Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reliable shop that knows these cars, was planning to get a tune and tuner recommended I get a walnut blasting done due to my mileage, I'm located in Socal and tried searching far and wide lol, seems like most of walnut blasting services are for bmw, even called them up and asked if they can do the service for my car but they can't (go figure)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I plan on blasting probably around the 70-80K mark. Still haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself (from my research, it seems VERY straightforward as long as you have the CORRECT tools), or have someone with experience do it for me. I guess it depends on the price quote. If I can get it done for under 3 bills, I'll probably choose to have someone else do it. I'm in Florida, so I can't really give you a recommendation, other than to help you search if you tell me where in SoCal you're at (OC, San Diego, LA, San Bernadino?). But for sure, the majority of the search returns are going to be Beamer shops, since they've been doing it for a long time. The reason why they are probably telling you they 'can't' do it, because they don't have the right adapter. You need an adapter that fits into the intake valve ports with a good seal. I've been able to find these on ebay.
Ford Ecoboost 2.3L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay
You're going to have to call around, and see who might be willing. If you pick up the adapter, it might make it easier for them to agree to it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I plan on blasting probably around the 70-80K mark. Still haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself (from my research, it seems VERY straightforward as long as you have the CORRECT tools), or have someone with experience do it for me. I guess it depends on the price quote. If I can get it done for under 3 bills, I'll probably choose to have someone else do it. I'm in Florida, so I can't really give you a recommendation, other than to help you search if you tell me where in SoCal you're at (OC, San Diego, LA, San Bernadino?). But for sure, the majority of the search returns are going to be Beamer shops, since they've been doing it for a long time. The reason why they are probably telling you they 'can't' do it, because they don't have the right adapter. You need an adapter that fits into the intake valve ports with a good seal. I've been able to find these on ebay.
Ford Ecoboost 2.3L intake valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blasting Adapter | eBay
You're going to have to call around, and see who might be willing. If you pick up the adapter, it might make it easier for them to agree to it. Hope this helps.
Did someone not from CA just mention San Bernardino? I'm speechless! How do you even know what/where San Bernardino is? lol

I'm in SoCal/ IE/ San Bdno area. I'm not aware of any Eco specific tuners around here, or anywhere in SoCal for that matter. Most of the shops/tuners around SoCal work on "bigger and better" stuff. I would recommend getting a remote tune from one of the few reputable Eco tuners in the country (Tune+, PD Tuning, etc) vs taking it to an otherwise reputable local tuner that doesn't do too many Ecos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did someone not from CA just mention San Bernardino? I'm speechless! How do you even know what/where San Bernardino is? lol

I'm in SoCal/ IE/ San Bdno area. I'm not aware of any Eco specific tuners around here, or anywhere in SoCal for that matter. Most of the shops/tuners around SoCal work on "bigger and better" stuff. I would recommend getting a remote tune from one of the few reputable Eco tuners in the country (Tune+, PD Tuning, etc) vs taking it to an otherwise reputable local tuner that doesn't do too many Ecos.
Yep I wanted to get a tune from tune+
but I was recommended I get a walnut blast first due to 130k miles, asked around can’t find anyone hahah.. just bmw

·
Registered
342 Posts
Putting a tune on with 130k miles, you're a brave man lol. I'm gunshy in general on these motors since I just ended up with a new block from a blown headgasket and it seems/seemed to be a fairly common issue. Sorry I can't help you on walnut blasting, but try calling Pappini's Garage in Temecula or GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga to see if they can refer you to a shop that does it. They both specialize in late model Mustangs.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

I was stationed in 29 Palms and Camp Pendleton, CA (Oceanside) for a combined 4 years. And I still have buddies over there, so I probably have visited SoCal an average of once a year over the last 10-15 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Putting a tune on with 130k miles, you're a brave man lol. I'm gunshy in general on these motors since I just ended up with a new block from a blown headgasket and it seems/seemed to be a fairly common issue. Sorry I can't help you on walnut blasting, but try calling Pappini's Garage in Temecula or GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga to see if they can refer you to a shop that does it. They both specialize in late model Mustangs.
To be fair, it might just be an excuse to get a new built one at some point. I don’t see myself keeping this car for reliability for too long, maybe turn it into a project. Plus even the Ford performance tune is safe to use right? Pretty mild tune, I’m not thrashing on this car that much tbh, maybe when I need to pick up speed when over taking or getting on the freeway, and better shift points. The better shifting alone makes me want a tune.. I have an automatic, and it feels terrible on this car

·
Registered
342 Posts
Even stock motors have had issues, but from what I've gathered, the more you mod the motor, the greater the chances of a blown head gasket or cracked block eventually. Your chances of being fine are probably pretty good, but after personally going through it and reading a good amount of past threads about it, I'm not interested in modding this motor beyond the Ford tune that's already on it. I'm hesitant to get into boost below 3k rpm lol. It's just my daily driver and it's not going to be fast regardless, so not worth risking it for me personally. If you're comfortable with the possibility of having to replace the block with a 2.0 unit and a stronger head gasket, you're plenty fine to dig into modding from what I've gathered.

I'm assuming you have the 6 speed auto, not the 10 speed, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even stock motors have had issues, but from what I've gathered, the more you mod the motor, the greater the chances of a blown head gasket or cracked block eventually. Your chances of being fine are probably pretty good, but after personally going through it and reading a good amount of past threads about it, I'm not interested in modding this motor beyond the Ford tune that's already on it. I'm hesitant to get into boost below 3k rpm lol. It's just my daily driver and it's not going to be fast regardless, so not worth risking it for me personally. If you're comfortable with the possibility of having to replace the block with a 2.0 unit and a stronger head gasket, you're plenty fine to dig into modding from what I've gathered.

I'm assuming you have the 6 speed auto, not the 10 speed, right?
Yes, 6 speed auto. Family member upgraded her car and sold it to me at 100k for only 5k. Pristine condition and she drives like a grandma lol. I have a 370z as well that's a manual but it's a bit of a pain to drive to work with since it's on a 6 puck, but my god the 6 speed auto on this car feels like it pulls you into every gear after a good delay. That's really the main reason I really want a tune tbh... I wonder if they can do some sort of stock tune (make it more efficient maybe) and change shift points only, but even with that suggestion Tune+ was asking me to get a aftermarket intercooler just to get a tune

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oh damn, sweet deal! Yeah go for it then! I can believe the auto isn't that great, but definitely a decent idea for a daily. I would have got a 10 speed auto, but I really prefer the pre-2018s.

An intercooler is a good idea with a tune, but I don't see why he wouldn't just do a mild tune for you if that's what you're asking for. If you really want to use him, ebay intercoolers are just over $200. They're Mishimoto clones, so if he's good with a Mishi intercooler, he/you won't be able to tell the difference haha. After a little time, you'll probably want to drop in an NX2 and start saving for a new block (y) :D

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,236 Posts
Reminds me of the discussions back in the day when I had my R33. Do this don't do this. Rising sun performance blow my motor. Just Jap are the best. Don't modify it if you have over 100k unless you have deep pockets.

I can tell you I broke all the rules and modified with all the bolt ons inc AVCR boost controller (another thing that was argued about constantly) and a Neo AFC and used it as a daily driver flawlessly for 7 years. Worst thing that happened snapped a manifold stud and had to drill it out. Great memories with my Dad working on it.

Have fun modify it, if the cars looked after its only just run in at 100k.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yes, 6 speed auto. Family member upgraded her car and sold it to me at 100k for only 5k. Pristine condition and she drives like a grandma lol. I have a 370z as well that's a manual but it's a bit of a pain to drive to work with since it's on a 6 puck, but my god the 6 speed auto on this car feels like it pulls you into every gear after a good delay. That's really the main reason I really want a tune tbh... I wonder if they can do some sort of stock tune (make it more efficient maybe) and change shift points only, but even with that suggestion Tune+ was asking me to get a aftermarket intercooler just to get a tune
Get an IC. FWIW, the Ford Performance tune comes with its own transmission tune. And I'd also do a transmission fluid and filter swap. Maybe the differential too, depending on when it was done last. You might also wanna check the sparkplugs. These start looking pretty nasty after a year or so.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Reminds me of the discussions back in the day when I had my R33. Do this don't do this. Rising sun performance blow my motor. Just Jap are the best. Don't modify it if you have over 100k unless you have deep pockets.

I can tell you I broke all the rules and modified with all the bolt ons inc AVCR boost controller (another thing that was argued about constantly) and a Neo AFC and used it as a daily driver flawlessly for 7 years. Worst thing that happened snapped a manifold stud and had to drill it out. Great memories with my Dad working on it.

Have fun modify it, if the cars looked after its only just run in at 100k.
I'm sure there are plenty of cars out there that have similar "warnings" or discussions, but coming from VW/Audi and Chevy LS motors, this is definitely not a common discussion for me. Both 2.0t VW motors I had, you can go get a reflash, pick up 50+hp and never bat an eye. Even swap a bigger turbo on and not even question it. This motor is the first time I've actually had to think twice about mild modding lol. There are plenty of documented issues in the past and I still see threads pop up fairly frequently asking about blown head gasket symptoms. Whatever the cause is, it does happen more often than it should, and that's enough for some of us to not want to take the risk of having to front the cost of a new motor. Plenty of people know the risks, dig in anyway, and are totally fine tens of thousands of miles later. After having already been through a new motor personally, I understandably don't want to find out what will cause it again lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.