Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently interested in the MBRP Race exhaust for my EB, I know that this exhaust have 17 HP gain, not sure about torque gain.
I recently found that the Gibson cat-back will gain 30 HP and 40 ft-lbs torque, is this true? Is this without tune?
upload_2018-5-10_8-50-49.png

And for sound and loudness, I feel like MBRP Race sound much better and deeper, but there aren't many clip on the Gibson.
How loud is the Gibson? (compare to MBRP race)
What are the tone? (deeper? raspy?...)
Does it drone?
Does it give 30 HP and 40 torque gain as advertise?

Thanks,

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello,

I am currently interested in the MBRP Race exhaust for my EB, I know that this exhaust have 17 HP gain, not sure about torque gain.
I recently found that the Gibson cat-back will gain 30 HP and 40 ft-lbs torque, is this true? Is this without tune?
View attachment 21561
And for sound and loudness, I feel like MBRP Race sound much better and deeper, but there aren't many clip on the Gibson.
How loud is the Gibson? (compare to MBRP race)
What are the tone? (deeper? raspy?...)
Does it drone?
Does it give 30 HP and 40 torque gain as advertise?

Thanks,

·
Registered
273 Posts
LOL! we all wish that a replacement exhaust system would yield 30hp but a more realistic total would be more in the range of 15 hp, and several dyno sessions on different systems showed a lot less than that. You need more changes than the exhaust to realize seat of the pants horsepower. But an ac system and tune will bring it to life!

·
Registered
273 Posts
And I loved the only real life Gibson exhaust that I heard, it even sounds more powerful than my Magnaflow! If I had another $900.00 I'd replace mine with the Gibson just for the sound, at near 72 and 5 back fusions, the speed isn't necessarily the best part.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Food for Thought...

Will I Gain More Horsepower With An Exhaust System?
After-market exhaust systems are almost always less restrictive than factory exhaust systems. However, that doesn’t mean that adding an after-market exhaust will always result in more power. Depending upon your vehicle and the system you choose, an after-market exhaust can add as much as 50 horsepower or as little as 2 or 3 horsepower. Here’s how you can figure out what to expect:

Don’t Focus On Horsepower Only

Horsepower is calculated by multiplying torque by RPM. Therefore, if a new exhaust system adds just 10 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 RPM, that will result in a horsepower increase of 9.5 hp. While that might sound like a solid horsepower gain, an extra 10 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 RPM usually doesn’t do you a whole lot of good in day-to-day driving. After all, how many of us run our engines at 5,000 RPM on a constant basis?

Throw Exhaust System Manufacturer Estimates Out the Window
Because horsepower is a function of RPM, it’s very easy to show big horsepower gains on paper. Diesel trucks are a great example – because they generate gobs of torque anyways, adding an extra 35 lb-ft of torque at 3,300 RPM results in a gain of 23hp. This number may seem impressive, but an extra 35 lb-ft of torque at 3,300 RPM isn’t that useful to your typical diesel truck owner. It’s a good increase to be sure, but it’s not usable power.

The other reason that you shouldn’t put a lot of stock in manufacturer estimates is that dyno results are fairly easy to manipulate. When a vehicle is tested on a dyno, there can be significant variations from test to test without any change to the engine. If a manufacturer takes their worst run from their “before” tests and their best from “after” tests, they can show a really big gain that’s mostly due to normal variations between runs.

In other words, exhaust system performance estimates are always very generous. If the kit from Flowmaster supposedly adds 8 hp and the kit from Magnaflow supposedly adds 13 hp (or vice versa), chances are good that both perform pretty close to the same.

The Most You Can Gain is 2-5%
If you want to know how much power you can expect to gain from adding an exhaust system to your car, assume that your engine will get 2-5% more powerful. More specifically, large engines like a big 6.0L V8 typically see about a 2%-3% horsepower increase. Smaller engines, like a 1.8L 4-cylinder, typically see a 3-5% horsepower increase.

HOWEVER, exhaust systems have a multiplying effect if you combine them with other add-ons. The exhaust system by itself won’t add a lot of power, but combined with an air intake and a performance chip or power programmer you could see a significant increase in performance. You’ll also see a slight increase in fuel economy (assuming you keep your foot out of it, of course).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I loved the only real life Gibson exhaust that I heard, it even sounds more powerful than my Magnaflow! If I had another $900.00 I'd replace mine with the Gibson just for the sound, at near 72 and 5 back fusions, the speed isn't necessarily the best part.
what Magnaflow exhaust do you have?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Food for Thought...

Will I Gain More Horsepower With An Exhaust System?
After-market exhaust systems are almost always less restrictive than factory exhaust systems. However, that doesn’t mean that adding an after-market exhaust will always result in more power. Depending upon your vehicle and the system you choose, an after-market exhaust can add as much as 50 horsepower or as little as 2 or 3 horsepower. Here’s how you can figure out what to expect:

Don’t Focus On Horsepower Only

Horsepower is calculated by multiplying torque by RPM. Therefore, if a new exhaust system adds just 10 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 RPM, that will result in a horsepower increase of 9.5 hp. While that might sound like a solid horsepower gain, an extra 10 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 RPM usually doesn’t do you a whole lot of good in day-to-day driving. After all, how many of us run our engines at 5,000 RPM on a constant basis?

Throw Exhaust System Manufacturer Estimates Out the Window
Because horsepower is a function of RPM, it’s very easy to show big horsepower gains on paper. Diesel trucks are a great example – because they generate gobs of torque anyways, adding an extra 35 lb-ft of torque at 3,300 RPM results in a gain of 23hp. This number may seem impressive, but an extra 35 lb-ft of torque at 3,300 RPM isn’t that useful to your typical diesel truck owner. It’s a good increase to be sure, but it’s not usable power.

The other reason that you shouldn’t put a lot of stock in manufacturer estimates is that dyno results are fairly easy to manipulate. When a vehicle is tested on a dyno, there can be significant variations from test to test without any change to the engine. If a manufacturer takes their worst run from their “before” tests and their best from “after” tests, they can show a really big gain that’s mostly due to normal variations between runs.

In other words, exhaust system performance estimates are always very generous. If the kit from Flowmaster supposedly adds 8 hp and the kit from Magnaflow supposedly adds 13 hp (or vice versa), chances are good that both perform pretty close to the same.

The Most You Can Gain is 2-5%
If you want to know how much power you can expect to gain from adding an exhaust system to your car, assume that your engine will get 2-5% more powerful. More specifically, large engines like a big 6.0L V8 typically see about a 2%-3% horsepower increase. Smaller engines, like a 1.8L 4-cylinder, typically see a 3-5% horsepower increase.

HOWEVER, exhaust systems have a multiplying effect if you combine them with other add-ons. The exhaust system by itself won’t add a lot of power, but combined with an air intake and a performance chip or power programmer you could see a significant increase in performance. You’ll also see a slight increase in fuel economy (assuming you keep your foot out of it, of course).
Yeah I read this article a while ago too, that why I was like "hmmm 40 hp gain with exhaust itself, too good to be true"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! we all wish that a replacement exhaust system would yield 30hp but a more realistic total would be more in the range of 15 hp, and several dyno sessions on different systems showed a lot less than that. You need more changes than the exhaust to realize seat of the pants horsepower. But an ac system and tune will bring it to life!
Yeah that why when I see 40 hp gain, I know its too good to be true haha

·
Super Moderator
3,067 Posts
I have the Gibson exhaust...

I don't know about power gains, but it does flow much better than stock, and I like the sound. It was a direct bolt on. Took me about an hour on a lift to get the stock stuff out and the Gibson bolted up. I did have a couple of fitment issues. The driver's side pipe is longer than the passenger side on mine for some reason where they should be even. It's not so much to be noticeable now that it's installed, but made for some interesting acrobatics in getting it in place.

I didn't record a sitting exhaust clip, but I did put a mic on the back of my car for an autocross run, so you can hear the sound from this:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Gibson exhaust...

I don't know about power gains, but it does flow much better than stock, and I like the sound. It was a direct bolt on. Took me about an hour on a lift to get the stock stuff out and the Gibson bolted up. I did have a couple of fitment issues. The driver's side pipe is longer than the passenger side on mine for some reason where they should be even. It's not so much to be noticeable now that it's installed, but made for some interesting acrobatics in getting it in place.

I didn't record a sitting exhaust clip, but I did put a mic on the back of my car for an autocross run, so you can hear the sound from this:

Sound nice but the clip volume is kinda low, might want to do a rev clip for better sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
3,067 Posts
I've heard the Moxman exhaust in person, and the tone is really similar to the Gibson. If I hadn't picked up the Gibson when I did, I would have gone that route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts