Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

415 HP or Bust!??

6K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  jdsfly 
#1 · (Edited)
Product Rectangle Azure Purple Font

My goal for the 2022 NMRA season is to get my Ecoboost Mustang into the 11 second range (which is where most of the coyotes live) on the 1/4 mile track!!
I'm hopping that some of my fellow forum members can grant me some guidance, in order to get there!
To date, my current best ET is 12.353 seconds, which calculates to around 380 crankshaft horsepower.
Where I'm at today...
2018 Mustang Coupe
Stock Long Block w/ bolt ons / 10 Spd Trans
TS Wastegate & Bypass/3" Downpipe/200 Cell Cat/GlassPack/Race Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Custom Air Intake/Catch Can/Data Logger/Tuned/E85 Kit/Tires/Wheels/Drag Springs/Weight Reduction to required 3600 lbs.
Car Vehicle Tire Hood Automotive tire

See less See more
#3 ·
Still working with Ryan on my E85 tune. He hasn't given me any type of projected horsepower potential. But next time I talk with him I'll ask.
I tested at the Summit Motorsports Park a few weeks ago using the E85 tune (revision 1) and only picked up an increase of 1% over my 93 octane tune.
Currently trying to arrange testing at Bristol Dragway in East Tennessee using a revised map.

#4 ·
View attachment 42686
My goal for the 2022 NMRA season is to get my Ecoboost Mustang into the 11 second range (which is where most of the coyotes live) on the 1/4 mile track!!
I'm hopping that some of my fellow forum members can grant me some guidance, in order to get there!
To date, my current best ET is 12.353 seconds, which calculates to around 380 crankshaft horsepower.
Where I'm at today...
2018 Mustang Coupe
TS Wastegate & Bypass/3" Downpipe/200 Cell Cat/GlassPack/Race Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Custom Air Intake/Catch Can/Data Logger/Tuned/E85 Kit/Tires/Wheels/Drag Springs/Weight Reduction to required 3600 lbs.
View attachment 42687
What have you done to the suspension?

#8 ·
View attachment 42686
Where I'm at today...
2018 Mustang Coupe
View attachment 42687
I hit 11.918 @ 115 mph today in a 19 convertible.
Snow meth injection, Ford cams, flowmaster outlaw exhaust with resonator delete, Roush intake, bbk downpipe, cv fab race intercooler with charge pipes, nitto 555r2 drag radials, tuned by Torrie @unleashedtuning.com.
Good luck

#9 ·
Awesome!!
I thought about going with "meth injection", but went E85 instead. Haven't really benefited from the system yet, mostly due to boost and back pressure concerns. Purchased a new Turbocharger and will be installing it and a backpressure gauge doing the off season.
Congratulations of your success!

PS: Do you have the Ford Performance cams, do you remember the part numbers?? Thanks

#14 · (Edited)
View attachment 43336
View attachment 43337
I picked up my Turbocharger on eBay. The seller purchased it for his Ecoboost Mustang and then traded his car. Best recorded ET to date 12.353 on pump ethanol.
My 2nd best ET was 12.425 while running mixed fuel; 1 part VP X85 canned ethanol, 4 parts 93 octane pump gas, with auxiliary fuel controller turned off.
Handwriting Material property Font Parallel Paper

#16 ·
Getting ready for the 2023 NMRA racing season!
New goal, reduce my best ET by a half second on the 1/4 mile track!!
Taking my car to Jessie Ringley at EMS (engineered motorsport solutions) for some remote tunning, after installing the new Precision turbocharger (with his EMAP sensor kit)!
Knowing the EMAP (exhaust manifold absolute pressure), should allow him to maximize the 52mm turbocharger, depending on the ratio of map to emap or boost to exhaust manifold pressure!
View attachment 43967
Who is actually tuning? PD, I thought? What is EMS doing to maximize the turbo upgrade?

#21 ·
You're losing a lot of torque multiplication by launching in second gear, rather than first. You have a 4.70 first gear ratio and a 2.99 second. You said you can launch at 2500 in second. What happens at 2500? Do you spin tires or does your torque converter stall? What RPM can you launch at in first, before tire spin is an issue? When you spin do you have any wheel hop?
Most guys running a 2015+ Ecoboost Mustang automatic, that are in the high 11s, are launching in first gear and running 1.60s in the 60 ft. Launching in second gear was worth a try, but it doesn't seem to be working for you. Your running 1.80s in the 60 ft. At this point, improving your launch and lowering your 60 ft time is probably the cheapest way to get in the 11s.

#22 ·
You're losing a lot of torque multiplication by launching in second gear, rather than first. You have a 4.70 first gear ratio and a 2.99 second. You said you can launch at 2500 in second. What happens at 2500? Do you spin tires or does your torque converter stall? What RPM can you launch at in first, before tire spin is an issue? When you spin do you have any wheel hop?
Most guys running a 2015+ Ecoboost Mustang automatic, that are in the high 11s, are launching in first gear and running 1.60s in the 60 ft. Launching in second gear was worth a try, but it doesn't seem to be working for you. Your running 1.80s in the 60 ft. At this point, improving your launch and lowering your 60 ft time is probably the cheapest way to get in the 11s.
In 1st gear, I push though the lights, at 1800 RPM, while in negative boost. In 2nd gear, I can hold 2500 RPM and launch with positive boost.
But, what I can't explain, is when going through the traps, at the end of the 1/4 mile is when launching in 1st gear, I'm in 7th gear and flat, (without acceleration). But when launching in 2nd gear, I go through the traps in 6th gear, while still accelerating.

PS: With drag radials and a proper tire warming, I get zero wheel spin and no wheel hop.

#23 ·
You're only the second Ecostang owner I've heard complain about pushing through the lights on drag radials. The other one was a buddy of mine, with a 16' A6 premium, with a killer stereo, that weighed 3,800+ lbs, with a few gallons of gas and no driver. Unfortunately, he didn't stick with the drag radials long enough to sort out the problem. He ran 12.20s, on the stock 235/50/18 all seasons, with a Tune+ E30 tune and wastegate actuator, air filter, and big intercooler, nothing else. He ran consistent 1.70s on his stock tires. He's a really good driver and mostly runs the 1/8 mile, because that's his closest track, and the 1/8 mile really plays to the Ecostang's strengths, with the stock turbo. He decided to keep the car really stock appearing and stick with the stock wheels and tires. Also, his car dynoed at 377/455. After several hundred 1/8 mile passes and around 120,000 miles, he ecoboomed.
He's since added an EMS block and bigger turbo and is in the process of getting that sorted out. To be continued.

#27 ·
2nd gear has a lot of forgiveness, I really have to push on it hard to push through the lights.
My personal best ET of 12.35 is with a 2nd gear launch and manual shifting, I've never gotten below 12.50 with a 1st gear launch and auto shifting.
All current data is with stock turbocharger, I'm scheduled for testing with the new turbocharger in March.

#28 ·
Shifting at 6000 is a little high, for the stock turbo, head, and cams. I'd try 5700. Is the manual shifting improved, with the trans tune. Mine sucks at WOT manual shifting. It's fine partial throttle, but at WOT there's a big delay between pressing the paddle and the shift actually occurring. It makes it impossible to capture a specific shift RPM.

#32 ·
The car was real weak off the line, like it wasn't getting enough fuel, but once it got going, it pulled strong!??
Would this be a characteristic of the NX2 turbo? Isn’t the rpm range 500 or so higher? On E85 are you just running the HPFP only with stock injectors? or did you upgrade injectors as well? Could be reaching limit on the stock injectors perhaps.

#36 ·
Did you ever find anything with the low power, during low rpm? I suspect it's just the bigger turbo. The fix would be a higher stall speed converter. Your 60' times got worse, but at least your mph went up.

#37 ·
Is it ok to spike 93 octane with a small amount of e85 with stock fuel guts? Im talking about like a half gallon on top of 4 gallons of 93 ? I can get both from my local gas station pump. Simple math says thats 8/1 and should add around 12% ethanol or so. I have a friend who is doing it and swears it makes his EB peppier.
His is a stock tune 2018.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.