Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ecoboost convertible premium
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes. What would you guys recommend? Go with a complete big brake kit or just upgrade my rotors and pads?? I don't have the HPP. So, I have the base model brakes. It's a daily driver. I don't take it to the dragstrip, and I don't do autocross. Let me know what you think guys/gals. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes. What would you guys recommend? Go with a complete big brake kit or just upgrade my rotors and pads?? I don't have the HPP. So, I have the base model brakes. It's a daily driver. I don't take it to the dragstrip, and I don't do autocross. Let me know what you think guys/gals. I appreciate it.
The go to choice for many has been to upgrade to stock GT brakes. You'd be going from 2 pot to 4 pot calipers up front and larger rotors too. On the rear you'd see a slight increase too but still single pot calipers. You can find used 4 pot gt calipers around the $220 range for a front set. It's a very inexpensive big brake upgrade.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The go to choice for many has been to upgrade to stock GT brakes. You'd be going from 2 pot to 4 pot calipers up front and larger rotors too. On the rear you'd see a slight increase too but still single pot calipers. You can find used 4 pot gt calipers around the $220 range for a front set. It's a very inexpensive big brake upgrade.
Will they bolt right up without any modification? If its a bigger rotor I assume that the calipers won't mount up in the same holes and the stock ecoboost caliper holes?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Will they bolt right up without any modification? If its a bigger rotor I assume that the calipers won't mount up in the same holes and the stock ecoboost caliper holes?
Its a direct bolt up on the Eco. Stock GT brakes are what you get on a PP Eco. I think you might need to remove the dust shields and replace with GT dust shields but that is about it. Id get a set of powerstop extreme pads and rotors for the front and rear at the same time and youll have a budget friendly BBK. Check out parts farm for used calipers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The factory front dust shields work with the GT brakes, though they are too small. I believe you do need to use the GT rear dust shields though. I used the factory Eco dust shields in the front and the GTs in the rear when I did the upgrade and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: Husky1971

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
540 Posts
Do you have a set budget? I have the base GT calipers on the HPP but I did swap out the stock pads the first week , couldn't stand how dusty they were. I use powerstop extreme z26 pads and Baer Radispeed 2 piece rotors. The z26 pads don't have the initial bite the stocks did which I didn't like anyways, get the z26 pads a little warm and they are perfect in my opinion for spirited sreet driving. The Baer rotors are pricey and only got them because I found them on sale for around $400 less than full price. They are lighter than stock rotors also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a set budget? I have the base GT calipers on the HPP but I did swap out the stock pads the first week , couldn't stand how dusty they were. I use powerstop extreme z26 pads and Baer Radispeed 2 piece rotors. The z26 pads don't have the initial bite the stocks did which I didn't like anyways, get the z26 pads a little warm and they are perfect in my opinion for spirited sreet driving. The Baer rotors are pricey and only got them because I found them on sale for around $400 less than full price. They are lighter than stock rotors also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Sweet set up. Price is definitely a factor. There's a company called R1 CONCEPTS out of California that I use for my wife and kids' cars. Their rotors and pads are very reasonable and excellent quality and performance. I will get the gt calipers with their GEOMET carbon rotors and pads.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
301 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
540 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ordered a set of 2019 GT calipers 4 piston front and rear calipers from ebay-- Then I cancelled my 2019 base order from carvana and ordered the 2019 PP Premium. So i no longer need these. they are for sale if you need some.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just ordered a set of 2019 GT calipers 4 piston front and rear calipers from ebay-- Then I cancelled my 2019 base order from carvana and ordered the 2019 PP Premium. So i no longer need these. they are for sale if you need some.
I did my 4 pot upgrade a while ago. I'm working on getting my build finished and running so I can dial in my big turbo tune.

·
Administrator
6,658 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Please keep a very close eye on those rotors. Drilling metal fatigues it and will lead to stress cracks between the holes on those things. I don't trust them any further than I can throw them.
Thanks for that Squid, it's a good point and fair suggestion. It does however lead to a huge amount of questions around the popularity and performance aspects of drilled/slotted rotors, and why they are used in so many high performance applications. I'm not at all disagreeing with your statement, clearly you guys do a ton more track and SCCA racing than I do, so this is coming from a place of ignorance, but if this is the case then what should we (or I) be looking for in a good set of performance brakes? I'm not necessarily looking to do the GT upgrade, but from a shade tree perspective what exactly are the downsides to a kit like the power stop kit or any other drilled or slotted setup?

·
Administrator
6,658 Posts
It does however lead to a huge amount of questions around the popularity and performance aspects of drilled/slotted rotors, and why they are used in so many high performance applications.
I've seen a LOT of Porsches and other cars at the track with cracks in those drilled rotors. The owners are also surprised that it is happening. GT3 and other professional race teams swap rotors like we swap Ozarka bottles, so they aren't on long enough to suffer from cracking altho they do crack due to the heat.
Slotted rotors aren't as bad as you aren't going through the metal completely. My rotor of choice is a solid surface/vented rotor from Ford. I have great luck with them and for those of us on track a lot, rotors are a consumable like brake pads. In fact my rotors wear out faster than the G-LOC pads I'm running now.

I'm not saying don't do it, but really keep a close eye on them if you're performance driving your Mustang.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I've seen a LOT of Porsches and other cars at the track with cracks in those drilled rotors. The owners are also surprised that it is happening. GT3 and other professional race teams swap rotors like we swap Ozarka bottles, so they aren't on long enough to suffer from cracking altho they do crack due to the heat.
Slotted rotors aren't as bad as you aren't going through the metal completely. My rotor of choice is a solid surface/vented rotor from Ford. I have great luck with them and for those of us on track a lot, rotors are a consumable like brake pads. In fact my rotors wear out faster than the G-LOC pads I'm running now.

I'm not saying don't do it, but really keep a close eye on them if you're performance driving your Mustang.
Awesome info Squid, thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always thought of getting some AP Racing Big Brake Kits. The US dealer appears to be Essex Racing in North Carolina. I tried to see if they could do a custom kit for not-so-common car (Merkur XR4Ti) and they didn't offer it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a '18 EB PP car. The GT 4 piston brakes were PLENTY of brake for a street car (I also have a '17 GT vert with these brakes). I do some HPDE, pushing the car very hard (I'm a HPDE instructor), and the 4 pistons were not quite up to the task. I swapped them for the GT PP 6 pistons, which have worked very well over the last three years. I run OE rotors with additional cooling ducts. They are inexpensive and durable. I just replace them at the start of each track season.

As some others have noted here, drilled rotors can be more prone to cracking, especially when used on track. If you track the car and replace the drilled rotors after 3-4 track days, you should be fine. Drilled rotors on a street car probably won't experience any issues (they never get that hot).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts