Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
can you hold it for me for a little bit? like til morning. I am contacting Levittown ford see if he can cancel my order, I just sent the email to Levittown asking if they can cancel my order

·
Registered
59 Posts
I second this.

It's not in a bad spot; but, like gatornek mine is always bone dry. Also throws a CEL until my tuner adjusted a setting. It's currently off the car and I'm running the tune before he made the change. I also have a cobb catted "high flow" downpipe; but, didn't run into that oil blowby, at least as far as I know. I'll take a look this weekend.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I was able to cancel Levittown ford, now I’m afraid to buy a passenger side catch can. I really don’t want a CEL, but I’ve read everyone (Google) seems to get it on that side.

hard to want to gamble 150 away to possibly remove if I get cel’s

opinions? If they wasn’t so much I’d be less hesitant to try.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
a cel... I dont have a tuner. I wonder if I would get a CEL.

Gator, did you have a CEL with it?
Yes. I've had the CEL with that catchcan. Some people say it has to do with the Airaid tube connector. I don't know. This thread is about trying to diagnose my car. I'm not worried about the catchcan CEL for now.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes. I've had the CEL with that catchcan. Some people say it has to do with the Airaid tube connector. I don't know. This thread is about trying to diagnose my car. I'm not worried about the catchcan CEL for now.
I don’t see how a Cel is possible with a different tube.
Do you have oem tube still? Could toss it on with new can

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm still confused as to how you got all the oil into the hot side of your charge pipe. Is the PCV system connected to your turbo??

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'm still confused as to how you got all the oil into the hot side of your charge pipe. Is the PCV system connected to your turbo??
The passenger side PCV system (which is supposed to be used only when in boost and the driver side PCV valve shuts closed) connects into the air intake, right in front of the turbo. Theoretically, blowby would vent there, get spooled up by the turbo, and drop into the hotside pipe. How much may have gotten into my intercooler is a whole 'nother bag of worms.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The passenger side PCV system (which is supposed to be used only when in boost and the driver side PCV valve shuts closed) connects into the air intake, right in front of the turbo. Theoretically, blowby would vent there, get spooled up by the turbo, and drop into the hotside pipe. How much may have gotten into my intercooler is a whole 'nother bag of worms.
Unless you are low on oil. Can’t assume too much right?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks! This gives me a better understanding.
Question: If the driver side PCV system becomes blocked or stops working for what ever reason... Does the passenger side automatically open?? And is the passenger side also venting crankcase pressure?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks! This gives me a better understanding.
Question: If the driver side PCV system becomes blocked or stops working for what ever reason... Does the passenger side automatically open?? And is the passenger side also venting crankcase pressure?
The passenger side is always open. It's basically a straight hose. However, at idle (or even not in boost), there is a significant vacuum being drawn on the driverside PCV valve, so blowby or crankcase pressure is supposed to escape there before it makes it all the way to the top of the crankcase where the passengerside pcv outlet is. As far as I understand it, and @dgc333 might be able to explain it better, as I basically learned it from him....the passenger side pcv outlet serves two purposes. One is, YES, to vent crankcase pressure when the driverside PCV valve is closed (it closes so it doesn't let boost pressure from the throttle body back into the crankcase) and the other is to regulate crankcase pressure when the vacuum in being drawn on the driverside. It should all work as a closed system.

Can’t assume too much right?
Let me be clear, I have absolutely no certainty as to what is going on. However, good scientific analysis starts with observations, then moves into assumptions and a hypothesis. Next is testing...which is why I ordered the catchcan and also a compression tester.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Seems like it. It looks like you have some aftermarket coupler for what is probably an aftermarket CAI. But this is essentially the hose. It connects to the top of the block, in the rear, on the passengerside.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The passenger side is always open. It's basically a straight hose. However, at idle (or even not in boost), there is a significant vacuum being drawn on the driverside PCV valve, so blowby or crankcase pressure is supposed to escape there before it makes it all the way to the top of the crankcase where the passengerside pcv outlet is. As far as I understand it, and @dgc333 might be able to explain it better, as I basically learned it from him....the passenger side pcv outlet serves two purposes. One is, YES, to vent crankcase pressure when the driverside PCV valve is closed (it closes so it doesn't let boost pressure from the throttle body back into the crankcase) and the other is to regulate crankcase pressure when the vacuum in being drawn on the driverside. It should all work as a closed system.

Let me be clear, I have absolutely no certainty as to what is going on. However, good scientific analysis starts with observations, then moves into assumptions and a hypothesis. Next is testing...which is why I ordered the catchcan and also a compression tester.
I am"assuming" that it must close, using a check valve of some sort? Well, if this valve fails in the open position, then wouldn't the crankcase pressure increase under boost and be forced out of another location??

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I am"assuming" that it must close, using a check valve of some sort? Well, if this valve fails in the open position, then wouldn't the crankcase pressure increase under boost and be forced out of another location??
It has no check valve as far as I understand it. It is a straight hose and unobstructed outlet.

Thanks! Then it also has an electronic valve/switch/sensor connected to it. Do you know what it is and what it does??
No valve. That's a sensor that monitors 'airflow' through the hose. That's what trips the CEL for some of the aftermarket catchcan solutions for the passenger side pcv outlet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy installed a check valve in the out side of his oil catch can, I'm starting to understand why he did it...!??

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy installed a check valve in the out side of his oil catch can, I'm starting to understand why he did it...!??
I can't say for sure; but, I'm going to assume they put a check valve on the PCV on the passenger/intake side. That keeps the boost pressure from the turbo from making its way into the block via the pcv.

·
Registered
18PP 10R80
283 Posts
Good Luck this weekend gator if you're compression testing. Happy, successful diagnosing and hoping it's something simple and not ... cant say it - no jinx.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts