a true dailt driver person, any input on airfilter brand?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not sure on the 2020 but my 15 and 27 call for the FL910S but I use a FL400S, it a little larger.

Best thing to do is look in the manual, it will tell you.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on the 2020 but my 15 and 27 call for the FL910S but I use a FL400S, it a little larger.

Best thing to do is look in the manual, it will tell you.

Thanks, she didn't get a manual but I did find it online after your suggestion and confirmed it's the same..I use the 910s until he ford warranty expires then switch..

Its a fun car to drive for sure, how they get that much power from a 4-cyl is amazing

·
Registered
775 Posts
As @dgc333 said 910 is the “correct” filter, 400 will fit and offers an incremental amount of capacity. I bought Ford air filter and cabin filter, but won’t buy another cabin filter from them, it was truly a rude price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its strange because if I go on amazon or even walmart and pick the FL-910S they both say " this won't fit your 2020 ecoboost mustang.
Even the WIX, which i verified on WIX site and ordered said that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Its strange because if I go on amazon or even walmart and pick the FL-910S they both say " this won't fit your 2020 ecoboost mustang.
Well, I just went to the Ford online manual for 2020 MY and it states FL-910S.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the 910s at Walmart for a good price. Their book also said the KN 1002 would fit, no clue why their web site said no
Was a east oil change, hardest part was getting a rear wheel drive car up on ramps :)

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
I won't buy car parts from Amazon (or at least use their fitment) as I have had the last 4 (at least) wrong from them. If I'm sure of the part number, then I might purchase from them, not using their will it fit.

I am a fan of WIX and their filter is Wix 51348 ...

Reactions: oldnuff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I won't buy car parts from Amazon (or at least use their fitment) as I have had the last 4 (at least) wrong from them. If I'm sure of the part number, then I might purchase from them, not using their will it fit.

I am a fan of WIX and their filter is Wix 51348 ...
I stopped buying from Azazon for different reasons but think they sell fake parts. I had a Mobil 1 filter leak and should have sent it back. I also know form my mercedes days their a lot of thier "Geniune Mercedes" parts aren't even close.

·
Registered
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Pack
4 Posts
FL910S or FL400S both work. I’ve got the 2020 Ecoboost Premium HPP and went with the 400S. It’s also the one I would recommend out of the 2. Not only is it slightly larger but it has less pressure drop and better filtering over the 910S.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Long before the existence of Amazon or eBay I had a Wix oil filter fail. It leaked at the crimp between the can and the base plate. More recently I had two Motorcraft oil filters fail to seal against the filter adapter on my Ecoboost. At the time the car was on the lift and I needed a filter fast. Walmart was the closest place and I got a Walmart brand filter and it sealed up just fine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm also a fan of wix. If I can't get those, then I get the k&n. I use the extended filter size though, and always synthetic material filter. The part numbers for the extended size if you care are wix 51516xp and k&n hp-2009. It's one of the more popular sizes and can be found in almost all manufacturers if you choose. Luckily, my ranger and the mustang take the same filter and oil, so I can buy in bulk and save a little.

Reactions: oldnuff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder who makes ST oil filters? Will see if I can find out :)
I use super Tech oil now, $14 a gallon full synthetic and had better ratings then most " popular " oils and did great in Project farms test.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use the Motorcraft 400S filter. It’s a bit larger than the recommended 910S, but then you can use 6qts instead of 5.7qts when you change the oil. Measuring out .7 qts is a PITA.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use the Motorcraft 400S filter. It’s a bit larger than the recommended 910S, but then you can use 6qts instead of 5.7qts when you change the oil. Measuring out .7 qts is a PITA.
I will definitely do that the next oil change. Our walmart has a few Motorcraft filters which makes it easy.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I wonder who makes ST oil filters? Will see if I can find out :)
I use super Tech oil now, $14 a gallon full synthetic and had better ratings then most " popular " oils and did great in Project farms test.
They are made by Champion Labs. Champion also makes Mobil1, K&N and most other private label oil filters these days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts