Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys im pretty sure I want to do a balance shaft delete. theres really no reason why I should have one and there are too many positives. anyways its not really that important but what does the balance shaft delete (plug) actually do? it plugs an oil passageway im assuming?

also my cars low point is the oil pan which isnt ideal.. about 3" off the ground.

if you imagine the 2.3l mustang ecoboosts oil pan as three levels of depth because that's how it is, you have the least deep section in the front, a moderately deep section in the middle and then finally the deepest section at the rear where the drain plug is found. what I want to do is chop off the rear section up to about the bellhousings depth and then either weld the bottom of it back on or just weld a plate over the hole and tap a drain plug. that way I can get it closer to the level where my subframe is. (remove about 1-2" of depth) that way my exhaust will the lowpoint of the car rather than the oil pan.

anybody see any issues with that idea(nothing in the way ect.)? should I add baffles to the oil pan while im doing all that since im going to delete the balance shaft? id probably lose about a qt of oil capacity but that would be offset by the balance shaft delete which increases oil capacity.

cheers.

-edited to prevent confusion

·
Registered
519 Posts
hey guys im pretty sure I want to do a balance shaft delete. theres really no reason why I should have one and there are too many positives. anyways its not really that important but what does the balance shaft delete actually do?

it plugs an oil passageway im assuming?

also my cars low point is the oil pan which isnt ideal.. about 3" off the ground.

if you imagine the 2.3l mustang ecoboosts oil pan as three levels of depth because that's how it is, you have the least deep section in the front, a moderately deep section in the middle and then finally the deepest section at the rear where the drain plug is found. what I want to do is chop off the rear section up to about the bellhousings depth and then either weld the bottom of it back on or just weld a plate over the hole and tap a drain plug. that way I can get it closer to the level where my subframe is. (remove about 1-2" of depth) that way my exhaust will the lowpoint of the car rather than the oil pan.

anybody see any issues with that idea(nothing in the way ect.)? should I add baffles to the oil pan while im doing all that since im going to delete the balance shaft? id probably lose about a qt of oil capacity but that would be offset by the balance shaft delete which increases oil capacity.

cheers.
Inline 4 engines introduce more nvh (noise, vibration, harshness) then V shape engines due to the cylinder configuration. A balance shaft helps reduce this nvh while reducing oil capacity. Balance shafts also take up rotating mass from the engine. A balance shaft delete has the advantage of increasing oil capacity and engine rotating mass giving you a little more torque at the bottom of the powerband. They will however introduce some nvh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inline 4 engines introduce more nvh (noise, vibration, harshness) then V shape engines due to the cylinder configuration. A balance shaft helps reduce this nvh while reducing oil capacity. Balance shafts also take up rotating mass from the engine. A balance shaft delete has the advantage of increasing oil capacity and engine rotating mass giving you a little more torque at the bottom of the powerband. They will however introduce some nvh.
frankly I am not asking about the purpose of nor the basic advantages and disadvantages of the balance shaft delete I have already done my research there and have an understanding. as per my allusion to that "theres really no reason why I should have one and there are too many positives".

perhaps you didn't read my full post and that's why you are confused however I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
519 Posts
frankly I am not asking about the purpose of nor the basic advantages and disadvantages of the balance shaft delete I have already done my research there and have an understanding. as per my allusion to that "theres really no reason why I should have one and there are too many positives".

perhaps you didn't read my full post and that's why you are confused however I appreciate your reply.
I don't see how that will be an issue as long as the oil pan is sealed tight and you have no leaks after the mod. The balance shaft delete should give you about .5 qt of additional oil capacity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see how that will be an issue as long as the oil pan is sealed tight and you have no leaks after the mod. The balance shaft delete should give you about .5 qt of additional oil capacity.
absolutely, it must be welded properly. just wondering perhaps the oil pickup is at that depth and therefore the pan isn't able to be shortened like that? I don't know.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I haven't done a shaft delete yet, but it is on my to do list. I don't see why you couldn't modify the pan. As long as your oil pickup has sufficient room, it should be fine. You could also expand width-wise if more oil capacity is needed, but like you said, you are probably offsetting oil capacity loss with capacity gain, so no real foul there. I'd say check your pickup clearances and go for it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I could not answer your question, but this video has some pretty good imagery of the pan with the lid off. It's on a focus 2.0 engine, but it should be similar. Might give you some perspective to help get your answer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't done a shaft delete yet, but it is on my to do list. I don't see why you couldn't modify the pan. As long as your oil pickup has sufficient room, it should be fine. You could also expand width-wise if more oil capacity is needed, but like you said, you are probably offsetting oil capacity loss with capacity gain, so no real foul there. I'd say check your pickup clearances and go for it.
that's the plan! I will only be taking one or two inches off the deepest part of the oil pan so with the BSD I think oil capacity wont be decreased much or at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could not answer your question, but this video has some pretty good imagery of the pan with the lid off. It's on a focus 2.0 engine, but it should be similar. Might give you some perspective to help get your answer.

that video was super helpful to see what the process is and what im getting into. based on the vid it appears I will have absolutely no problem shortening the oil pan a bit, the oil pickup isn't even in the area that im going to shorten so we should be all good!

im in the middle of pulling the motor and tranny right now from the car and when I have them out im going to do the delete and chop the pan and I will take pictures and update the thread with the results.

now the only thing im wondering is if I should do anything about baffling in the oil pan. the focus guys and mountune seem to add baffles when doing a BSD. if anyone has any suggestions as far as that goes im all ears. I may weld in some pieces of aluminum angle iron/ plate but I wouldn't really know what I was doing

·
Registered
785 Posts
that video was super helpful to see what the process is and what im getting into. based on the vid it appears I will have absolutely no problem shortening the oil pan a bit, the oil pickup isn't even in the area that im going to shorten so we should be all good!

im in the middle of pulling the motor and tranny right now from the car and when I have them out im going to do the delete and chop the pan and I will take pictures and update the thread with the results.

now the only thing im wondering is if I should do anything about baffling in the oil pan. the focus guys and mountune seem to add baffles when doing a BSD. if anyone has any suggestions as far as that goes im all ears. I may weld in some pieces of aluminum angle iron/ plate but I wouldn't really know what I was doing
From what I have read / researched, I don't think baffles would be absolutely required. But, if you are already doing some welding on the pan, it wouldn't hurt to engineer something. If you could come up with a simple system to put in place, it might help, especially on intense track days.

·
Registered
519 Posts
From what I have read / researched, I don't think baffles would be absolutely required. But, if you are already doing some welding on the pan, it wouldn't hurt to engineer something. If you could come up with a simple system to put in place, it might help, especially on intense track days.
Mountune sells a baffled oil pan that includes the balance shaft delete kit. They only list the RS and ST as being compatible but the product listing says 2.0/2.3 kit. Not sure if the Mustang and RS have identical oil pans.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Mountune sells a baffled oil pan that includes the balance shaft delete kit. They only list the RS and ST as being compatible but the product listing says 2.0/2.3 kit. Not sure if the Mustang and RS have identical oil pans.
I saw that. Not sure either. I assume different since our platform is RWD, but don't know for sure. Would be nice if somebody would make one though. A blockoff plug and new baffled pan would make a great one stop shop kit. There's a dozen companies that offer the blockoff plates, but no baffled pans that I have seen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the baffle kits sold are for the rs and the st and they have a different oil pan than the mustang ecoboost which is the engine that im using. so theres a good chance they wouldn't fit but you never know. if mountune had a phone number I would call them and ask them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but I certainly would feel better with baffles as this car will be tracked very hard.

·
Registered
785 Posts
but I certainly would feel better with baffles as this car will be tracked very hard.
For your intended use then, I would create some sort of baffle system. I'd just research some other examples and weld something in while you had the pan off. Anything has to be better than nothing right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the motor pulled and the balance shaft removed.

the oil from just running the motor for a few hours is so saturated with fine metallic particles and even large size aluminum pieces... it looks so weird and almost smells of fuel. I hope the motor isn't damaged

2018 mustang ecoboosts have a steel oil pickup just fyi

20lbs of trash

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i really don't want to reuse the oil that I drained out of this motor with less than 3 hours on it.... change your oil before 1000 miles at the latest people!!!! I would personally change at 100 then 1000 then every 5-10k

bottom end minus balance shaft

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the oil pickup appears to be at the bottom of the deepest section of the oil pan so I don't think im going to bother shortening the oil pan because then id have to modify the oil pickup and I really don't feel like doing that over an inch or two of ground clearance to be completely honest

on the plus side I would imagine that would make it pretty good at getting oil without pulling air during even hard cornering.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That's a lot of metal! When I did my first two oil changes, I sent samples to the lab. The lab told me I had high amounts of metal in it (to be expected). The second one was better as more metal has filtered out. I think you are right. Change it often and get that crap out on new motors. I know some guys swear by different break-in techniques and intervals, but I personally don't want shavings floating around in my motor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts