Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ecostang Automatic, Stock (for now)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on the "stock airbox with a high flow filter is the same performance as a CAI" kick, but I'm debating whether to add a larger intake piping (Airaid Mustang Modular Intake Tube 450-930 (15-20 EcoBoost)). I read or heard that the 2018 and newer, Ford upped something with the intake so I was wondering if anyone had input on whether or not its worth replacing the intake tubing or leave it as is. I do also have a stage 1 tune. I'm also upgrading the intercooler and downpipe in due time as well

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
FWIW, i have had stock, stock with high flow drop in, a JLT CAI which has a large diameter tube like the Airaid and the GT350 CAI that come with the FP tune. None of these made any more power than stock as measured by the butt dyno.

The JLT made more intake noise because it is an open top. The GT350 is also an open top but is designed to seal against the bottom of the hood so it is no different than the stock air box.

Don't go buying anything for the intake expecting more power, you won't get enough to notice.

Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not necessarily, if your engine at peak rpms needs 500CFM and the stock intake can flow 550CFM with no pressure drop, going to an intake that can flow 600 or more CFM buys you nothing.

Dave
Very true. My problem is I'm always thinking to adding more. The engine will flow what you make it flow bringing in a whole nother discussion about porting, cam lobe, larger cranks and so on. Which is another reason why I really like forced induction bigger displacement motors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts