Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Same. I think your car is fine honestly. Did you keep oem downpipe? I mean sucks swapping them, about hour work. But would be worth while in this instance for piece of mind as a test

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Valance is not sooty. Not so sure if its because my Borla mufflers stick out a decent distance past the valance. But I've also been religiously watching the tailipe for any hint of smoke, and there has been nothing.
Yeah I’ve never had any smoke like many others who put downpipe, I attribute it to catch can helping. I read people w downpipe and no can, can smoke.
But black soot was building up.

my tips are not far out, I got them *****es almost flush. Lol so when it was running rich, it was instantly noticeable

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
First step is complete. Just put the FP 'passenger side' catchcan on order. I actually had this on my car a while back...but after 2 or 3 oil changes, it was always BONE DRY everytime I checked it. So I removed it and resold it. If a puddle is now starting to accumulate in there, I will know something up.

Cost me a little over 2 bills....but its worth it to have closure as to whether its the turbo seal or the pcv valve. My money is on the pcv valve. We will see.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
First step is complete. Just put the FP 'passenger side' catchcan on order. I actually had this on my car a while back...but after 2 or 3 oil changes, it was always BONE DRY everytime I checked it. So I removed it and resold it. If a puddle is now starting to accumulate in there, I will know something up.

Cost me a little over 2 bills....but its worth it to have closure as to whether its the turbo seal or the pcv valve. My money is on the pcv valve. We will see.

View attachment 39940

post pics when installed, I may buy one too. but if its a dumb location/annoying to change I won't.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
825 Posts
Stupid question. You sure that isn't over spill from the oil filter when it been changed on the belly pan

Also I once forgot to seat the dipstick in the hole properly after check the garage had filled it correctly. Couple days later popped the hood and oil all over the engine bay.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hahaha! I'm heavily leaning towards the new downpipe having a fundamental effect on my blowby. I just got back from picking up my daughter again from my parent's house. No CELS. Hooked up my OBD dongle. No codes. Car drove just fine.

It is going to be in the back of my mind though, just like @FreedomPenguin said. I'm either going to spring for a whole new PCV solution (upr dual valve with radium plate) or may put the OEM downpipe back on. Don't want to drive around worrying about a puddle of blowby accuumulating in my hotside pipe. But I'll check my catch can again in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Lastly, as far as going for another Ecoboost Mustang. Trust me, this car has been PLENTY FUN. I've enjoyed driving it and I've enjoyed modding it. But one of my life mantras is 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me'. The entire reason I got this car in the first place, was because I could mod it with a warrantied FP tune. I've meticulously researched every subsequent mod to ensure that I was being as safe as I could with it. After all, it still needs to be my daily driver. But if its not even able to last me 60K miles (I'm expecting 100K), then it would be time to cut my losses. FWIW, I browse the CArmax inventory here and again, and am in love with the Toyota Camry & Avalon TRD versions. I also really like the turbocharged Mazda6's with the skyactiv technology.

This is definitely a to be continued story....for now.....
You can't possibly be serious about replacing your Stang with a Camry, Avalon, or 6! If you want to definitively fix this problem, revert to the OEM downpipe and PCV system, with no catch can, and add a crankcase breather. I searched and searched for 2.3l ecoboosts, with carbon buildup on the intake valves and could only find one, and it wasn't very bad. The early 3.5l ecoboost had issues with carbon, the 2.3 not so much. Just use Top Tier gas and API SN+ oil.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
post pics when installed, I may buy one too. but if its a dumb location/annoying to change I won't.
I had it on previously. Here:
TᕼE ᗷᒪᗩK ᑎITE Oᖴ ᗪᗩ' 305

I ended up removing it, because it was BONE DRY after multiple checks. That's why I ordered it again, just now. If I put it on, and it starts filling up now...then it will tell me 2 things:
1) The 'symptom' IS the PCV system and not the turbo seals.
2) The 'problem' MIGHT be the downpipe, since it seems to have started after I added it.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You can't possibly be serious about replacing your Stang with a Camry, Avalon, or 6! If you want to definitively fix this problem, revert to the OEM downpipe and PCV system, with no catch can, and add a crankcase breather. I searched and searched for 2.3l ecoboosts, with carbon buildup on the intake valves and could only find one, and it wasn't very bad. The early 3.5l ecoboost had issues with carbon, the 2.3 not so much. Just use Top Tier gas and API SN+ oil.
Haha. I'm a Dad now to a 16 month old. I'm trying my hardest to hold onto this car, but I gotta be honest in saying that a Sedan, truck, or SUV would be much more easier for my needs right now. I did specify 'TRD'. They look pretty [email protected]$$ and perform pretty [email protected] well. But that's neither here nor there right now. Like I said, I'd like to see this car through. I'd only 'run for the hills' if it was a blown gasket.

I need more info on the symptom before I can come up with a remedy. There is no way for me to definitively tell if its the PCV or something else. If I can confirm its the PCV, my next step will probably be going back to OEM downpipe.

The crazy thing is that I've exhaustively searched for information on this particular issue for our cars....and while PLENTY of people have reported the 'smoke out the tailpipe' issue, less than a handful have talked about 'too much blowby'.

I've never used anything else other than top tier 93 octane and I've religiously changed my oil every 5K miles with Motorcraft full synthetic.

Stupid question. You sure that isn't over spill from the oil filter when it been changed on the belly pan

Also I once forgot to seat the dipstick in the hole properly after check the garage had filled it correctly. Couple days later popped the hood and oil all over the engine bay.
I believe there are no stupid questions. I'm fairly certain its not. As soon as I got under the car, I could see that it had a bit of a drip down from the splashshield. At no point since my last oil change, had I spotted any oil spots at any place that I've parked. It started only after the hotside pipe popped off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Congratulations on the 16 month old ! I was 24 years old in 1985 when I had a 1970 fast back and starting a career and moving often so I needed a PU and couldn’t afford two vehicles.
Last summer at 58 I finally got a Mustang again : )

·
Registered
227 Posts
Haha. I'm a Dad now to a 16 month old. I'm trying my hardest to hold onto this car, but I gotta be honest in saying that a Sedan, truck, or SUV would be much more easier for my needs right now. I did specify 'TRD'. They look pretty [email protected]$$ and perform pretty [email protected] well. But that's neither here nor there right now. Like I said, I'd like to see this car through. I'd only 'run for the hills' if it was a blown gasket.

I need more info on the symptom before I can come up with a remedy. There is no way for me to definitively tell if its the PCV or something else. If I can confirm its the PCV, my next step will probably be going back to OEM downpipe.

The crazy thing is that I've exhaustively searched for information on this particular issue for our cars....and while PLENTY of people have reported the 'smoke out the tailpipe' issue, less than a handful have talked about 'too much blowby'.

I've never used anything else other than top tier 93 octane and I've religiously changed my oil every 5K miles with Motorcraft full synthetic.

I believe there are no stupid questions. I'm fairly certain its not. As soon as I got under the car, I could see that it had a bit of a drip down from the splashshield. At no point since my last oil change, had I spotted any oil spots at any place that I've parked. It started only after the hotside pipe popped off.
It doesn't seem like you've blown a head gasket. Your plugs look good and dry, and it doesn't sound like you're burning coolant or oil. Have you checked your oil and coolant for fluid transfer?
As for turbo seals, they usually both start leaking when the turbo bearing wears and develops excessive play, allowing the shaft connecting the compressor and turbine to wobble. When the shaft wobbles, the seals leak, allowing oil into the exhaust and the compressor. The telltale sign of wear being oil in the exhaust burning and smoking. Although, it's not impossible for one seal to fail, with no excessive bearing wear.
Is your engine front cover leaking? It's not uncommon on our engine.
You could do a compression test, to verify your pistons and rings are good.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

View attachment 39940

I will join you in the journey. 228 shipped tax free from Levittown for me.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
You could do a compression test, to verify your pistons and rings are good.
Ordered this compression tester from Amazon.

Amazon.com: BETOOLL HW0130 8pcs Petrol Engine Cylinder Compression Tester Kit Automotive Tool Gauge: Industrial & Scientific

Everything that I've read points to this being a PCV issue...however, as far as I can tell, the PCV system is working fine. There is definitive excess blowby visually apparent out the dipstick hole. I'm starting to fear I have worn (or even possibly cracked/broken) piston ring on a cylinder. Compression test will tell me something's up. If its a worn or busted ring, it will also be trade-in time. On the flipside...no codes, no smoke out tailpipe, no excessive knocks or misfires, no coolant level dropping. I will continue to keep this thread posted.

I will join you in the journey. 228 shipped tax free from Levittown for me.
You should've DM'd me...I got it for about $18 cheaper at Blue Oval.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Amazon.com: BETOOLL HW0130 8pcs Petrol Engine Cylinder Compression Tester Kit Automotive Tool Gauge: Industrial & Scientific

Everything that I've read points to this being a PCV issue...however, as far as I can tell, the PCV system is working fine. There is definitive excess blowby visually apparent out the dipstick hole. I'm starting to fear I have worn (or even possibly cracked/broken) piston ring on a cylinder. Compression test will tell me something's up. If its a worn or busted ring, it will also be trade-in time. On the flipside...no codes, no smoke out tailpipe, no excessive knocks or misfires, no coolant level dropping. I will continue to keep this thread posted.

I wonder if they would of charged me tax.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Levittown treats me right most the time. I will settle for a few bucks difference. I know the driver side I kept having blo by out the can, I fixed it with the right stuff, it won't ever drip a drop again. I am wondering since there's barely any blow by on passenger side if I will ever need to do the same. I doubt it. but no biggie if so. I like the oem application.

can I install the passenger side without removing engine cover? to remove that, I gotta take off strut bar, engine car, the strut covers, battery terminal.

blah blah blah. if I can snake the little hose under and around the engine cover that would be sweet. I dread taking all that crap off to get to engine cover

·
Registered
227 Posts

How religiously do you monitor your OAR and knocks? I ask because that would be the most likely cause, if you had piston or ring damage. I don't think you do though, because your not smoking and your plugs look good. Have you checked all of your PCV lines for kinks or a blockage?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
How religiously do you monitor your OAR and knocks? I ask because that would be the most likely cause, if you had piston or ring damage. I don't think you do though, because your not smoking and your plugs look good. Have you checked all of your PCV lines for kinks or a blockage?
I don't fervently monitor it. But I monitor it often enough. OAR has always been good. Knock count have never been anything more than 2 or 3 on a given cylinder. I've been monitoring every trip since I discovered this, and knocks don't increment at all.

I did check my PCV lines. I disconnected the line going from the catchcan to the PCV plate on the driverside and there was good suction at idle being drawn at the unconnected tip of the catchcan. Disconnected the passenger side hose and was able to blow straight through on it, so no issue there. I am wondering about the PCV plate though. I do have the updated version, but maybe, just maybe, the valve has gone a bit haywire? I say that only because its a little perplexing why the blowby decides to go out the dipstick tube, rather than get sucked up through the vacuum of the PCV plate, at idle. But it also a little perplexing to me why there is SO MUCH blowby to begin with. And that's what leads me back to a possible piston ring problem. If the compression test checks out, then I feel a lot better, and will probably do a PCV plate replacement, since its so cheap. However, If there are suspect results on the compression test, I'm going to take it to my shop so the experienced mechanic can do a proper leakdown test.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Hallo
@gatornek I am really so sorry to read about all the troubles you are having.... I know how much you love your car.

I can't give you much advice on the problems.... most of this is discussion is flying over my head....

However, I would like to weigh in on this post, I'm starting to feel more and more like your Cape Town doppelganger....

So firstly, my baby was exactly 16 months when I bought the car. Putting in the car seat was the biggest problem, but once we put it in, we haven't taken it out....
Getting baba in and out of the seat was tricky (as you know), but I want to tell you that once he was a bit bigger and able to climb in on his own, it was just a matter of buckling him up and off we go. He has even mastered the art of getting in and out without me moving the front passenger seat.... but what I actually want to tell you is that pretty soon he started loving the car and feels absolutely cool driving around in it. He has even called "dibs" to getting it one day.... The boot space is great, especially when you have to lug sportsbags and school bags around... so if the car is fixed and having a 16 month old is the only reason for trading in, maybe hang on a bit....

Secondly, I actually also own a TRD.... :D
Beautiful Corolla hatch, 6 speed manual transmission, bought her in 2007... only 200 of them were available in South Africa so a bit of a collectors item!!! We have " parked" her now, saving her for my eldest.... but I can promise you when my husband pulls her out, we fight over who gets to drive....

She really gets a lot of attention, and on track day there are many more interested in her than the Mustang.

Toyotas are such good cars..
Have 160000km on the car. Unfortunately had to change the gearbox at 100000km (apparently was a common problem on these). So, I guess if you do get the TRD we will need to find a TRD forum to hang out on.

Wishing you all the best from across the Atlantic.

Here is a pic of my baby lovingly polishing his future car....
20200620_172406.jpg

And here is the TRD at a track day...
20191217_011320.jpg

IMG-20191214-WA0022.jpg

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hallo
@gatornek I am really so sorry to read about all the troubles you are having.... I know how much you love your car.

I can't give you much advice on the problems.... most of this is discussion is flying over my head....

However, I would like to weigh in on this post, I'm starting to feel more and more like your Cape Town doppelganger....

So firstly, my baby was exactly 16 months when I bought the car. Putting in the car seat was the biggest problem, but once we put it in, we haven't taken it out....
Getting baba in and out of the seat was tricky (as you know), but I want to tell you that once he was a bit bigger and able to climb in on his own, it was just a matter of buckling him up and off we go. He has even mastered the art of getting in and out without me moving the front passenger seat.... but what I actually want to tell you is that pretty soon he started loving the car and feels absolutely cool driving around in it. He has even called "dibs" to getting it one day.... The boot space is great, especially when you have to lug sportsbags and school bags around... so if the car is fixed and having a 16 month old is the only reason for trading in, maybe hang on a bit....

Secondly, I actually also own a TRD.... :D
Beautiful Corolla hatch, 6 speed manual transmission, bought her in 2007... only 200 of them were available in South Africa so a bit of a collectors item!!! We have " parked" her now, saving her for my eldest.... but I can promise you when my husband pulls her out, we fight over who gets to drive....

She really gets a lot of attention, and on track day there are many more interested in her than the Mustang.

Toyotas are such good cars..
Have 160000km on the car. Unfortunately had to change the gearbox at 100000km (apparently was a common problem on these). So, I guess if you do get the TRD we will need to find a TRD forum to hang out on.

Wishing you all the best from across the Atlantic.

Here is a pic of my baby lovingly polishing his future car....
View attachment 39967

And here is the TRD at a track day...
View attachment 39969

View attachment 39968
Thanks for the kind words Doc!

I think that is the key. Once my daughter is able to crawl in to the seat by herself, then all should be good. The only other part of it for me, is with my subwoofer in the back, there isn't enough room to for the jogger, and she enjoys riding on that so much while I push her on my runs. So for as much as I would like to take her to some of the parks in order to do that, I gotta keep it local.

On that same note, she also has a preference for riding in my car versus Mom's RAV4. I obviously don't 'blast' the sound system with her back there, but I know she can 'feel' the music much more than riding in Mom's. And then of course, there are the G's of being so low to the ground. I have the mirrors set up so I can see her in her seat, and everytime I get her in, buckle her up, and then start to back out with the music on, she always has the biggest smile across her face.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
102 Posts
I have been so busy, I forgot to say I have Gatornek's old passenger side catch can from Ebay. If anybody wants it just contact me, 150 includes shipping. I never took it out of the box. Still has his fingerprints on it. So far with 9860 miles I have less than 1/2 cup of collected oil from the driver's side.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts