Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recommend the following to all new modders...

1. Read - read every build thread, read all of the performance posts, read all of the cosmetic posts. Read posts on Facebook, and "the other forum". Use all of that reading to make a rough plan. It doesn't have to be exact, but needs to include things you want to upgrade or change about your car to make it more "yours". Read the CJ Pony Parts, American Muscle, and LMR web sites. They have a lot of information and of course will be primary sources for parts when you get to that.

2. Plan - Write a list of things you want to to. Realize that this list will and must change as you learn about new and different possible modifications. Make sure in your planning that the things you want to do will all work together and won't cause you to take one mod off in order to do another. I see a lot of used modification parts get sold because the owner set a poor plan and can't use the early mods with the later ones.

3. Move at your own speed. - Some folks have the need to do everything all at once, but most of us know that our budget will only support so much movement at one time. Don't set an end date for your mods! It never ends, and there's always another new mod out there.

4. search the forum, then Ask smart questions. - If you've done all of the reading recommended in step 1, a lot of your questions will have been answered already. Keep in mind that if you have a question about the EcoBoost platform, that someone else likely had it too, we may have already answered it. Search. Then ask questions based on what you've learned, or for clarity. We're super open to that.

5. Start working! - If it's something you don't feel comfortable doing yourself, find a good local shop. Ask about that local to you (though we may have recommendations if you're local to us.) Otherwise most mods are fully within the capabilities of the average shade-tree mechanic. Most of them are simple "take the old part off, put the better one on."

6. Read some more because things will have changed from when you started.

7. Adjust the plan for the same reason.

8. Smile and enjoy your awesome mustang.

9. Go back to step 1 whenever the need arises!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Two other pieces of advice I'd like to add to @zhent very wise list is the following;

Don't be afraid to look into using second-hand parts to save some money if you are on a budget.
If you explore eBay, Facebook Marketplace and other online 'goods for sale' places, you can often find many Mustang parts at good pricing.

Many of the mods you will be needing for increasing the performance of your Ecoboost Mustang, if you think about it do not have any 'moving or mechanical parts' that can easily fail, such as:

- Intercoolers
- Exhausts
- Tuning devices like Cobb Accessports
- CAI's
- Catch Cans
- Strut tower braces and some suspension parts

For example, many people 'unmarry' their Cobb Accessport when they sell their car or return it to stock.
I saved AUD$400 buying a used Accessport V3 a week ago, and that saving can now go towards other mods I would like.

The last piece of advice I'd like to give that will benefit all who read the experiences you've gained when you do a write up on a particular 'mod' you've done...

Is, to be honest on the results and outcome along with any differences good or bad it made.
I believe you don't always have to be a 'fanboy' and praise an aftermarket addition, purely to justify buying the product and make you feel good if instead you encountered issues after installing it.
Your honesty in mod posts will steer your fellow members and this Mustang community in the right direction and better benefit their own modding decisions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Two other pieces of advice I'd like to add to @zhent

For example, many people 'unmarry' their Cobb Accessport when they sell their car or return it to stock.
I saved AUD$400 buying a used Accessport V3 a week ago, and that saving can now go towards other mods I would like.
This!! I also got one and for $250!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah for sure dont worry about using second hand parts hell my Skyline and my Silvia all have second hand performance parts from intake to exhaust and all the bits in between. come to think of it I think the only new bits I bought on each car as a performance upgrade were the coil packs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought a 2017 this past fall, started with bolt ons, catch can, Roush air box and cat back exhaust, Mishemoto down pipe and oil cooler and intercooler, Turbo Smart blow off and waste gate parts , bought a BAMA tuner yet to be used , life is good as I'm in my 70s and every day is Saturdays,

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Great points, especially with CJ and AM and LMR. All of those have build lists, or "wish lists". Before you buy something, put it in your wish list and sit on it for a while. You'll find over time, that you've changed your mind or that mod doesn't go with other planned mods.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The way I plan my mods now, (because money is tight for me at the present time), is make my 'wishlist' then prioritize them in order of

1. What I can afford now
2. Then which mod would give me the most 'bang for the buck', practical usage, most fun or be the most beneficial to me or the car at this stage.

For example, I want;

1. CAI
2. Axle-back exhaust
3. Intercooler
4. Cobb tune
5. Strut tower brace (already have the K-brace)

Of the above 5, the exhaust would give me great 'sound' but little in the way of increased performance, same goes with the CAI.
Strut tower brace... Only noticeable difference would be handling on rough surfaces and going fast in the twisties, otherwise in normal road driving not much noticeable difference over having the K-brace.
An intercooler is expensive but much needed, however, I went with the Cobb tune, as it would provide an instantly noticeable difference in everyday driving and provide the best bang for the buck of the 5.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bought a 2017 this past fall, started with bolt ons, catch can, Roush air box and cat back exhaust, Mishemoto down pipe and oil cooler and intercooler, Turbo Smart blow off and waste gate parts , bought a BAMA tuner yet to be used , life is good as I'm in my 70s and every day is Saturdays,

I think you really did your research lol!! Awesome list!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you really did your research lol!! Awesome list!

Added cross braces along with Ford's 70mm throttle body and spacer , a note the time to install Turbo Smart 10 lbs. is when you do the or a down pipe as you can move the heat shield out of the way and install without folding or mutating it ,

·
Registered
27 Posts

"alce" Hi. Since we are close in age(72+) I figured I would drop a line. I bought my 2018(used/5900mi) on Dec 27 and am just getting used to it. My first add on is Sirius radio as the first owner didn't opt for it. As I have been an AMC guy since 1974 this will be a new experience though I owned a 63 Fairlane Sport Coupe in 65. Hope to Really enjoy this site.

·
Registered
27 Posts

1. Read - read every build thread, read all of the performance posts, read all of the cosmetic posts. Read posts on Facebook, and "the other forum". Use all of that reading to make a rough plan. It doesn't have to be exact, but needs to include things you want to upgrade or change about your car to make it more "yours". Read the CJ Pony Parts, American Muscle, and LMR web sites. They have a lot of information and of course will be primary sources for parts when you get to that.

2. Plan - Write a list of things you want to to. Realize that this list will and must change as you learn about new and different possible modifications. Make sure in your planning that the things you want to do will all work together and won't cause you to take one mod off in order to do another. I see a lot of used modification parts get sold because the owner set a poor plan and can't use the early mods with the later ones.

3. Move at your own speed. - Some folks have the need to do everything all at once, but most of us know that our budget will only support so much movement at one time. Don't set an end date for your mods! It never ends, and there's always another new mod out there.

4. search the forum, then Ask smart questions. - If you've done all of the reading recommended in step 1, a lot of your questions will have been answered already. Keep in mind that if you have a question about the EcoBoost platform, that someone else likely had it too, we may have already answered it. Search. Then ask questions based on what you've learned, or for clarity. We're super open to that.

5. Start working! - If it's something you don't feel comfortable doing yourself, find a good local shop. Ask about that local to you (though we may have recommendations if you're local to us.) Otherwise most mods are fully within the capabilities of the average shade-tree mechanic. Most of them are simple "take the old part off, put the better one on."

6. Read some more because things will have changed from when you started.

7. Adjust the plan for the same reason.

8. Smile and enjoy your awesome mustang.

9. Go back to step 1 whenever the need arises!
Is there any place where one can go to find a "reader's Digest" condensed listing of the basic upgrades for the "Ecoboost". I'm not wanting a rocket but I have always tried to make my cars the best they can be. I am speaking at is "cold air intake" good, what exhaust mods are the best "bang" for the $$, just a starting place for someone new to EFI and turbo( my 74 had an Edelbrock}.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Is there any place where one can go to find a "reader's Digest" condensed listing of the basic upgrades for the "Ecoboost". I'm not wanting a rocket but I have always tried to make my cars the best they can be. I am speaking at is "cold air intake" good, what exhaust mods are the best "bang" for the $$, just a starting place for someone new to EFI and turbo( my 74 had an Edelbrock}.
Good luck with that!
Mods and upgrades are like anything else, subjective to opinions, and everyone has one.
The search bar is your friend!
View attachment 26379
I like to use the titles only and go for the device or upgrade you're looking for. 94% chance it's been discussed already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"alce" Hi. Since we are close in age(72+) I figured I would drop a line. I bought my 2018(used/5900mi) on Dec 27 and am just getting used to it. My first add on is Sirius radio as the first owner didn't opt for it. As I have been an AMC guy since 1974 this will be a new experience though I owned a 63 Fairlane Sport Coupe in 65. Hope to Really enjoy this site.
FYI Alce is Italian for mr moose , anyway waiting till spring to activate Seris, till then will increase HP, with bolt ons, it is simpler in some aspects to mod a car today vs 50 till computers took over in cars , tuning is a download, mods simpler more air in and out add a little fuel increase cooling and oil, bam done

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck with that!
Mods and upgrades are like anything else, subjective to opinions, and everyone has one.
The search bar is your friend!
View attachment 26379
I like to use the titles only and go for the device or upgrade you're looking for. 94% chance it's been discussed already.
Thanks. I bought this 2018 used and first have to check as I think there have been mods already done that the dealer didn't know about.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Thanks. I bought this 2018 used and first have to check as I think there have been mods already done that the dealer didn't know about.
Reading the forums here will give you an idea of what mods and the like appear as, so you can check your car over. Being as you are a motor-head, you should have no problem knowing what is stock and/or not.

The only thing that could really hide is a tune (if the device was not provided), the shop where you got your car should be able to tell you easily if there is one on the car. I don't know the quirks of other tuners, but with the Cobb, you can tell by trying the following:
  1. Start the car, leave it idling.
  2. Turn the cruise control OFF.
  3. Press the CNCL button, if there is a tune, the tachometer will go to a solid 1000's number (1, 2, 3, 4 or 5). There should be an audible hum as well.
  4. Press the increase or decrease on the cruise control, the tachometer will jump up or down by 1000 RPM increments and the audible hum will change in pitch.
  5. If this doesn't happen, then you probably do not have a COBB tune on your car.
(You are attempting to change the tune's map slot with this procedure)

·
Registered
697 Posts

1. Read -
2. Plan -
I would suggest:
2a. - VERIFY EVERYTHING YOU DO! If you don't have easy access to a dyno or race track, find a secluded section of road, hopefully with a "decent" incline, and get a WOT pull in a single gear from a rolling start. If everything goes right with your upgrades, you'll be able to quantitatively verify every mod made, and not depend on the "butt dyno".
2b. - DOCUMENT EVERYTHING YOU DO! That data can then be included in your build thread to everyone's benefit. The problem with mental notes is that the ink fades so fast!

With my gearing and manual transmission, Second gear gives me 10 mph for every 1000 rpm, making pulls from 20 to 60 mph/2000 to 6000 rpm very easy without the worry of breaking any laws (at least, on the country road near me). There's your poor man's dyno.

Nathan

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would add, though it may be obvious, do as many of the modifications and installations yourself—even if you’re not a mechanic, or otherwise feel out of your normal “comfort zones.”

Between manufacturer’s installation videos, instructional YouTube posts made by individuals, and general info on the board(s), it’s all out there. I can’t tell you how rewarding it is to successfully finish a daunting mod - as I found when I replaced the “head unit” (screen, etc.) on my base model 2016 EB. Met a bunch of people and got loads of advice and guidance. Even the little jobs (like hood struts, e.g.) can be rewording.

Simply put, Don’t be Afraid. Take the bull by the horns and DO IT!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would add, though it may be obvious, do as many of the modifications and installations yourself—even if you’re not a mechanic, or otherwise feel out of your normal “comfort zones.”

Between manufacturer’s installation videos, instructional YouTube posts made by individuals, and general info on the board(s), it’s all out there. I can’t tell you how rewarding it is to successfully finish a daunting mod - as I found when I replaced the “head unit” (screen, etc.) on my base model 2016 EB. Met a bunch of people and got loads of advice and guidance. Even the little jobs (like hood struts, e.g.) can be rewording.

Simply put, Don’t be Afraid. Take the bull by the horns and DO IT!
Got the old exhaust off an rough fitted the Roush cat back, it's a bit different fitting on a convertible as it has the bracing under the rear end, left side was able to install, right side had to drop the hanger next to the differential anyway done

1 - 20 of 21 Posts