Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any brand name replacement battery will do the trick. Seeing that your from up north you may want to opt for an upgrade with a higher CCA rating. There are ultra light race batteries too, but they are not pocket friendly!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Only a few factories make batteries, so all the different brands are just labels. I get my Interstate batteries at Costco. Considerably cheaper and a better warranty. Don't fall for the Opti... Just a higher price and no better lifespan.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I try to keep my batteries from getting old by using a "Battery MINDer" that I got at Northern Tools a few years ago. It's not a trickle charger but a maintainer that keeps the battery at optimum charge and will not over-charge or boil it dry like a constant charger will. this also has a high frequency pulse that de-sulfates the lead plates and keeps it suspended in the electrolyte (water acid solution). The sulfide buildup on the plates is what eventually kills batteries. I switch it back and forth between both of my cars. My 2016 Mustang still has the factory battery which are usually the cheapest thing that Ford can get them to roll off the showroom with, and It's doing fine so far. My Corvette sits for long periods between outings, so It is connected most of the time. That battery has been in the Vette since 2012 and shows no sign of aging at all. It spins that 350 V8 over like a brand new battery. Just a short blip on the key, and it's running!
My Son got one about a year ago and keeps it on his old PU Truck that doesn't get used much, and it seems to be keeping that old battery healthy as well. Mine cost about $50 back when I got it, but a couple of weeks ago Northern tools has a new updated version of the same model that was selling for only $25 !
Like any other part, Battery MAINTENANCE seems to be key to longevity ! (y)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Only a few factories make batteries, so all the different brands are just labels. I get my Interstate batteries at Costco. Considerably cheaper and a better warranty. Don't fall for the Opti... Just a higher price and no better lifespan.
An excellent point! The largest battery manufacturer is Johnson Controls. They make Interstate, Optima and many others. They actually build batteries for O.E.M. manufacturers. I've heard that Optima batteries are not as good as they used to be; because they're now made in Mexico. So, an Interstate battery would be a good call. I also like AC Delco batteries. They are well-made and seem to last a good log time. I'm also on the battery maintainer bandwagon. I don't drive my car for extended periods of time, so a maintainer will keep the battery fresh and ready to crank it up!

·
Registered
846 Posts
An excellent point! The largest battery manufacturer is Johnson Controls. They make Interstate, Optima and many others. They actually build batteries for O.E.M. manufacturers. I've heard that Optima batteries are not as good as they used to be; because they're now made in Mexico. So, an Interstate battery would be a good call. I also like AC Delco batteries. They are well-made and seem to last a good log time. I'm also on the battery maintainer bandwagon. I don't drive my car for extended periods of time, so a maintainer will keep the battery fresh and ready to crank it up!
Oops...I meant to say "long," not log. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts