Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Punchy

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never used the CD player in my Mustang.

Reactions: Punchy

·
Registered
72 Posts
I contacted the company about this unit and asked about boot time. Takes about 30 secs to start up each time which to me is a bit annoying. Guess I'm spoiled by the 8" screen in my 16 Escape which is about 10 secs or so and starts the moment you open the door so it's almost instantaneous. Guess I'll have to do some more research before I swap head units.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Extremely interested in this...any more updates or other members upgrade their radio yet? My only concern is the installation shop not understanding the mustang system. AND it seems like I would need to buy a new backup camera to work with the new system according to the comments. If I can get past those two issues I'd likely buy from here:

10.2 Inch Android 6.0 Radio For 2015 2016 Ford Mustang with 3G WiFi Bluetooth GPS Navigation system Capacitive Touch Screen TPMS DVR OBD II Rear camera AUX Headrest Monitor Control USB SD Video

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was going to get the 10.2" unit like you posted, by there is a delay in the systems. One forum thread was stating an issue for the companies to get the bezels which may or may nott be the issue for the delay where I ordered. They offered to upgrade me to the 10.4" Tesla style for free so after talking to someone about it, I agreed to do it.

The issues with the 10.2" is you have to remove the volume and tuning knobs by desoldering them from the board, or as one guy did... cutting them off. You will have to do this since they use the original board from the stock system to control the hearing and air system.

I decided to use the 10.4" since it completely replaced the stock system. You remove the front bezel with all the buttons, the 4" screen, the CD player and the black box behind the screen. With the one I received (some are different), I only had to connect all the harnesses (lots of them) and transfer the mounting brackets from the CD player to the new brain. After plugging in all the connections and mounting the new brain, swap the cig lighter adapter over and plug in the 4 remaining connections.

Backup camera works fine, built in mic works, no sync voice control but that's all of these systems. You have to download a navigation app or use google maps either with a mobile hotspot or sharing data from your phone. I'm testing out an offline map app right now that works pretty well. The included media app is hard to navigate, but if you use an aftermarket one, you have to stop the music playing before switching or the system will try to play multiple sources lol.

Everything works very well but I had to make some corrections (switch from celcius to fehrenheit, change the time zone and turn off auto tune/time zone, switch to a time zone ahead due to daylight savings time and then some preference adjustments)

I'm happy for the most part but there have been some glitches but nothing major. It just takes some getting used to.

Here are a couple photos of the unit.

IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2217.JPG

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was going to get the 10.2" unit like you posted, by there is a delay in the systems. One forum thread was stating an issue for the companies to get the bezels which may or may nott be the issue for the delay where I ordered. They offered to upgrade me to the 10.4" Tesla style for free so after talking to someone about it, I agreed to do it.

The issues with the 10.2" is you have to remove the volume and tuning knobs by desoldering them from the board, or as one guy did... cutting them off. You will have to do this since they use the original board from the stock system to control the hearing and air system.

I decided to use the 10.4" since it completely replaced the stock system. You remove the front bezel with all the buttons, the 4" screen, the CD player and the black box behind the screen. With the one I received (some are different), I only had to connect all the harnesses (lots of them) and transfer the mounting brackets from the CD player to the new brain. After plugging in all the connections and mounting the new brain, swap the cig lighter adapter over and plug in the 4 remaining connections.

Backup camera works fine, built in mic works, no sync voice control but that's all of these systems. You have to download a navigation app or use google maps either with a mobile hotspot or sharing data from your phone. I'm testing out an offline map app right now that works pretty well. The included media app is hard to navigate, but if you use an aftermarket one, you have to stop the music playing before switching or the system will try to play multiple sources lol.

Everything works very well but I had to make some corrections (switch from celcius to fehrenheit, change the time zone and turn off auto tune/time zone, switch to a time zone ahead due to daylight savings time and then some preference adjustments)

I'm happy for the most part but there have been some glitches but nothing major. It just takes some getting used to.

Here are a couple photos of the unit.

View attachment 13169 View attachment 13177
Interesting...I originally wanted that style but decided against it because of the lack of manual air-conditioning controls.

If you have any video of it operating id love to see it. I know there are some out there already but I'd feel better seeing yours. Maybe you can put it on YouTube and post the link for us.

A few questions:
are any of the glitches operational failures or app crashes/freezing

Did it work with your existing backup camera? I think the 10.2 I'm looking at says I have to purchase one of theirs

Can you post the link to where you bought it?

Do you have a way of posting the installation instructions?

Is it annoying not having manual AC controls?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is the video made by the guy that helped me... I don't post videos.

The AC quick button and on/off are fine for while it's booting up to get the air going or stopping it from blowing in your face lol

The glitches were an aftermarket app not working correctly but you can stop an app and restart it (that only happened once so far) and you sometimes get an error of some app failed to start when starting the radio up, read online one was the recycling folder in the file manager, so I disabled that and there have only been a few times it's done that. Even after disabling imthe recycling folder, but it doesn't effect anything. None of the glitches kept anything from working, just a random error and you tap ok and it's gone. The app that didn't work correctly just didn't want to scroll but worked otherwise.

Factory backup camera works.

The instructions on install aren't available due to the fact that there are multiple systems being sold and some of the wiring is different. All the connections are obvious except a couple which are the backup camera rca connection (there are two and you will have to flip a coin lol) and the wires that connect for the CANBUS to display the rpm, speed and doors open. They don't have the same colors on mine but they were the only combination that fit and after testing, it worked.

AC/Heating controls take a couple days to get used to not reaching over and adjusting but with this, you will get Auto feature which makes it easy to set and forget. It will then adjust the blower speed to keep the car at a set temperature. It works pretty well.

This is where I purchased it and this link will give you 5% off and help the guy that helped me.

10.4" Tesla-style Vertical Screen Android Navigation Radio for Ford Mustang 2015 2016 2017

Disclaimer!!!

There have been issues with people with premium systems having issues with this radio. Base work fine but some with premium had issues with sound. They state they have it fixed but be prepared if it doesn't. Honestly though, I wouldn't have purchased a radio if I had the premium though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well if you install a Japanese/Chinese app they probably are lol

Google maps comes with it but requires data or offline maps but they only save a 25 mile radius.

I'm currently using Navmii with offline maps. You download the states you want.

IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2247.JPG IMG_2249.JPG IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2253.JPG

Phone is catching more glare than you really see. Brightness is all the way up and is easy to see most of the time during the day, glare can be an issue at times but is rare in my case at least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently bought this replacement and have it in hands now. About to get ready to install it. I’ll show and go through functions once I have it set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Phoenix Android Radios - Competitive Price Superior Service

It looks pretty good, but I haven't seen any reviews or met anyone with one yet. Always planning on the upgrades...
It's junk!! Don't waist your time or money. I've had so many issues. I had to swap out the first unit due to staying on problems. Now the unit I have now the screen is scrambled. Meaning I can't see anything on it. Kinda reminds me of the old school cable TV boxes on a channel you didn't pay for. The screen is plastic so your fingers scratch it up. I had the base model stereo and honestly would rather have it than unit I have now

·
Registered
943 Posts
saw a car recently with one of these style head units, can confirm it was junk. he tried showing it off, and it was lagging/freezing/bugging up, claimed his phone was just hot.

sync 3 or bust. imo

1 - 20 of 29 Posts