Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the Mustang world. I’ve been told that these newer 2020/2021 automatic transmissions shift very hard. It seems to slam when slowing down and shifting from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.

Is this normal for Mustang trannys?
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I experience the same thing in my 2019 10 Speed, a little lurchy. What about your air conditioning , does it seem to surge as well?

·
Registered
853 Posts
On my 2018 it seems to depend on what mode I select.
With the transmission selector in D, and in normal driver mode, it shifts smooth. If I choose S mode with sport or track, then it shifts hard.
What modes are you guys using?

·
Registered
18PP 10R80
297 Posts
i have 2018 10R80 without the toggle switch. in D, the car shifts smoothly up/down...but i get the hard 'jerk' sometimes when coming to a stop and tranny goes from 3 to 1. ive noticed it does the 'jerk' when im coming in a lil 'hot' i.e. fast to a stop as in speed, not a temperature. ive figured out the 'sweet spot' combo of speed and brake application that allows for a smooth auto downshift from 3-1(stop). coming home everyday and it's doing that sudden jerk just as im approaching the curb to stop gets old, annoying real quick and demanded a resolution thru trill and error.
in S mode and using paddles is a whole other animal. i have tried downshifting from 3 to 2 when stopping, mostly to avoid the CPU taking over and doing its customary 3-1 shift. im not a quitter but manually going from 3-2 was proving futile..tranny didn't 'sound happy' and always jerked. ill find the sweet spot combo eventually but for now i let CPU take over the 3-1 bc i know what/how it likes coming to a stop and it feels a whole lot better than that insufferable jerking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here. I took it to the mechanic for the second time a few months ago. They found problems with the torque converter. I drive like a grandma so my opinion of the Ford Mustang is getting worse and worse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts