Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car recently broke down because of some tranny issue and I sent it to a transmission shop which gave me an estimated quote of 6.5k to rebuild the transmission is this accurate. My car is a 2016 ecoboost automatic.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
That seem a bit high to me to rebuild, seems more like the cost of a remanufactured trans swap.

BD

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
My car recently broke down because of some tranny issue and I sent it to a transmission shop which gave me an estimated quote of 6.5k to rebuild the transmission is this accurate. My car is a 2016 ecoboost automatic.
$6500!??
To pull and reinstall the transmission, should be $1000 (8 hours x $125 per hour). Cost of a 6R80 rebuilt automatic transmission and torque converter (less core) is $3000.... That leaves $2500 for miscellaneous, overhead and profit.... Sounds like a lot of money for a days work!
Call around, you should be able to find a shop that will do the job for $5000 to $5500!?

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Learned a few things from my old man....but one of the first and foremost things I remember is: ALWAYS. GET. THREE. QUOTES.

For anything. For absolutely anything.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
8 hours is still high to R&R a trans, I used to remove and rebuild a 350 or 400 tranny and reinstall in about 5 to 6 hours when still working as a tech. Front wheel drive trans would take an hour or so more but to just R&R a trans should be no more than 4 hours even with programming.

Get some more quotes.

BD

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8 hours is still high to R&R a trans, I used to remove and rebuild a 350 or 400 tranny and reinstall in about 5 to 6 hours when still working as a tech. Front wheel drive trans would take an hour or so more but to just R&R a trans should be no more than 4 hours even with programming.

Get some more quotes.

BD
I've already sent it to a shop to get it looked at and he gave me the 6.5k estimate but I haven't decided to get it repaired yet so I will call around other shops for quotes. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts