Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed a roush cold air intake and while idling still at 70*F outside, the air inlet temp rises to 131*F. I thought this was too hot so I shut off the engine. It may have kept rising. Is this normal. Or what is the normal range. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That seems way high. Mine usually is no more than 10 to 15 degrees higher than the outside temps. Then falls to exactly 3* above outside temps while cruising. Its like clockwork.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had the Roush cai also and it seemed that the air Temps where too high for me. Switched back to my Airaid CAI and Temps dropped back down to with in 10 degrees. I miss the power sound of my Roush but Airaid seemed to be a way better CAI.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So I just installed a roush cold air intake and while idling still at 70*F outside, the air inlet temp rises to 131*F. I thought this was too hot so I shut off the engine. It may have kept rising. Is this normal. Or what is the normal range. Any help is appreciated.
Keep in mind that when you're just sitting around idling, that you're just building up higher temps under the hood as opposed to getting ambient air temps rammed into the intake. So it makes sense that you'll get higher temps idling while remaining still.

Another part to this is maybe there is a clamp not seated properly and its totally leeching hot air from under the hood. Worth a look over all the CAI connections.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Check for sealing of the Roush "airbox" to the hood. Like someone else said, if it's leeching air from under the hood, it's going to be hot.

Did you drive it at all or just look at idling IAT?

@Punchy -- what did you do with your Roush?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just fyi -
Started mine up and let it run for roughly 30 minutes in my garage (with the doors open of course). 15 mins with the defrost on and 15 mins without defrost. Cylinder head temp reached 132*. Air intake temps went to 54*, and oil temp never got above "low". Note that my thermometer in the garage was reading 41*, the hood was shut, and I have the JLT "open air" intake.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No I'm keeping it for just looks and car shows. Roush is bad a.. to look at but my airaid is better at keeping my air Temps down. IMO it's one of the best true CAI. The quality of the air box is fabulous compared to my Roush.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check for sealing of the Roush "airbox" to the hood. Like someone else said, if it's leeching air from under the hood, it's going to be hot.

Did you drive it at all or just look at idling IAT?

@Punchy -- what did you do with your Roush?
While driving it gets 10-20*F hotter than the outside temp which kinda has me worried because others say it stays at 3* above outside temp. The seal clamps are all fastened.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Check the sensor near the arbox, make sure it is pushed in fully, etc. It could be not connected all the way or something???

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just thought if this too. When i installed my JLT, i had to make sure the iat sensor was pointed in the right direction. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
FWIW, I have a JLT and the air temp will climb quite a bit if the car is left idling but the stock air box did too. Going down the road the air temp is always less than 10 degrees over ambient, again no different than the stock air box.

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts