Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Sorry if this has been previously discussed, but has anyone powder coated or plasti-dipped these rims in black? I like the style, but doesn’t go well with my black and orange look on my ‘15 S550 EB. If this has been discussed, can someone please send me the link so I can make my decision if I want to do them black or buy some black GT rims instead? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
Hey guys,
Sorry if this has been previously discussed, but has anyone powder coated or plasti-dipped these rims in black? I like the style, but doesn’t go well with my black and orange look on my ‘15 S550 EB. If this has been discussed, can someone please send me the link so I can make my decision if I want to do them black or buy some black GT rims instead? Thanks!
Post up a side view of your car in good light. Maybe someone on here could photoshop the wheels black and you could see what they look like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve posted this one before but it captures the whole ride and the rims. If anyone can render something with what these rims would look like black, I would be very thankful!

84B87BDC-A9B9-4D2B-8CE9-F6B7DE932DF6.jpeg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@tfribourg can you post some pictures of your rims (prefer before and after to compare)? Also, do you have the same style of rims I do? Lastly, did you just tape off some plastic in the tire wells and around the actual tires so no overspray got on anything it wasn’t supposed to? I can get some of the mods I want for the same price as the GT replica rims, so that’s why I’m exploring my options before I pull the trigger on anything. I’m also not the most tire/rim-savvy when it comes to knowing what will fit, what won’t, what will rub, what won’t other than I believe the S550s have 5x114 lug pattern, but I’m sure if I’m wrong, someone will correct me. Any insight to this, preference on tires and rims, if I should downgrade to 18” rims (since I was told they wouldn’t rub and I can put “meatier” shoes on them if I go that route), or stick with the 19” rims. I went to Costco for my shoes for my Flex and got a great deal and warranty, but they don’t carry 19” rims, so I got a quote for 18” and shoes for $1600 out-the-door and then I could keep or sell my current setup to make up some of the difference, or my local tire and shoe store said he can do the 19” GT replicas and my shoes will work on them for $1500 plus tax out-the-door. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
I did plasti-dip on the wheels on the Focus I owned before I bought my Mustang. You're better off putting the car on jack stands and doing it with the wheels off. That way you don't have to stuff trash bags into the wheels to keep from spraying plastic on the brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@zhent appreciate the advice!! To avoid any overspray onto the tire itself, did you just tape plastic to cover the tire? I’ve heard some people use playing cards, as they stick in between the rims and tires really well and block any overspray. Also, if I don’t like the look after using the plasti-dip, can I just peel it off or spray something on it to remove it? I also learned yesterday after closer look, it looks like there was some sticker of some sort on one of my rims, as it’s white and feels like sticker-texture, so plan on using goo gone and something else (got to do some research) to remove it without removing any finish off my current rims.

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
yes, you want the wheels as clean as possible and completely dry before you start. I did the playing card method with the plasti-dip, and the overspray doesn't travel far when doing them. You could tape plastic to the tires as well. It's all about how much you want to prep. I also recommend a good coat of tire shine on the tire sidewalls before you start. Any overspray that gets past whatever method you use to stop the majority of it will be super easy to clean off since it won't stick.

To remove it, there's a product called Dip Release that you can spray on it, let it sit for a few, then hit it with a power washer and it runs right off.

Personally I'm not a fan of black wheels, so when I did mine, I went from gunmetal to bronze...

Before:
After:

I've even seen it driving around recently and the dip is still holding up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@zhent looks very nice on the Focus. My Flex is pretty much blacked out, except for the reverse lights (since even with a back-up camera, my wife still struggles to see when I’m reverse) and with my S550, I plan to do black and orange on the exterior except for blue callipers, under the hood is going to be black, orange and blue and I have my ambient lighting and gauge color set to blue. I’m also debating out of blue and black seats and blue seat belts or how I want to “dress up” the interior. What else is holding me back is since I have the 50th anniversary (which doesn’t make sense because 50 years would be 2014 1/2, not 2015), I like the special badges on the seats, dash, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
Yeah, with the Orange car, you're pretty limited on secondary colors, so I can understand going with black.

Good luck. As with any sort of painting, it's all in teh prep.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, I was trying to think of a good accent and I’ve always been keen on the darker blues or I was debating on neon green, but a) I would have to do a lot of the engine dress up myself and b) I don’t my car that “loud”. I couldn’t agree more with the more and better prep, the better it will look. I’ve never used plasti-dip, heard a lot about it (some good, some not), and didn’t know which route to go. I think I’ll try it, if I don’t like it, I’m out, $50-$100? Better than being out $1500-$1600. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
I’ve posted this one before but it captures the whole ride and the rims. If anyone can render something with what these rims would look like black, I would be very thankful!

Not a great chop, but here's black.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @Squid!! Looks a lot better than I pictured it. Like I was saying before, if I don’t like it, I’m only out minimal amount of money so I’m going to buy some plasti-dip spray before next weekend and make it a project. Thanks again for the tender!! Really appreciate it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts