Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Will the 2020 HPP mustang require 93 octane?
Regards
Require is a strong word. You won't see that 330 hp without high octane, but if it's like our non-hpp cars, it's not "required" for operation. I know some stock guys don't like to pay for it, but I have never ran anything but 93, and likely never will. Savings is not worth the power loss to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Require is a strong word. You won't see that 330 hp without high octane, but if it's like our non-hpp cars, it's not "required" for operation. I know some stock guys don't like to pay for it, but I have never ran anything but 93, and likely never will. Savings is not worth the power loss to me.
Well it will be my wife’s car , no concern for extra power...will 87 octane hurt the motor?
I run 93 in the Ranger.
regards

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Question is will 87 octane hurt the engine...the car will be here dec. 5th.
Regards

·
Registered
265 Posts
My 2017 PP has a sticker on the inside of the fuel door stating to use 91 Octane and reading through my owners manual I can't find any other recommendation than that. I would feel uncomfortable using anything lower in a high power turbo engine that uses direct injection. I spent the money for the PP and I think it's worth the extra 50 cents a gallon to keep it safe, just my take on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2017 PP has a sticker on the inside of the fuel door stating to use 91 Octane and reading through my owners manual I can't find any other recommendation than that. I would feel uncomfortable using anything lower in a high power turbo engine that uses direct injection. I spent the money for the PP and I think it's worth the extra 50 cents a gallon to keep it safe, just my take on it.
Thank you !
regards

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It drives off the showroom floor with 87 in the tank, the salesman tops up the tank with 87 octane, the vast majority of vehicles with ecoboost engines are running 87 octane because the owners dont care.

The stock calibration has no issues running 87 octane, you will be limiting peak power at the wheels to around 220hp though.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It drives off the showroom floor with 87 in the tank, the salesman tops up the tank with 87 octane, the vast majority of vehicles with ecoboost engines are running 87 octane because the owners dont care.

The stock calibration has no issues running 87 octane, you will be limiting peak power at the wheels to around 220hp though.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply..I assumed they came with 87 in the tank. I’ll probably run 91.
Regards

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That sticker is what comes with the Ford Performance tune. My 17 PP has it but i put it on after installing the FP tune. Both my 15 PP and 17 PP did not come with a sticker on the inside of the fuel door.

Page 127 of the 17 owners manual clearly states that 87 octane is the minimum recommended.

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why pay the extra $5000 for the HPP if you don't care about the extra power?

Dave
Honestly that is just plain stupid buying the HPP if you aren't concerned about power.... if it's for the wife and she doesn't care just get the standard eco with the PP.

And of course its your money, spend it how you will. I just don't like to see people throw money away for no good reason, also buying a high performance version of a car just to not use it's full potential is a bit of a mystery to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly that is just plain stupid buying the HPP if you aren't concerned about power.... if it's for the wife and she doesn't care just get the standard eco with the PP.

And of course its your money, spend it how you will. I just don't like to see people throw money away for no good reason, also buying a high performance version of a car just to not use it's full potential is a bit of a mystery to me.
I’m just stupid I guess..

·
Registered
512 Posts
There is, I suppose, some collectibility factor, or some people just want the top tier. Heck,if money wasn’t any object, I’d buy a GT500. I’d probably never use the performance but many would swoon at the sight of it! I mean, I get a kick out of people in parking lots telling me what a nice colour my car is.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Currently not on their build sheet. How do you do a special order For the PP?
Regards

1 - 20 of 51 Posts