Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Any idea what this noise is?

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Dubcsmith 
#1 ·
I've been experiencing a squeaking sound coming from my rear suspension every time I drive at low speeds. Ford swears they can't hear it, and I finally got it on video today. Can you listen and see if you have any idea what it could be? You can hear it if you listen close around the 2 second and 7 second mark. Couldn't upload it directly to the post so here's a link to it on google drive.

20200428_122834_2.mp4

#2 ·
I've been experiencing a squeaking sound coming from my rear suspension every time I drive at low speeds. Ford swears they can't hear it, and I finally got it on video today. Can you listen and see if you have any idea what it could be? You can hear it if you listen close around the 2 second and 7 second mark. Couldn't upload it directly to the post so here's a link to it on google drive.

20200428_122834_2.mp4
I could not hear anything significant in your video. However, on my Mustang I have had a weird kinda rattle/squeak sound that I can hear at low speeds if I hit a bump, or make a turn. I am 90% sure it is my read license plat rattling....I am trying to figure out how to better secure it so I can eliminate that possibility.

#4 ·
If youre hearing ticks from the rear its more than likely the wheel bearing or the cv joint going. Have replaced both rear wheel bearings and one cv axle after the joint started to click on me. Would only do it at low speeds like youre describing. Both are a common point of premature wear/failure on the s550.

#7 ·
I had a light tick I would only hear when accelerating from a stop next to a wall/building/in traffic next to the divider. It would happen in reverse too. I thought it was something in the suspension when it was loading/unloading; but, it ended up being the axle nut. There is a new part number for that 36mm (iirc) nut that holds the rear axle in the bearing. I ordered both nuts and replaced them. From memory the torque procedure was something like, torque to 125, then 150, then finally 175 lb/ft and then an 1/8 turn. There is a form post out there somewhere on this. After I did that the ticking was gone.

CCPZ-3B477-G is the axle nut, I did both sides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.