Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys semi new mustang ecoboost owner here. I have 2016 and i was just wondering whats the best build or way to get my mustang to max horsepower 500+ while still having some reliability. I know it will take time and money. I am located in ohio just wanting to know any places that can help with getting my mustang to its max potential.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Youll first have to build the engine. Most put in a 2.0 block and upgrade the rods and pistons as those are the weak points on the engine.There are other things on the engine that can be upgraded too like cams and valvetrain. anything over 500 HP will require having the crankshaft and sproket keyed as the friction plates tend to slip past 500 HP. The high pressure fuel pump is also quite weak and taps out at close to 400-420 HP so youll need to upgrade that too. Injectors will also need upgrading to support anything over 450 HP. Those three upgrades are not cheap. I've got a high pressure fuel pump upgrade sitting in my garage waiting to install that cost about $1300. you might want to start with some bolt ons like intake and exhaust and pair it with a tune from a COBB pro tuner. youll get some nice power gains and still keep the engine reliable as long as the power is kept under the limits of the stock block (400HP).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Youll first have to build the engine. Most put in a 2.0 block and upgrade the rods and pistons as those are the weak points on the engine.There are other things on the engine that can be upgraded too like cams and valvetrain. anything over 500 HP will require having the crankshaft and sproket keyed as the friction plates tend to slip past 500 HP. The high pressure fuel pump is also quite weak and taps out at close to 400-420 HP so youll need to upgrade that too. Injectors will also need upgrading to support anything over 450 HP. Those three upgrades are not cheap. I've got a high pressure fuel pump upgrade sitting in my garage waiting to install that cost about $1300. you might want to start with some bolt ons like intake and exhaust and pair it with a tune from a COBB pro tuner. youll get some nice power gains and still keep the engine reliable as long as the power is kept under the limits of the stock block (400HP).
Do you mean 400 whp or 400 bhp?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Edit

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Good honest, well informed information!!
Would you "guesstimate"... 500 horsepower = about 10,000 dollars?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Good honest, well informed information!!
Would you "guesstimate"... 500 horsepower = about 10,000 dollars?
It's gonna be more then that. My built longblock alone is costing me just over $7k and you'll need to upgrade the fuel system and turbo at minimum. You also have to consider other boltons too like intake, exhaust and intercooler. It's gonna be more like $15k as the turbo and fuel system upgrades are pretty close to $6k. Most people don't buy everything at once so they don't realize the total cost of their build without doing some thinking and math. I'm probably about $14k deep into my build at this point with my longblock and it will be worth it from a reliability standpoint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone seen this? They said it was done with stock engine....

I’m also wondering if anyone has put on an LFP 550 or Roush Supercharger on a ‘16 model.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
No, I haven't seen this article... Good information! I'll have to research FFTEC and learn more about there product. Thanks!

PS: Nice that they show the intake air data, I'd also like to see DA and Charge Temp, etc.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
FFTEC is closed, haven't found any history on the car itself!
I would be willing to bet that it is not. Even their last comment showed that they question the reliability View attachment 40694
Sure would like to find out what happened to these early Modified Ecoboost Mustangs! I've been researching water to air intercoolers and have come across other early builds!

·
Registered
513 Posts
FFTEC is closed, haven't found any history on the car itself!

Sure would like to find out what happened to these early Modified Ecoboost Mustangs! I've been researching water to air intercoolers and have come across other early builds!
Many early builds went boom when pushed beyond stock as many were pushing hard and didn't know the theoretical safe limits.

Not all but a few I would say. And i would be willing to say a lot that didn't were sold before they did or a less aggressive calibration was uploaded.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Many early builds went boom when pushed beyond stock as many were pushing hard and didn't know the theoretical safe limits.

Not all but a few I would say. And i would be willing to say a lot that didn't were sold before they did or a less aggressive calibration was uploaded.
I have found some information on Brad Gusler's early 2015 build, it's posted under the Drag Racing column. It's amazing how far he got on a factory block!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hey guys semi new mustang ecoboost owner here. I have 2016 and i was just wondering whats the best build or way to get my mustang to max horsepower 500+ while still having some reliability. I know it will take time and money. I am located in ohio just wanting to know any places that can help with getting my mustang to its max potential.
Looks like Jessie Ringling of EMS (engineered motorsport solutions) is king of the hill!!

Tire Wheel Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
715 Posts
Looks like Jessie Ringling of EMS (engineered motorsport solutions) is king of the hill!!
Jessie RINGLEY
Since you throw the man's name around quite a bit, you should at least make an effort to get it right, right?! 😉

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Jessie RINGLEY
Since you throw the man's name around quite a bit, you should at least make an effort to get it right, right?! 😉
Shoooot! Your right!!
Without spell check, I'm lost...

The guy treats me right! No matter what I need, he tracks it down and gets it for me!
Plus he does a lot of ecoboost research and development, which benefits all of us!

"Thanks for setting me straight"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts