1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My 17 has a C&L cold air intake, Ford Performance tune upgrade, and Magna flow cat back system. Is this Turbo upgrade worthwhile?

That's the same turbo as the one from the HPP EcoBoost. Should be good for some mild gains. I was gonna do that one until I struck a deal on an NX2 kit I couldn't pass on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, especially in the power curve but it will require a custom tune. Its sad. FP should sell the turbo together with a tune as a package. I would imagine sells would increase a bit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope will need a custom tune as the FP tune isn't calibrated for the difference of the turbo from the stock one.

·
Registered
2018 Base Ecoboost, Stock/Factory Tune, M/T Tires
201 Posts
It is a nice kit, with or without the cam shafts and I like the warranty! Have you considered going with a non-ford tune?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've always wanted to know what the increase in size of the turbo inlet was. I have never found a spec on the 'old' turbo inlet size. This one says it increases to 63 mm. I've c
That's the same turbo as the one from the HPP EcoBoost. Should be good for some mild gains. I was gonna do that one until I struck a deal on an NX2 kit I couldn't pass on.
Does your roommate still have it? Would love to know the A/R figure that should be inscribed on the housing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've always wanted to know what the increase in size of the turbo inlet was. I have never found a spec on the 'old' turbo inlet size. This one says it increases to 63 mm. I've c

Does your roommate still have it? Would love to know the A/R figure that should be inscribed on the housing.
From the description on the FP turbo

High-Quality Enhancements. This Ford Performance High-Performance Turbocharger comes with a 50 mm wheel turbine wheel. It also features an increased compressor wheel to 63 mm from the factory 60 mm. Moreover, the compressor housing volute is enlarged for enhanced volumetric efficiency for exceptional power gains.

Seems 60mm so a 3mm increase

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

He still has it. Still on the factory setup since he doesn't want to loose the factory warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2 Years of warranty left, that I don't want to have some hassle if say, a wheel bearing goes out and ford says, your ecm isn't stock!
Day I turned 60k miles I went from Ford Performance to Cobb Stage 3 knowing the warranty was gone. Its an increase in power but I wouldn't lose my warranty over it FP tune was still pretty fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
From the description on the FP turbo

High-Quality Enhancements. This Ford Performance High-Performance Turbocharger comes with a 50 mm wheel turbine wheel. It also features an increased compressor wheel to 63 mm from the factory 60 mm. Moreover, the compressor housing volute is enlarged for enhanced volumetric efficiency for exceptional power gains.

Seems 60mm so a 3mm increase
They say the 'volute' is larger so I'd be more interested in knowing what the 'area over radius' number is.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He still has it. Still on the factory setup since he doesn't want to loose the factory warranty.
When you have a second, could you look at or take a picture of the housing. The A/R for both compressor and turbine should be inscribed on the each side of the cast. No worries if you can't.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Day I turned 60k miles I went from Ford Performance to Cobb Stage 3 knowing the warranty was gone. Its an increase in power but I wouldn't lose my warranty over it FP tune was still pretty fun to drive.
Do you have any data on before&after 0-60's going from FP to Cobb Stage 3?

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
34 Posts

I remember coming across this a while back

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
In a convertible on 93 octane my best on FP was 6.4 seconds using the track app to record it on Cobb Stage 3 91 octane tune I got down to 5.8. I also went from the stock downpipe to a cat less one for Cobb Stage 3.
I keep seeing such high 0-60s. Even after a tune. I have yet to do a pull after my FP but when i did stock i got a 5.7 using track apps with a mt82 with stock pirelli Pzeros. I was spinning 1-2 and catch 3rd. Otherwise im sure it would have been lower.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I keep seeing such high 0-60s. Even after a tune. I have yet to do a pull after my FP but when i did stock i got a 5.7 using track apps with a mt82 with stock pirelli Pzeros. I was spinning 1-2 and catch 3rd. Otherwise im sure it would have been lower.
The convertible adds around 0.7 seconds from what I have seen I imagine in a hardtop I would be in the low 5 second range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts