Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure 0-60 officially but when I had the ford tune Whipple super cooler and 3.15 gears (100 octane) just changing the gears dropped my QM by .3/.4 on a good launch 295/45/18, My best time was 12.91 and my best time with 3.15 was 13.28 but with the Cobb stage 2 I’ve hit 12.64. My car is convertible so it weighs 100 pounds more. With the ford tune it hooks up great on the 295s at launch even with 3.73 on Without too much learning on The ford tune but if you have the Cobb tune stage 2 or 3 you have to get it right to launch. I’d assume I’d gain another .2 with stage 3. I’m running near identical times with the 100 extra pounds and only the stage 2 as others are with 3.15 and stage 3 coupes

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure 0-60 officially but when I had the ford tune Whipple super cooler and 3.15 gears (100 octane) just changing the gears dropped my QM by .3/.4 on a good launch 295/45/18, My best time was 12.91 and my best time with 3.15 was 13.28 but with the Cobb stage 2 I’ve hit 12.64. My car is convertible so it weighs 100 pounds more. With the ford tune it hooks up great on the 295s at launch even with 3.73 on Without too much learning on The ford tune but if you have the Cobb tune stage 2 or 3 you have to get it right to launch. I’d assume I’d gain another .2 with stage 3. I’m running near identical times with the 100 extra pounds and only the stage 2 as others are with 3.15 and stage 3 coupes
I didn't mean 0-60 time. I meant the 60 foot time, on your 1/4 mile runs. I see the tire size. What is the make and model of the tire? What years your car, and which trans?

·
Registered
995 Posts
If your no

I may not have explained it good in previous responses Amother thing to mention is I’m likely 100 pounds heavier because it’s a convertible but at least the extra weight is in the back. I’m just afraid to mod it more because of smog laws in California. I can easily remove the tune but the down pipe is not easily removed.
You guys have it tuff in California! As for the downpipe, when I made that run, my car was equipped with a 200 cell catalytic converter, which I purchased from Summit auto parts. What I don't know is if it is legal in all 50 states.
But it makes a difference when using an OTS tune. I built my 1st 3" downpipe and modified the stock catalytic converter to fit. My times were better than the stock downpipe, but not great. I contacted Cobb and they suggested that I switch back to stage 2 and install their downpipe before (which, according to the web site, included a 200 cell catalytic converter) switching to stage 3.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess the real question is what would my car do if I had 3.55 gears instead. One thing is 100% that the gears made consistent .3/.4 QM improvements right after I changed gears with the Ford tune. Off The line it felt like .5 second faster to 60 but I have no way to measure the Exact 0-60 change between 3.15 and 3.73

·
Registered
995 Posts
As for the RPM... Mine seems to pull best from about 3500 rpm and up, but my tranny shifts early, around 5250 rpm, even though I am still accelerating (I been told that a transmission tune will help me get more out of each gear). But as for the downpipe, I accelerate wicker, hitting 7th gear at the top of the track, where before I would finish in 6th gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't mean 0-60 time. I meant the 60 foot time, on your 1/4 mile runs. I see the tire size. What is the make and model of the tire? What years your car, and which trans?
I don’t remember exactly, now my best was 1.77I wanna say 1.8 approx but like Almost 2 with 3.15
295/40/ZR18 NT555 G2

·
Registered
995 Posts
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

My 60' is just a bit under 2.0 seconds.
Due to my gearing, I run the smallest tires I could find at the time of purchase.
275/40-17R (26" short)
My goal is to switch to a 3.55 gear, after I complete the installation of my EMS E85 kit and PD engine/transmission tune (as time and budget allows). But I wouldn't rule out the 3.73 gear with taller tires

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have the Ford tune, so my ears are definitely perked to this converation (albeit mine is a 2016 A6). I wonder if the 3.73 and the particular tire diameter mentioned have a synergistic effect with the Ford tune. FWIW, another item that I found to have a synergistic effect with the Ford tune was the Turbosmart 7psi wastegate.

Mine is the 3.55 PP gears, so I'm not keen on changing them (I'm really quite fond of the torque and subsequent accelerations on them), but I'm always open.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Who's downpipe? Cobb doesn't sell downpipes anymore.
I recently found a non catted downpipe on eBay (no name brand) for $100, which is on the car now due to a mishap with my DIY pipe (with 200 cell catalytic converter).
Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Automotive tire Musical instrument Muffler

Not pretty, but NMRA legal for my class and it made it through tech and I was able too compete in race #4, before pulling out of competition to address my high charge temperatures.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
And you're running Cobb Stage 2 with that? Interesting. Have you noticed the car running more rich since you've changed the downpipe. I know you only really track it, so you might not really notice somehting like gas mileage if your not daily driving it somewhat.

I ask because I have A LOT of opinion now on running an aftermarket downpipe without an appropriate custom tune after my mishap with my own downpipe and the ford tune, which I'm going to do a write up on real soon. I'm still datalogging my car everyday to be certain that the downpipe replacement is what ended up causing my issues, and should hopefully be wrapping it up soon. The car is still running a little rich, but not nearly as rich as it was before with the aftermarket downpipe. I chose not to reset the KAM, and just allow the PCM to relearn, so its a slower process.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As for the RPM... Mine seems to pull best from about 3500 rpm and up, but my tranny shifts early, around 5250 rpm, even though I am still accelerating (I been told that a transmission tune will help me get more out of each gear). But as for the downpipe, I accelerate wicker, hitting 7th gear at the top of the track, where before I would finish in 6th gear.
My A10 shifts at 5700 RPM at WOT, in every gear through 6th. This feels like a good shift point. The power definitely falls off above 6000 RPM. I've studied Ecoboost Dyno charts quite a bit, and with the stock head, cams, and turbo
they usually show peak HP around 5300 RPM.
I'm still on the stock tune, and adding an intercooler, air filter, and Airaid intake tube seemed to do nothing for
peak HP gains, but it definitely retains power through multiple 0-60 passes.
When stock, my car would heat soak after one 0-60 pass. The second pass would always be at least .3 seconds slower. Now, I can consistently run a half dozen 5.0-5.2 second 0-60 passes, with minimal time between the passes.
The other thing I noticed was after I added the filter, intake tube, and intercooler, my max boost dropped from 21 to 20 psi. I think this is due to the torque management strategy, in the stock tune, as my best 0-60 time didn't change.

·
Registered
995 Posts
And you're running Cobb Stage 2 with that? Interesting. Have you noticed the car running more rich since you've changed the downpipe. I know you only really track it, so you might not really notice somehting like gas mileage if your not daily driving it somewhat.

I ask because I have A LOT of opinion now on running an aftermarket downpipe without an appropriate custom tune after my mishap with my own downpipe and the ford tune, which I'm going to do a write up on real soon. I'm still datalogging my car everyday to be certain that the downpipe replacement is what ended up causing my issues, and should hopefully be wrapping it up soon. The car is still running a little rich, but not nearly as rich as it was before with the aftermarket downpipe. I chose not to reset the KAM, and just allow the PCM to relearn, so its a slower process.
No, I run stage 3. It probably does run rich. I average 5 miles to the gallon... Haven't been able to do a lot of data logging due to the non-compatibility of my data logger and launch light. Hopefully Ryan at PD can help me over that hurdle.
Plan on reinstalling the 200 cell catalytic converter before the start of the 2022 season.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
No, I run stage 3. It probably does run rich. I average 5 miles to the gallon... Haven't been able to do a lot of data logging due to the non-compatibility of my data logger and launch light. Hopefully Ryan at PD can help me over that hurdle.
Plan on reinstalling the 200 cell catalytic converter before the start of the 2022 season.
Gotcha. Yeah, there's no way you're going to be able to tell since you're purely racing.

·
Registered
995 Posts
My A10 shifts at 5700 RPM at WOT, in every gear through 6th. This feels like a good shift point. The power definitely falls off above 6000 RPM. I've studied Ecoboost Dyno charts quite a bit, and with the stock head, cams, and turbo
they usually show peak HP around 5300 RPM.
I'm still on the stock tune, and adding an intercooler, air filter, and Airaid intake tube seemed to do nothing for
peak HP gains, but it definitely retains power through multiple 0-60 passes.
When stock, my car would heat soak after one 0-60 pass. The second pass would always be at least .3 seconds slower. Now, I can consistently run a half dozen 5.0-5.2 second 0-60 passes, with minimal time between the passes.
The other thing I noticed was after I added the filter, intake tube, and intercooler, my max boost dropped from 21 to 20 psi. I think this is due to the torque management strategy, in the stock tune, as my best 0-60 time didn't change.
I'm hopeful to increase my rpm to around your 5700 and avoid shifting into 7th gear at the top of the track (after the transmission tune).
Not sure how to explain the drop in boost, guess your ECU doesn't think you need it with an increase in the quality of air your feeding your motor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anybody with the A10 trans, when paddle shifting at WOT, does your car have a significant delay between pulling the paddle to upshift and the trans actually shifting? On mine, it's fine paddle shifting, with partial throttle, but at WOT there's a big delay, which makes it impossible to capture the desired shift RPM. The trans shifts plenty quick, but there just a delay between pulling the paddle and the the trans shifting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm hopeful to increase my rpm to around your 5700 and avoid shifting into 7th gear at the top of the track (after the transmission tune).
Not sure how to explain the drop in boost, guess your ECU doesn't think you need it with an increase in the quality of air your feeding your motor.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the torque management strategy of the ECU, with the stock tune. It's limiting my max power. I've also done a lot of 0-60 passes between 45°& 75°, with no change in my times. There the same at 45° as 75°, again torque management.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s pretty weird I’m getting 25 lb boost using drag mode even ford tune went to 22. Mine comes with the Transmission shift points. The 10A has drag mode which gives lots more torque Right off the gate.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts