Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First event, February 7th!!!
I'm officially moving on to CamC and I'm making changes so DS is no longer an option. Changes will be slow as I've made the mistake of major changes all at once and got things so unbalanced I struggled to sort it out

Current setup
Steeda front and rear antiroll bars
K&N high flow filter
Removed engine cover
Removed under hood liner
Removed trunk lid liner
Drilled grille opening at air cleaner
Opened up hood vents
Continental Extreme Contact Sport 275/35ZR19
Custom alignment

·
Administrator
6,490 Posts
I'm headed there as well. There wasn't any competition in ESP, and the top 2 slots in CAM in our region were held down by EcoBoosts. I ran Hoosiers for part of the year, but could not justify the cost for just Autocross (not allowed to run <200 tread wear tires in the SCCA Time Trial series).

I only run in one group for autocross, but it'll be more fun to run with the CAM groupies.

Reactions: bidaci

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
I'm not sure how much I'll get out this year, but when I do it'll be in CAM.

Because I'm essential personnel at work, I have chosen this past year to limit any potential exposure. I have watched co-workers who didn't do so come down with COVID as a result. Hopefully I'll be able to get vaccinated in February/March and get back closer to life as usual.

Reactions: bidaci

·
Administrator
6,490 Posts
my first event in CAM-C. I do have an advantage ... This is the road course event (autocross cones put on a portion of a road course, standing start, flying finish [like the track sprints at nationals] on my HOME track of Eagles Canyon. bwahahahaha.
I have beat all here on the 1.65 as a full course. We'll see how Sunday turns out!!

Reactions: bidaci and zhent

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my first event in CAM-C. I do have an advantage ... This is the road course event (autocross cones put on a portion of a road course, standing start, flying finish [like the track sprints at nationals] on my HOME track of Eagles Canyon. bwahahahaha.
I have beat all here on the 1.65 as a full course. We'll see how Sunday turns out!!
So Squid, what about an update? How did you make out?? Video??

·
Administrator
6,490 Posts
So Squid, what about an update? How did you make out?? Video??
put off until the 14th. The track wasn't letting auto-x play when it was raining, they didn't want the mud tracked onto the course if the auto-x'ers went off (which they always do), and the course workers go back and forth onto the track.
Will see how the next schedule fares.

There will be video, yes indeed!!

Reactions: bidaci and zhent

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whelp, today's is the first event and I'm going to miss it. Previous plans that I forgot about take precedent. Next local event isn't until March so I may have to look at alternatives for a test and tune. I was hoping to get at least one event in before I start further upgrades but a 2 month down time may lend itself to a spring swap!

I am near the SCCA PS1 bring held in FL next weekend. Yet, at this point I really have no desire to go down that rabbit hole.

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
I'm still thinking about going to an event on Feb 13th. The problem is that it'll be below freezing that day and somehow standing outside in that all day doesn't seem like a good idea.

·
Administrator
6,490 Posts
I'm still thinking about going to an event on Feb 13th. The problem is that it'll be below freezing that day and somehow standing outside in that all day doesn't seem like a good idea.
That is the issue I have with the 14th event. . .

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cold is no fun. Can't say I'm real sorry missing today as it was early rain and overcast. Alright temps aren't bad.

Quick question for you two. Have you done splitters and spoilers and if so have you noticed that it helped at all?

·
Administrator
3,670 Posts
Because my car is also my daily driver I haven't done anything beyond what can be found in the Ford parts catalog. The California Special splitter is bigger than any of the others, but not up to what the could be done.

One of the guys in my area with a GT mustang has done full on spoilers and splitters with his car. You can see it here: SCCA CAM-C Thread

He says it really helps the car feel planted on course. I missed that event, so didn't see it in action myself, but the photos I've seen of it on course look good. He took 2nd in the first event of the season, to a driver who has a national title under his belt...

·
Administrator
6,490 Posts
No aero for me. Against the rules in SCCA Time Trials T3 class. :(

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Season is sadly over. This changing the car bit by bit us painful but does work. I finished out the year first in class to take the CamC championship in the region.

Quick recap:
  • Love the Steeda sway bars. I find the PP bars with the fused bushings restrictive.
  • After finishing 3rd in a trackcross I overlapped video from the 1st place car. It was obvious that I was losing quite a bit of time in between the elements where the V8's could stretch there legs. Obviously I needed more powah
  • After researching my alternatives I went with the Ford Performance Tune. While I know I left ultimate power on the table I liked that the FP tune also tuned the transmission and nannies. This was a huge benefit. Surprised the hell out of me how much it helped closing the gap.
  • Steeda 20 mm spacers on the front to widen track and help with understeer. It did help and it did look better but it was ultimately not for me.
  • Lowering springs were next but I did it a bit different. Again staying with the one change at a time and some old school theorizing I decided to just do the front springs only. Finding info on the stock PP is not forthcoming. A couple of emails back and forth to Dion at BMR suspension I decided to go with the sp081r.
  • I'm loving the stance and turn in of the car this way. So much that I was now fighting oversteer. And this is where I took the wheel spacers off. There is no negative to this. Narrower track width in front, better turn in, less unsprung weight, still very compliant daily driving and the rake is perfect.
Excitedly, the last event was to be the trackcross again and now I could see how hard the V8's we're pulling on me Unfortunately, it turned out to be a extremely wet day. I did manage a 2nd place finish. While I did everything I thought to do to pull power and to get traction I missed 1st by .131 seconds over a 72 second course

Annoyed, I had to do some wet weather testing. I found the Ford tune allows quite a bit of wheel spin before kicking in softly with the traction control on. Next was to play around with the drive modes. Doing steady state driving in Sport+ mode (remember I have the A10) there doesn't appear to be much difference in the mapping even in wet/snow mode, except for drag mode. Interestingly enough, drag mode seems to give allow more throttle with less boost in part throttle situations. It doesn't hold gear like sport or track mode but that's why I use Sport+ so can shift to 3rd and lock it in so that's not an issue. I'll need to do further testing but it may be that drag mode could be the setting for less then ideal traction situations.

End of my babbling. Hope everyone had a great season of racing! Further tweaking to come.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First race of the season is in 3 weeks! Can't wait to get out there. We have a new venue which will be interesting as it is said to larger allowing for longer courses.

Not throwing money into upgrading stuff randomly has been hard but I'm holding fast. The only changes I'm going to have is the Steeda rear bar set on full soft and a set of closeout 265/35r19 re71r tires.

The tires I'm hoping to see major improvements with alone. The Conti ECS did well but it's time to do better then well. And with the bar set on soft I'm hoping that the back end feels more planted so I can go into sweepers faster without feeling like I'm going to lose the back end and allow me to get on the power earlier without looping.

Luckily I have someone (in a different class) that we run close with that we can do comparisons with so I should get instant feedback on results

1 - 14 of 14 Posts