Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well after a lot of thinking on which tune device to pick up and what I want to do with car I decided go with a Cobb. I was debating on either a SCT or just doing a Ford Performance tune.
My wife and I have a 2020 ecoboost that now has 15k on it. I am ready to have a tune. For now I am going to run one of the Cobb OTS tunes until I decide which tuner to go with. For mods I have done the following…..
Mishimoto intercooler, S&B cai, JLT catch can, Roush cat back exhaust, ford performance lowering springs. Future mods will be AEM methanol injection.
So after a lot of forum reading between Cobb stage 1 and 2 it seems people prefer stage 1. Stage 2 dosent really make much of a difference. As for tuners I am still deciding who to go with. With this new Cobb gone green act will it hamper a custom tune compared to before? It seems to just affect downpipes, which I don’t plan on running.
It you want a good tune, not sure what part of the States that you're in, National Speed Inc, these guys Specialize in Ecoboost Cars and Trucks. I have a 2022 Ford Explorer ST I got the Whipple Mega Cooler, and a Tune by Hyper Tune, I got 443 HP at the Rear Wheel and 497 lbs per torque, my next move is to get Down Pipes and a Air and Oil Separator, with another Tune.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I went ahead and swapped out the plugs again. This time I went with NGK 90495 Ruthenium oe heat range. They were all pretty close .028 gap right out of the box. The ignition corrections are a lot better. I didn’t take a pic but there were none and the basically -1 to -2 on cylinders 3 and 4.

·
Registered
844 Posts
No real experience with different plugs and ignition correction results from them so cannot offer any real advice. I know a zero reading for negative corrections is good but not sure how far negative is still acceptable.

If KOM is staying at +1 you should be within acceptable ranges for correction AFIK.

BD

·
Registered
844 Posts
Update to FP configure issue I am having with my FP tune. I was contacted by the FP tech rep today (shocked) about my issue via email. He asked for me to call him which I did, and he stated that my issue was being escalated to upper engineering dept. He asked for my VIN and more details on the issues I am experiencing on order to resolve my issues.

I will not get into all the conversation at this point till I get it fully resolved but will provide updates as they are encountered.

I will say I am now more at ease that my issue is not falling on deaf ears and there is something actually happening towards fixing the issues I am experiencing with my FP tune.

I will say there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

BD

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,274 Posts
Ok so I went ahead changed the plugs to NGK 6510 .028 gap. Here are the Cobb readings. Not sure if the Ignition corrections are better or worse than before?
Zero negative corrections is ideal and what you want to see.

These car operate right on the edge of knock. Retarded / negative coreecrions / timing will be seen from time to time when you "get on it"

Normal every day cruising around shouldn't really see any. This is however a canned tune a generic one size fits all. Not all engines are made equal. What might be good for one might not be so good for the other.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok,

after much researching and reading every possible post I could find on the subject, I have purchased the tune. Going with PD tuning. Just waiting to hear back. Can’t wait to get data logging.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, installed stage 1 yesterday. Here is a pic from today. Not sure if these readings look good or not??
Solid numbers. If I were you I'd give stage 2 a try. Last time I actually did a pull (has been 2-3 months) with the accessport connected I saw around 327hp-329hp.
I have similar mods : CVF intercooler, Roush CAI, AEM drop-in Filter, NGK spark plugs. I'll be a getting a CVF DP/custom tune and calling it as I'm sure I'd be satisfied with the gains for my daily driver. I do have the performance pack which comes with a larger radiator, so lower charge temps...? Does anyone have more knowledge on this, does the PP larger radiator really make a difference?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently purchased the COBB tuner for my '18 PP 6spd. I have a larger aftermarket intercooler installed as well. The Stage 1 tune may have added a bit of "punchiness" to the midrange, but that was about it. It actually seemed to lose a bit of power above 5K vs the stock tune. I use the car for some HPDE as well. On track, the Stage 1 tune never produced more than 20 psi boost, vs the stock tune's 22 psi. Stage 2 was a different story. Much more power on the top end and approx 25 psi of boost. My take...unless you plan to upgrade the intercooler and run Stage 2, don't bother with a COBB. But if you do Stage 2, you should be happy with the results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I recently purchased the COBB tuner for my '18 PP 6spd. I have a larger aftermarket intercooler installed as well. The Stage 1 tune may have added a bit of "punchiness" to the midrange, but that was about it. It actually seemed to lose a bit of power above 5K vs the stock tune. I use the car for some HPDE as well. On track, the Stage 1 tune never produced more than 20 psi boost, vs the stock tune's 22 psi. Stage 2 was a different story. Much more power on the top end and approx 25 psi of boost. My take...unless you plan to upgrade the intercooler and run Stage 2, don't bother with a COBB. But if you do Stage 2, you should be happy with the results.
I am currently in the process of being tuned by PD Tuning. I am waiting on the 3rd revision. When I was on the Cobb Stage 1 tune I saw 25 psi boost.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts