Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Being an Australian, I can tell you PWR is a great Australian company to deal with.
I have used their quality products on my cars before, such as their autotrans coolers on my Ford Falcons.
Water to air intercoolers are certainly a step up from air to air ones, and look forward to when PWR release their new upcoming range specifically for the Mustang.

Apart from the barrel water intercooler, and water pump, you would also need a small radiator mounted to remove the heat from the water.
I'd be interested though to know where one would mount the water barrel intercooler, especially if used in conjunction with the stock or aftermarket air to air also in place.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Air to Ait intercoolers are more efficiant at removing heat then water to air setups. it would certainly be interesting to see how this setup would work on an EcoBoost Mustang but from experience I can see the engine being more prone to heatsoak with a water to air setup vs air to air...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dont do it!

unless all you are planning on doing is drag racing.
they heatsoak like crazy and are unnecessarily complex and heavy when compared to air to air.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Air to Ait intercoolers are more efficiant at removing heat then water to air setups. it would certainly be interesting to see how this setup would work on an EcoBoost Mustang but from experience I can see the engine being more prone to heatsoak with a water to air setup vs air to air...
That is not true, water has about 4x the heat transfer capability compared to air. A air to water intercooler is more complex but if all the pieces are sized properly heat soak will not be an issue.

Dont do it!

unless all you are planning on doing is drag racing.
they heatsoak like crazy and are unnecessarily complex and heavy when compared to air to air.
Not true, properly sized components in an air to water intercooler system do not have an issue with heat soak and they are less impacted by ambient air temperatures. Granted they they are more complex and weigh more but not so much to keep OEMs from using them. The Hellcat Hemi, the super charged LS, VW's 1.4l turbo and Ford Power Stroke deisel are engines that come mind that come from the factory with air to water intercoolers.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, that is true.

However, with a2w, you have to do the conversion twice..

You also add a lot of complexity (=failure points) and weight to the system.

It may work better in a street or strip environment, but it will never work better than a2a in a roadrace environment.
I have tested and tried a lot of different variations, and it always comes down to a2a being better as long as you can supply the air.

Furthermore, a2w is ‘mostly’ used in positive diplacement type chargers and that may also not be what you want.

A centry blower with a properly designed a2w intercooler will always be simpler with less heatsoak.

That is not true, water has about 4x the heat transfer capability compared to air. A air to water intercooler is more complex but if all the pieces are sized properly heat soak will not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It may work better in a street or strip environment, but it will never work better than a2a in a roadrace environment.
Not sure about that. The Camaro ZL1 & Shelby GT500 are monsters on the road course with therr air to water intercoolers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes they are.
And in the case of the zl1 it works ok. But if you got rid of the pd sc and all the heat exchangers and replaced it with a centri and an a2a ic, it would work even better and it would be a lot lighter

Not sure about that. The Camaro ZL1 & Shelby GT500 are monsters on the road course with therr air to water intercoolers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Water cooling is the most efficient way to control the charge air temperature. It comes with much higher costs and complexity. Since there is more equipment, there is a need to find good locations to place them. With the coolant, there are hoses that may leak. Unless you are rich, or wanting to run a dedicated race car, the standard air-to-air intercoolers are the better value. Car manufacturers have advantages when they decide water cooling is necessary. They have the resources to create a proper design. Aftermarket designs are or are not well designed, and if not, can destroy an engine or fail at inopportune times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Water cooling is the most efficient way to control the charge air temperature.

define efficient...
efficient is only a part of an equation. More efficient than X based on what? size?

If you had an unlimited supply of cool water, then yes...

Aftermarket designs are or are not well designed, and if not, can destroy an engine or fail at inopportune times.
Thats a very subjective statement...

Often times aftermarket is actually BETTER designed than oem for various reasons.
Mostly, OEMs are fighting EPA and trying to not get sued.
Aftermarkets are trying to find more power...

Air to water has the huge benefit of having a LOT of power RIGHT THERE....but you couldnt take a ZL1 to 25hrs of thunderhill...

If you had an air to air intercooler, then you could (but other things would probably fail)

·
Registered
21 Posts
An air to water charge cooling system gets an A, or an A+ driving on the street, but a C+ driving on a road course.

An air to air charge cooling system gets an A- on the street, and an an A or an A+ on a road course.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everything is subjective. An air to water system that is properly designed will have a higher deltaT which is why they are used. The efficiency is gained by the ability to expose more of the charge air to a cooler surface in the intercooler. Being a piped system, also allows coolant radiator to be placed in a location that does not interfere with the engine radiator. Every design is a compromise. A balance of numerous factors that varies from user to user. Car manufacturers have the ability to design the best component, but once that is achieved, they have to decide how much performance to sacrifice to bring the cost down to minimum. Most aftermarket designs are tweaks on existing systems. In any case, a good air to air intercooler is the more practical way to go for most uses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts