Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy a hood was wondering if anyone has a fiberglass hood from Amerihood. Also hood pins are recommended but not required. Not a fan of hood pins but for the price I would use them

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a couple questions if you have a minute. What is the object of the hood? Is the object to lower under hood temps? or a cost effective option to replace a damaged hood? This hood is more stylish or what? These are real questions, I'm just looking to learn. I don't really know anything about hoods other than at some point Ford went with an aluminum hood to save weight I guess, and that some people have problems with paint bubbling and/or corrosion due to dissimilar metals / galvanic corrosion. Is the fiberglass hood to remedy that problem? Thanks for your time!

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
I have a couple questions if you have a minute. What is the object of the hood? Is the object to lower under hood temps? or a cost effective option to replace a damaged hood? This hood is more stylish or what? These are real questions, I'm just looking to learn. I don't really know anything about hoods other than at some point Ford went with an aluminum hood to save weight I guess, and that some people have problems with paint bubbling and/or corrosion due to dissimilar metals / galvanic corrosion. Is the fiberglass hood to remedy that problem? Thanks for your time!
I can't answer any of that about this specific hood, but I can answer from my own experience.

My car got hit with not one, but two Texas hail storms. Aluminum doesn't hold up well at all to ping-pong sized hail, so the insurance adjuster put a replacement hood on the repair order. A replacement Ford Aluminum hood at the time was $1400 and at least two months wait. So, because I occasionally track my car in the Texas heat I went a different way to help fight underhood heat, as well as add additional styling. Though I also went with one of the few aftermarket body panel companies that body shop workers recommend (Cervinis or Anderson Composites).

I've never heard of Amerihood before today, but body shop guys will tell you that you get what you pay for and while there may be a cheaper alternative available, they'll then spend extra time and more of your money getting it prepped and making it fit properly than if you had gone with a more expensive option.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can't answer any of that about this specific hood, but I can answer from my own experience.

My car got hit with not one, but two Texas hail storms. Aluminum doesn't hold up well at all to ping-pong sized hail, so the insurance adjuster put a replacement hood on the repair order. A replacement Ford Aluminum hood at the time was $1400 and at least two months wait. So, because I occasionally track my car in the Texas heat I went a different way to help fight underhood heat, as well as add additional styling. Though I also went with one of the few aftermarket body panel companies that body shop workers recommend (Cervinis or Anderson Composites).

I've never heard of Amerihood before today, but body shop guys will tell you that you get what you pay for and while there may be a cheaper alternative available, they'll then spend extra time and more of your money getting it prepped and making it fit properly than if you had gone with a more expensive option.
Cool! That all makes sense. Thank you. It's just one of those things that I never thought about before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason for changing the hood is because of the paint bubbling. If I’m going to change it out might as well get one I like. As far as the brand I’ve never heard of Amerihood either found them doing a search. I haven’t found anything negative about the way they fit or the quality. I’m still researching for others who have had some experience with the brand.

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
If I’m going to change it out might as well get one I like.
As far as I'm concerned this is as good a reason as any, especially if you're dealing with other issues on the aluminum hood.

Reactions: AnOunceOfPerception

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
By the way, I checked over on M6G and there are a few reports there from people getting Amerihood products and reporting good results. It might be a good product.

Reactions: AnOunceOfPerception

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Did the fiberglass hood take some "getting used to"? Any regrets, complaints, vs aluminum?

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
Did the fiberglass hood take some "getting used to"? Any regrets, complaints, vs aluminum?
My only complaint is that it is heavier than the stock hood.

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the hood today. I can post how well it fits if anyone is interested
Absolutely! It will always help others here to have more feedback on modification parts!

Honestly it looks like a good product, so I have high hopes that fitment is good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My hood came in. The box was in pretty bad shape. Somewhere along the way someone used some black duct tape on the box . Wish I would have taking some pictures of the duct tape. But the hood looks to be in very good shape I saw no damage. It’s also made in China
Automotive design Motor vehicle Aircraft Vehicle Airplane

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Sky Wood Plant Building Font

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
side gaps look good., should come out nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My only complaint so far is I put 1/4” shims to raise the back of the hood. I have nothing to compare the quality with. This is my first fiberglass hood. But to me it seems pretty good. Hope to get it painted next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts