Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i just buy a new Mustang Ecoboost with the performance package and the 6 speeds. I will receive the car monday.

Anyone run the JB4 on there ecoboost?
I have one in my previous Bmw 335 with VERY good result.

Do you think a JB4 + downpipe + intercooler + slick can run a high 12 on the 1/4 ?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
A JBL Stage Map 2 tune only gives 306 HP on the dyno. (Map 1 is 286 HP)
A Cobb Stage 2 will give around 320 HP

So I don't think the JBL will get you a high 12 on the 1/4.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Sorry I meant JB4 not JBL... (spelling mistake)

Here is the Dyno graph.... Not as good as going with a Cobb Stage 2 tune...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Edit:- The good thing about the JB4 though, is that it leaves no trace when you remove it should you have a warranty issue, since you are not reflashing the ECU. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You cant compare 2 dyno sheet from 2 differents dyno.
Anyone here with this tune.
In the BMW world the JB4 have endless potentiel since you can have many custom map. I want to know if its the same with the Ecoboost.

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
never heard of it. It's not something normally used on the EB Mustang.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hi, i just buy a new Mustang Ecoboost with the performance package and the 6 speeds. I will receive the car monday.

Anyone run the JB4 on there ecoboost?
I have one in my previous Bmw 335 with VERY good result.

Do you think a JB4 + downpipe + intercooler + slick can run a high 12 on the 1/4 ?
Use the search engine and type in JB4 tune. I’ll go out on a limb and say no one is using the JB4 on this forum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will receive my car monday.

In a week or to i will have installed the basic bolt-on i want to begin with.

Since my car is brand new, i will try the jb4 (impossible to detect from the dealer)
So i will be running
-JB4
-Intercooler
-Downpipe
-FP CAI

With that i will try to be in the high 12 with slick. If that dont work , i will put à pro tune and other necessary mod

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
You need a certain amount of rear wheel horsepower and power to weight ratio to get a Mustang to do a high 12.
To give you an idea, a stock 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT will normally dyno between 350 - 370 HP (depending on the dyno).
A stock 2015 - 2017 GT Mustang can break into the high 12's in the right conditions and with a good launch.

Now an Ecoboost Mustang is a little lighter over the front end so this helps with the power to weight ratio, but runs out of puff at around 5,500 RPM (even tuned), whereas the GT will keep going.
You are going to need to achieve around 350 - 360 WHP from a tune and supporting mods to break a 13 in an Ecoboost Mustang.

The JB4 Map 2 tune (as claimed by Burger Tuning and by their advertised dyno chart) will get you 306 WHP.
The intercooler, downpipe and CAI would have to net you another 44 - 54 HP to reach the 350 - 360 HP.

The question is, will these mods give you that?

If you can achieve this, then you may have a fighting chance at breaking into the high 12's.

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
Just an FYI, most of us recommend AGAINST using any add on that tricks the computer to increase boost. You're certainly welcome to try it and let us know how it goes, just be careful to not open a window in the engine block.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The JB4 is well proven in the BMW world.
It more sophisticated than régular box tune.
It not only control the boost, but also the timing and fuel.
After the installation i will go to the dyno and monitor a/f ratio to make sure.

I am not new to turbo car. I have had Supra, DSM, Volvo, Saab , Gtr, BMW and i have accès to a Dyno.
If that set up dont put me in the high 12, fu...ck the warranty an a new turbo will have a place under the hood ;)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
12 1 and 12.9 is a pretty wide spread in horsepower.
There are documented cases of auto trans eco''s making 315whp/360wtq doing high 12's in the quarter.
Watchmyeco's car is making 360whp/390+wtq on the stock turbo with an E30 tune and it can do a high 11 if the conditions are right
The shape of power curve mixed with the peak power + traction and weight determines the acceleration characteristics.

Here is watchmyeco doing an 11.7

Here is a dyno run of his car.

Here is Boostang' Stratified pro tuned for 93 with just plugs and an intercooler doing 12.9

Here is his dyno run 316whp/360wtq

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I should add that most of us dont recommend sensor intercept devices to raise performance because of the multiple engine failures reported by people using the JMS Boostmax sensor intercept device.

The JB4 is unfamiliar to us here so it may or may not be good, you will be heading into uncharted territory with this device.
If you do decide to test the JB4 please share a detailed review with the community so we dont mistakenly exile what could be a potentially good mod.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have also order a CPE intercooler, spark plug and drop in filter from Adam Tune.

In the next week i will Go on the dyno for an before/after comparaison.

Depending on the log, i will play with the custom Map 6

·
Registered
10 Posts
How would you describe the overall performance of the car compared to stock? Does the top end pull any better?

I have also order a CPE intercooler, spark plug and drop in filter from Adam Tune.

In the next week i will Go on the dyno for an before/after comparaison.

Depending on the log, i will play with the custom Map 6

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi, I have receive my JB4 an have installed it right away ;)

I have only test the map 1 for now but ....
WOW ! It’s night and day ! I will make some log this weekend and send it to BurgerTuning to make sure all it ok but even on the base map 1, the car pull MUCH harder. If the map 3 can run with the 94 octane we have here in Quebec it will be awesome. Also, on the dyno and track, i can make a custom map 6 !
A lot of fun in the future for me to play with that. I am so happy.

I will add dyno number and results at the track as soon as I have my appointment.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts