Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems in Atlanta 99% of them are rentals from Florida. All have around 25000 miles and all cost around $25000.
Other then checking carfax and looking for body damage anything to look out for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my 2018 Eco Premium convertible two years ago. It was a rental from Arizona with 20,xxx miles. It had a couple of scratches in the paint, that I had my body shop fix. The runs and looks great. It came with balance of factory warranty, which runs until April 2021, and was a Ford Certified Used Car, so has another three years after that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought my 2016 convertible at 55K as a rental no issues so far as I approach 75K miles. Price was too good to pass up at $15k I can put a new turbo and built engine in it for less than a new base ecoboost if the worst ever happens.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's my thought..For a $15K savings I could have it repainted..
Plus I fiqure with 18K left on the warrenty Ford should fix any major engine or Tranny issues. Waiting on insurance company to decide what theyw ant to do with my older car, total it or fix it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems in Atlanta 99% of them are rentals from Florida. All have around 25000 miles and all cost around $25000.
Other then checking carfax and looking for body damage anything to look out for?
If it’s within the original 3/36 warranty period I’d imagine you could purchase the Ford extended warranty from an online seller (at a discount) and have additional peace of mind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a GT convertible for about 5K more and still not sure which one.. Probably drive both
I had a fast 69 Mustang with a 427 and 428CJ heads that ran a 13.10 with a single traction rear end. And now seeing stock GT's run low 12's blows my mind :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible in November of 2018 from CarMax of Gilbert, Arizona. This is - BY FAR - the very BEST car I’ve ever owned and driven!!!

I’ve had literally ZERO PROBLEMS with this car - and the power it has is AWESOME !!!

It’s pretty much stock - Ford Ingot Silver with the Black convertible top & Black leather seats. LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!!

My ‘Stang was a rental car in Hawaii and has no damage or mechanical problems - bought it with 34,000 miles on it and currently I have 46,000 miles - which means in a little over two years I’ve put 12,000 miles on it. Just got new tires and wheels from Discount Tire that look awesome on it ILO the stock set up.

I am VERY HAPPY - No - EXTREMELY HAPPY with my ‘Stang !!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lol perfect timing. Should be buying a convertible for my girlfriend today that was a hawaii rental.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
If you get a car ('vert) from a reputable dealer, they should put some sort of short term warranty or offer an extended warranty. I have bought several prior rentals and had no problems with any of them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you get a car ('vert) from a reputable dealer, they should put some sort of short term warranty or offer an extended warranty. I have bought several prior rentals and had no problems with any of them.
Yes - and if it’s still covered by the manufactures 3/36 warranty, you should be able to purchase Ford’s own extended warranty from a reputable online dealer.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Yes - and if it’s still covered by the manufactures 3/36 warranty, you should be able to purchase Ford’s own extended warranty from a reputable online dealer.
There ya go!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Picked up a Certified Pre-owned 2019 race red 10 spd premium w/enhanced security convertible with 23k miles for under $23k on Saturday. Window sticker was $39k in late 2018. When I was shopping online Saturday, I was laughing at the fact that every single used convertible I came across was a rental from Hawaii. Sales manager said since tourism in Hawaii is down significantly due to COVID, a lot of the rental companies are selling off a lot of their stock. The powertrain being covered for the next 5 years or 100k miles is worth the extra couple grand compared to lower mileage examples we saw that weren't certified. Now if we can just find some reasonable insurance for her...AAA wanted $2,800/yr...LOL. That's significantly more than I pay them annually for all 3 of my cars combined.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible in November of 2018 from CarMax of Gilbert, Arizona. This is - BY FAR - the very BEST car I’ve ever owned and driven!!!

I’ve had literally ZERO PROBLEMS with this car - and the power it has is AWESOME !!!

It’s pretty much stock - Ford Ingot Silver with the Black convertible top & Black leather seats. LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!!

My ‘Stang was a rental car in Hawaii and has no damage or mechanical problems - bought it with 34,000 miles on it and currently I have 46,000 miles - which means in a little over two years I’ve put 12,000 miles on it. Just got new tires and wheels from Discount Tire that look awesome on it ILO the stock set up.

I am VERY HAPPY - No - EXTREMELY HAPPY with my ‘Stang !!!!
I bought a used 2017 convertible that came from a Florida rental car agency and once I saw it under the lights in the shop, I could see all the paint work that had been done. Took it back to the dealer and bought a new 2017.

Keep in mind, CarFax can only report what is reported to them. Rental car companies can have work done by a body shop that doesn’t report to CarFax.

As for best car ever owned, I’m all in on that. The seats are awesome. I can drive 12 hours and not be saddle soar. And I’ve been working on high line cars for 30 years, with 20 years Ford, Datsun and Nissan before that. Worked on a lot of 60’s and 70’s Mustangs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought a used 2017 convertible that came from a Florida rental car agency and once I saw it under the lights in the shop, I could see all the paint work that had been done. Took it back to the dealer and bought a new 2017.

Keep in mind, CarFax can only report what is reported to them. Rental car companies can have work done by a body shop that doesn’t report to CarFax.

As for best car ever owned, I’m all in on that. The seats are awesome. I can drive 12 hours and not be saddle soar. And I’ve been working on high line cars for 30 years, with 20 years Ford, Datsun and Nissan before that. Worked on a lot of 60’s and 70’s Mustangs.
You actually bought the car then took it back to trade in for a new one? Was the paint work really that bad? That sounds like quite an expensive endeavor for some cosmetic deficiencies, no?

The 2019 we just bought has a little bit more wear than I'd expect of a 1.5 year old car and it looks like they've been washing the car with a brillo pad, but for nearly half the price of the window sticker and a better warranty, I'm more than happy to spend a few hours in the garage doing some paint correction haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
just keep in mind that the rental company had to keep ti clean and running great for any new customers. Better than the normal owner. Mine was certified with 27k, warranty remained and ultra clean. Could not have made a better choice. This is the third used rental i have bought over the past 20 years and will keep doing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You actually bought the car then took it back to trade in for a new one? Was the paint work really that bad? That sounds like quite an expensive endeavor for some cosmetic deficiencies, no?

The 2019 we just bought has a little bit more wear than I'd expect of a 1.5 year old car and it looks like they've been washing the car with a brillo pad, but for nearly half the price of the window sticker and a better warranty, I'm more than happy to spend a few hours in the garage doing some paint correction haha
The car was horrible in multiple areas. I took it back the next day and they thought about it for a day, then agreed to unwinding the deal and selling me a new one. Since they already sold the Durango I traded in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol perfect timing. Should be buying a convertible for my girlfriend today that was a hawaii rental.
I will never forget riding around in Hawaii in a mustang convertible listening to Christmas music in 80 degree weather 😀. That was probably around 15 years ago

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only thing I found wrong with the car is the tires aren't all the same brand. Friend said thats common with rentals they only do what they have to to sell it

·
Registered
163 Posts
The one we just bought has a brand new set of no-name tires on it. I would usually frown at that, but it's not my car, so they'll do just fine lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts