Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running these gears on an 18 Ecoboost A10? If so, are you ending the 1\4 at the top of 7th? Just trying to calculate the best gearing with this transmission and a 27" tall tire.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Anyone running these gears on an 18 Ecoboost A10? If so, are you ending the 1\4 at the top of 7th? Just trying to calculate the best gearing with this transmission and a 27" tall tire.
I only know of 2 people with ecoboosts that run the 3.73 torsen diff.
Forum member @WatchMyEco runs a 3.73 with a 6r80
YouTube channel- Watch My Eco

A fellow by the name of thelion over at 6g forums ran a 3.73 with the manual trans on his eco.

I put the ratios into a final drive calculator over at- http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

With a 3.73 diff and 27" tall tire the car would be traveling the following speeds in 7th at the following rpms.
6000rpm 129mph
5500rpm 118mph
5000rpm 108mph
4500rpm 97mph

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only know of 2 people with ecoboosts that run the 3.73 torsen diff.
Forum member @WatchMyEco runs a 3.73 with a 6r80
YouTube channel- Watch My Eco

A fellow by the name of thelion over at 6g forums ran a 3.73 with the manual trans on his eco.

I put the ratios into a final drive calculator over at- http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

With a 3.73 diff and 27" tall tire the car would be traveling the following speeds in 7th at the following rpms.
6000rpm 129mph
5500rpm 118mph
5000rpm 108mph
4500rpm 97mph

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
thanks slojas. i saw that as well which is why i was curious since i only saw the same post that you posted about. i've pretty much set my mind on 3.73s at this point. i ran 3.55s in my 15 A6 and loved it

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I think 3.55's are the 'sweet spot'.
With the 3.73, while acceleration would be awesome, as a daily driver, fuel economy will start to suffer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think 3.55's are the 'sweet spot'.
With the 3.73, while acceleration would be awesome, as a daily driver, fuel economy will start to suffer.
If I'm calculating correctly, as close as these gears are at 70 mph it's less then a 350 rpm difference between the 3.15s and 3.73s (and around 100 rpm from 3.55s to 3.73s). I'll look deeper into it before I pull the trigger though. Completing suspension this week then I'll be doing gears

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I find the 3.55 in my EB awesome, especially coming from my previous Ford Falcon that had a 2.73 and 6 speed auto.
Although the Falcon ran 0-60 in 4.9 secs and the 1/4 in mid 12's. :)

Reactions: Lightning blue 18

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find the 3.55 in my EB awesome, especially coming from my previous Ford Falcon that had a 2.73 and 6 speed auto.
Although the Falcon ran 0-60 in 4.9 secs and the 1/4 in mid 12's. :)
Badazz!! Have you run the EB yet?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
With 3.73 on the 10A ford performance tune and larger intercooler you will run mid 12s in the QM. You have stock 3.15 gears if you don’t have the performance package and I’d say the gear swap made around .4/.5 seconds in the QM over stock. Noticeable difference

·
Registered
318 Posts
With the 4.70 first gear in the 10R80 and 3.73 gears, traction is going to be the problem, especially if your going to do it without drag radials or slicks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the 4.70 first gear in the 10R80 and 3.73 gears, traction is going to be the problem, especially if your going to do it without drag radials or slicks.
Traction is harder but when you get the launch right it’s still signifiganly

·
Registered
995 Posts
Show me some examples of 3.73 Ecoboosts and the 1/4 times they've run.
I compared time slips with another member a while back. He runs 3.73 and I run 3.15 gears. He had me all the way up to the 1000 foot mark, but I was in the lead at the 1320!
I talked to Jessie at EMS and he told me that he ran 3.55 gears up to 600 HP and then switched to a 3.31 gear.
He recommended that I switch to a 3.55 gear and 28" tires.
PS: My ET was 12.61 w/ 3.15 gear and his was slightly higher w/ 3.73 gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I compared time slips with another member a while back. He runs 3.73 and I run 3.15 gears. He had me all the way up to the 1000 foot mark, but I was in the lead at the 1320!
I talked to Jessie at EMS and he told me that he ran 3.55 gears up to 600 HP and then switched to a 3.31 gear.
He recommended that I switch to a 3.55 gear and 28" tires.
PS: My ET was 12.61 w/ 3.15 gear and his was slightly higher w/ 3.73 gear.
My ET was 13.0 it was 13.3 with 3.15 ,the gears were the last thing I changed. Ive ran 12.68 with the same set up using The Cobb stage 2 instead of the ford tune. I. Not sure why your not getting faster QM with 3.73 over 3.15 it’s very noticeable. I’m running the Whipple IC which allows for run after run at the track over the Cobb IC. If I was gonna go above 400hp I would not use 3.73. My suggestion was only for moderate tunes and with MY experience. I’m running 295 tires in the rear. If you got slower times I doubt your tune is moderate

·
Registered
17 Posts
My ET was 13.0 it was 13.3 with 3.15 ,the gears were the last thing I changed. Ive ran 12.68 with the same set up using The Cobb stage 2 instead of the ford tune. I. Not sure why your not getting faster QM with 3.73 over 3.15 it’s very noticeable. I’m running the Whipple IC which allows for run after run at the track over the Cobb IC. If I was gonna go above 400hp I would not use 3.73. My suggestion was only for moderate tunes and with MY experience. I’m running 295 tires in the rear. If you got slower times I doubt your tune is moderate
If I did the stage 3 and used slicks at the track I’d get better times but
Show me some examples of 3.73 Ecoboosts and the 1/4 times they've run.
It’s gonna vary and depend on the tune and the tires. My Experience with just changing gears when I just had the Ford Tune Whipple Super cooler, and 3.15gears I’ve ran 13.3 on average. just the gear change I was 12.9-13.1 average on 295 tires. Since I switched to the Cobb stage 2 I’m 12.6-12.8 if I get a good launch. If I add the down pipe and stage 3 it’s gonna be faster. My suggestion was only for moderate tunes and using my example with the mild ford tune. I don’t know what I’d do with the Cobb tune with stock3.15 gears because I’ve already changed to 3.73.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your no
True, I do run stage 3. My mistake, I was thinking both cars had the same tune. Sorry
I may not have explained it good in previous responses Amother thing to mention is I’m likely 100 pounds heavier because it’s a convertible but at least the extra weight is in the back. I’m just afraid to mod it more because of smog laws in California. I can easily remove the tune but the down pipe is not easily removed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your no

I may not have explained it good in previous responses Amother thing to mention is I’m likely 100 pounds heavier because it’s a convertible but at least the extra weight is in the back. I’m just afraid to mod it more because of smog laws in California. I can easily remove the tune but the down pipe is not easily removed.
Hey I had one question. At what Rpm do you notice the best pull? I’m curious if the down pipe pulls stronger to higher Rpms. Mine drastically cuts back around 5800. With the ford tune it was about 5600

·
Registered
318 Posts
If I did the stage 3 and used slicks at the track I’d get better times but

It’s gonna vary and depend on the tune and the tires. My Experience with just changing gears when I just had the Ford Tune Whipple Super cooler, and 3.15gears I’ve ran 13.3 on average. just the gear change I was 12.9-13.1 average on 295 tires. Since I switched to the Cobb stage 2 I’m 12.6-12.8 if I get a good launch. If I add the down pipe and stage 3 it’s gonna be faster. My suggestion was only for moderate tunes and using my example with the mild ford tune. I don’t know what I’d do with the Cobb tune with stock3.15 gears because I’ve already changed to 3.73.
What difference did you see in 60' times, between the 3.15 & 3.73 gears?
What tire were you using?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts