Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the aftermarket Coil Packs (MSD) really any more powerful than the stock ones?
Today I got a high speed Miss at high boost. Above 4500 rpm at full throttle I could feel a hesitation (pretty steady miss) and a drop in acceleration. Haven't got into it that hard in a while, but I have noticed that the mileage has dropped off just a bit lately. I think I've got a worn out plug or maybe a weak coil pack (or both). I think it's time for fresh plugs, but last time I changed the plugs (many miles ago) I had a real hard time getting the coil pack boots to turn loose of the plugs. I'm afraid if I try it again, i'll probably tear one or more off trying to pull them out. Are the MSD's really any better or should I just get new Ford coils?

·
Registered
2022 Mustang Ecoboost Premium HPP w/handling pack 10at Cyber Orange
5 Posts
Are the aftermarket Coil Packs (MSD) really any more powerful than the stock ones?
Today I got a high speed Miss at high boost. Above 4500 rpm at full throttle I could feel a hesitation (pretty steady miss) and a drop in acceleration. Haven't got into it that hard in a while, but I have noticed that the mileage has dropped off just a bit lately. I think I've got a worn out plug or maybe a weak coil pack (or both). I think it's time for fresh plugs, but last time I changed the plugs (many miles ago) I had a real hard time getting the coil pack boots to turn loose of the plugs. I'm afraid if I try it again, i'll probably tear one or more off trying to pull them out. Are the MSD's really any better or should I just get new Ford coils?
i would start with fresh plugs, make sure they are all gapped perfectly. run it and see how the car behaves. i havent had any experience with high output coils on this platform, but have had slightly more crisp throttle response in other cars, as far as power goes i would say probably not measurable on a dyno.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got this car used with about 3k miles on it and the first thing I did was change the plugs to the
NGK LTR71X-11 Plugs. The stock Ford Plugs looked OK, but I always like to put them in myself because I have found so many in the past that were just poked into the holes with gaps all over the place. Didn't notice any change with the fresh plugs except for peace of mind knowing the were correct. Got close to 100k miles now, so after driving it the way I do, I figure it's time to freshen things up. I'll check out those coils too, Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I agree... MSD isn't what it was years ago when it was a brand to be reckoned with and reliable. I also installed the MSD's when I had my 2015 (before it was totaled) and had one fail after 5 months. It was a total *%# to diagnose, because it was intermittent at the time. I went back to the OEM and no problems. I have heard the Granatelli coil COPs are better, but truthfully haven't felt the need as the OEM coils provide plenty of energy as long as the right plugs (and gaps) are used. That equation can change of course once you start bringing the boost way up where you need more energy to jump that gap due to the denser mixture.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on coil packs if the car is otherwise stock. Stick with the OEM units.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had nothing but BAD luck with every MSD product I've ever bought. Bought a VERY expensive Optispark Distributor for a Corvette LT4 engine and hunted through numerous other parts, ( Injectors, coil pack, Ignition control module, fuel pump and fuel control module and regulator ) Only to FINALLY realize that the MSD Distributor timing sensor was bad to begin with. Another MSD 6al C/D module had intermittent shut off..... NO MORE! I wouldn't use any of their products now if I was given free ones! :sick: I think I will try the Granatelli coil packs. Seen good reviews with them and I do have a few mods, Huge intercooler and pipes, Exhaust wastegate controller. So I want to make sure I don't blow out the spark when I get into the boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts